Applying to b-school on a lark -- is it worth it?

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- A NY transplant like you could dominate the SoCal > finance scene. > i already dominate the socal finance scene convincingly, so not such a good call after all

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > eureka Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > A NY transplant like you could dominate the SoCal > > finance scene. > > > > i already dominate the socal finance scene > convincingly, so not such a good call after all True, but with the help of an dazzling NY transplant people wouldn’t even know finance existed before you got there.

In all seriousness, I think the main reason I would not want to apply on b-school “on a lark” is the essay writing process. I mean, it’s just a pain. At least the GMAT is a defined amount of time, but I hated writing college scholarship essays and I was idealistic then so I could tell the truth. Now, it’s all about the benjis and prestige but you have to act like their’s another reason in your essay. Seriously, why else do people go to b-school?

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah Asians don’t count as minorities in the > academic world. That is, if you’re indian or chinese.

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also thought I was a shoe-in at these schools > (Top15 undergrad w/honors AND varsity sports, > MC+IB experience, 750GMAT, minority, and I > de-wormed orphans in the jungles of LatAm), but > had to reapply the following year after being WL > at CBS and because I was in an extended sabbatical > (takes a while to de-worm all those orphans) I had > to settle down the rankings the following year. > It is a lot more competitive than what you think, > you might want to throw a USC/UCLA and a couple of > other safeties in there. How could you go wrong with these credentials? Be honest, where did you f8ck up?

No kidding, he probably had a criminal record, some sort of securities violation, or he was a real jack@ss on his essays or interview. I mean not even louisvillegrad can choke that bad.

lol^

In response to the original post, I’d save the $250 and whatever else you can manage from your summer job earnings to put toward your first car; that will make high school a lot more enjoyable. Harvard Business School (!) can wait until after college.

He probably had minimal job exp. Either that or he contracted worms from those orphans, and a worm crawled out of his nose during the interview. Or just a plain old awful personality.

If he was born in 1975 as his handle indicates that would make him 34 which would be plenty of work experience. He must have absolutely bombed the interview or something.

His name is ceo1975. If he was a 34 yr old CEO, he probably isn’t applying to B-School.

just watched this doc. on HBS this morning - http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1178839117&play=1

I know plenty of 34 year old CEOs. Any schmo who launches a startup can call himself a CEO, doesn’t mean they’re making more than minimum wage.

phBOOM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ceo1975 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I also thought I was a shoe-in at these schools > > (Top15 undergrad w/honors AND varsity sports, > > MC+IB experience, 750GMAT, minority, and I > > de-wormed orphans in the jungles of LatAm), but > > had to reapply the following year after being > WL > > at CBS and because I was in an extended > sabbatical > > (takes a while to de-worm all those orphans) I > had > > to settle down the rankings the following year. > > > It is a lot more competitive than what you > think, > > you might want to throw a USC/UCLA and a couple > of > > other safeties in there. > > How could you go wrong with these credentials? Be > honest, where did you f8ck up? I’m a hispanic immigrant and I’m not asian or indian. My feeling is that some schools didn’t like the fact that I took a couple of years off traveling through the motherland trying to find myself, working at NGOs and questioning how capitalism affects the bottom of the pyramid. In the end everything worked out for the better. I found the perfect girl during the extra year off, and where I eventually went for my MBA allowed to get the internship at the World Bank that I wanted, plus after graduation, I got the perfect job for me.

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My feeling is that some schools didn’t > like the fact that I took a couple of years off > traveling through the motherland trying to find > myself, working at NGOs and questioning how > capitalism affects the bottom of the pyramid. Mystery solved. numi–pay attention.

Greatly appreciate your insight. Glad things worked out for you.

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > phBOOM Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ceo1975 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I also thought I was a shoe-in at these > schools > > > (Top15 undergrad w/honors AND varsity sports, > > > MC+IB experience, 750GMAT, minority, and I > > > de-wormed orphans in the jungles of LatAm), > but > > > had to reapply the following year after being > > WL > > > at CBS and because I was in an extended > > sabbatical > > > (takes a while to de-worm all those orphans) > I > > had > > > to settle down the rankings the following > year. > > > > > It is a lot more competitive than what you > > think, > > > you might want to throw a USC/UCLA and a > couple > > of > > > other safeties in there. > > > > How could you go wrong with these credentials? > Be > > honest, where did you f8ck up? > > > I’m a hispanic immigrant and I’m not asian or > indian. My feeling is that some schools didn’t > like the fact that I took a couple of years off > traveling through the motherland trying to find > myself, working at NGOs and questioning how > capitalism affects the bottom of the pyramid. > > In the end everything worked out for the better. > I found the perfect girl during the extra year > off, and where I eventually went for my MBA > allowed to get the internship at the World Bank > that I wanted, plus after graduation, I got the > perfect job for me. Sounds like you want do NGO work. Whats with the CFA then?

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > phBOOM Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ceo1975 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I also thought I was a shoe-in at these > schools > > > (Top15 undergrad w/honors AND varsity sports, > > > MC+IB experience, 750GMAT, minority, and I > > > de-wormed orphans in the jungles of LatAm), > but > > > had to reapply the following year after being > > WL > > > at CBS and because I was in an extended > > sabbatical > > > (takes a while to de-worm all those orphans) > I > > had > > > to settle down the rankings the following > year. > > > > > It is a lot more competitive than what you > > think, > > > you might want to throw a USC/UCLA and a > couple > > of > > > other safeties in there. > > > > How could you go wrong with these credentials? > Be > > honest, where did you f8ck up? > > > I’m a hispanic immigrant and I’m not asian or > indian. My feeling is that some schools didn’t > like the fact that I took a couple of years off > traveling through the motherland trying to find > myself, working at NGOs and questioning how > capitalism affects the bottom of the pyramid. > > In the end everything worked out for the better. > I found the perfect girl during the extra year > off, and where I eventually went for my MBA > allowed to get the internship at the World Bank > that I wanted, plus after graduation, I got the > perfect job for me. i thought the top names liked people who take sabbaticals helping africa get civilized? or maybe they are ok with it if the candidate is a VIP legacy. just the same.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about Harlem? I didn’t party there but it’s > close. Would I get shot? Racist comment jack. thanks for adding to the forum. -5.

I’m not sure how he’s being racist when statistically speaking you are much more likely to get shot in Harlem than in Manhattan south of 96th St.