Attack against French Magazine

It was a question of context : heinous (and quite frankly, dumb and illiterate) posts implying that the people in France got what they deserved.

That idiot deserved to get banned.

The pics could have been fine in a constructive conversation, even though they don’t have their place in a finance forum IMO.

^ its a matter of those images not being appropriate at most AF members workplaces. pictures of torture are well over the line when it comes to the SFW debate. to go further, nudity of any form, including Indian abs, should be limited. if pictures like the torture ones that were posted are allowed, i know that i personally would not be able to access AF at work anymore which means i would likely become inactive on the forum. as the key contributors/resources on the forum are those with fairly serious jobs, i doubt the board is willing to lose those members to protect people and discussions that generally take away from forum discussion and value.

if you want to flame key forum contributors and post inappropriate photos, WSO welcomes you!

EDIT: further, if you wish to refer to pictures that you wouldn’t show to your high class society or your spouse’s great grandma, you MUST post a link. anybody who posts pics to a forum is hereby given the name of troll. pics on a forum ruin the fluidity of the conversation so post a link, like normal people.

Any photos/links Isuldurr posted were not the primary reason he was banned. Let me clear that up right now

I actually think it would be reasonable to carve out an “Indian abs” exception if we are going to start prohibiting questionable pictures.

Taking the photos down was not even remotely ironic. We have, on one hand, cartoonists getting killed for publishing caricatures in a satirical magazine, and on the other, a moron posting NSFW photos in a finance forum. Not sure what analogies some people are seeing between the two events?

I don’t think anyone’s trying to equate the two events.

Meh, you know what though? People are stupid. Tao Tsu wrote 2500 years ago that insult brings insult in return, that force brings force in return, and that inaction is better in that it never set these things in motion. And 2500 years later? People haven’t learned anything! Let’s think this thru. Say you live in a house with 10 people, and you are stuck in the house for life. Of the 10, let’s say 2 are of some specific culture/religion which you do not understand, and let’s assume they are known hot-heads. Now…do you think it would be wise to distribute hate propaganda within the house to the other 9 people ridiculing how stupid the 2 people are, even though 7 of them find it humorous? What if you did it once and the two punched you in the neck, you would do it again? Is that something a wise person does; cooking up trouble in their own home? You would do this and expect no risk to yourself? Idiots. There is clear risk here, and the risk is that your life ends…and that is irreversible. You don’t get a second try at this decision. I would never make a movie like Sony made, and I would never make a cartoon like Hebdo made, which is why nobody terrorizes me. Not only because of the risks, I would not do it because it is disrespectful.

7 out of 10 find it humorous? You are generous. Charlie Hebdo barely sold 45,000 copies and had serious financial troubles. The market had spoken. It was garbage work and acted like a chihuahua looking for attention in the hood.

Meh, people just need thicker skin. The original link had content similar to purealpha’s post before Viceroy for some reason went into a fit and got hit back with an accurate portrayal of a Westerners behaviour in countries like the Philippines. While not repeatable in polite company it is fact and there is no reason to get offended by it.

What a strangely depressing predictable statement. As if the only 2 subgroups of people expressing disdain for the way America has conducted itself on the global stage or the general worldview of the average American can be lumped into terrorist or Muslim. It reminds me of the completely off key justifications that were mainstream after the tragic september 11 attacks. ‘They hate our freedom’.

Anyway back on topic…anyone betting against Marine Le Pen now?

So the majority should comply to the butt-hurt of a few violent retards ? I would not make fun of Islam, but I would never deny the right of someone to do it. These caricatures were shitty, but anyone should have the right to publish what they want. Expending on your example, if your kid had a couple of retarded classmates that got agressive when other kids wore say, red shirts, would you want your kid to live in fear of wearing red shirts ? I would prefer that all kids wear red shirts to show the retard that nobody should comply to his needs.

I’m coming into this thread late and did not read the first two pages but this sounds very promising. We have a Seahawks win yesterday and Isulturd got banned, this has been a good weekend indeed.

Lol @ growing a thicker skin. You are the one mourning the ban of a disgracefuf retard.

lol glad things are working out for you.

What more does any friend of liberty need to say other than what Viceroy said above. There is no such thing as the right to exist free of offense in a free society. You absolutely have the right to ignore anything you wish, or to object and protest peacefully. That is the foundation of what our society is based upon and what millions of French protested today to defend. I’m sure the vast majority of those protestors do not care for the works of the magazine, in fact, I am sure the many thousands of Muslims (including Abbas) are probably offended by the materials. Yet there they were, recognising the very fundamental freedom of the press to publish such offensive materials. If you want a society free of offense, there are many totalitarian states that are happen to silence dissents so you only have to be bothered by one view of the world.

The widespread acceptance or appreciation of a piece of work, literary or art, doesn’t equal its legitimate right to exist.

Well someone is still in a fit.

I am merely bemused at the lack of consistency in moderation that right now is simply catering to the demographic white majority of the forum. There are a number of other equally ‘offensive’ posts on other races / cultures that are still present without so much as a finger being raised.

Moving on, this is an interesting read. Word of warning : It is written by a leftist which I don’t this will go down well in this forum. It also touches base with how France treats it’s immigrants as second class citizens.

On Charlie Hebdo

Why are you so sensitive about ethnicity, m8 ? I would suggest that you stop beating on that dead horse.

This place is as tolerant and diverse as they come, with regulars from every continent.

I’d perhaps buy this apologist piece… But this is simply not the reality. While French society may marginalise Islamic youth, these same Muslim youth are commiting these same acts in all countries worldwide, including their homelands. This isn’t an issue about marginalisation. The marginalised Christians in the Middle East do not reguarly attack civilians. Nor do the marginalised non-Muslims in the west. At the core of the issue is essentially two problems colliding into a threat to public safety. First we have a violent religion, or perhaps a segment of a religion, which gives moral justification to these kind of acts, and second we have youth with little to lose. Yes, I think making all Muslim youth rich would probably end the threat (I don’t see many wealthy Saudis self detonating, they just pay others to do so). But that’s not the reality of our way of life. Some do better than others in our society. There will always be lesser folks in our world, Muslim, Christians, Jews, athiests. Whatever. Providing for one group simply because their religion has a propensity for violence is unjust to the other people that are similarly maligned. You’ll know I take some heat on here arguing for more equality if opportunity for kids, so I am certainly sympathetic to providing a better chance for these youth to be successful. However, we cannot ignore the reality that this kind of violence and these kind of attacks are predominantly coming from one religion, or a segment of one religion. Its probably best that the west limits migration from higher risk areas until we have better assimilated the current batch into our democratic institutions.

That’s got to be satire?

a muslim reformation is the only cure. “moderate” muslims who are peaceful and truly believe their religion is one of love, peace and tolerance, must separate themselves from the terrible parts of the scripture that spits hate and supports violence for the radical muslims. doing so would allow for the ban of radical muslims from immigration, travel, etc without disparaging a large group (~2B) of generally peaceful people. i’m confident all of the Canadian muslims i know would be up for reformation. it’s only a matter of time.