Attention Research Associates

So, I just signed me employment offer. Starting in 2 weeks. Aside from 12+ hour days. What am I in for? Please advise. And to everyone who offered me interview advice - Thanks Very Much!

First off, congratulations. That is no easy task in the current environment. Secondly, there are a lot of factors that go in to what you should expect: 1. Size of the shop will influence some of the non-investment related work you do (booking travel, etc…). 2. The coverage area will influence the actual work you do. 3. The product (I assume equity?) will play a role. Generally speaking, equity investors are more concerned with accurately forecasting income while credit analysts are more concerned with the balance sheet. 4. Most important factor is who you will work for. The senior person has the largest impact on your work. He/she is ultimately the one that decides what level of responsibility you get and since you spend so much time with them, they can have a huge impact on your general demeanor.

Congrats! So now you can tell us which firm you will be working for? Equity Research in Canada is a great place to be. About the 12h a day, not so much. I’d say you can usually complete 90% of your tasks in a 10h day. Of course then you have reporting season when it is more like 14h a day. Oh and those morning calls will be pretty tough (I think you’re in Vancouver - then the call will be around 4:30AM-5AM).

BTW I’m pretty sure this position is in Mining … Am I right?

Forest Products, and the shop is Salman Partners

The call is at 5.45 am Pacific. Yeah its equity… I think im in for a doozy of a summer though. They decided to go with only one associate for the summer and hire another in the fall - so I will be working under 2 analysts until that decision is made. They kept stressing minimum 12 hours… Maybe thats just to keep me on my toes? Either way I dont care. Its a miracle getting in without resorting to nepotism

Getting a position like this is very hard in Vancouver so congrats to you! What is the average salary range for a research associate in Vancouver anyways?

Congrats 128. Do you have an email I could use? We have something in common to talk about.

Re: the 12h day, I say it’s definitely in the cards; I’ve spent the past 7 months working for 2 analysts (25 companies total) and one was initiating, so from Jan-Apr was 90h & 7 days/week, Q1 was worse (longest day so far was 6AM-6:30AM). The morning call is hell out west too, but listen to the agenda and then decide whether it’s ok to fall back asleep for the hour. Also, get ready to manage expectations re: your availability, having 2 analysts. If they’re good, they’ll coordinate w/ each other, but you can’t fight overlaps in Q2 reporting/AGM’s etc. Do you mind sharing general compensation levels for a Vancouver associate?

Congrats man! Looks like a cool firm to work for. May I ask what (if any) your previous work experience is? Also do you live in Vancouver? I am sure the firm is doing well if they’ve hired you in these market conditions. Good luck!

Grats on the position. I’m also interested in what the total compensatio (base + bonus) for the position is. Get ready for some long hours…

*Edit

128nigel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The call is at 5.45 am Pacific. Yeah its equity… > I think im in for a doozy of a summer though. They > decided to go with only one associate for the > summer and hire another in the fall - so I will be > working under 2 analysts until that decision is > made. They kept stressing minimum 12 hours… > Maybe thats just to keep me on my toes? Either way > I dont care. Its a miracle getting in without > resorting to nepotism the stress on min 12hr days probably has to do with the fact that few people in vancouver expect to work even 8hr days. we’re all a bunch of bums.

Mez Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Congrats man! > > Looks like a cool firm to work for. May I ask what > (if any) your previous work experience is? Also do > you live in Vancouver? > > I am sure the firm is doing well if they’ve hired > you in these market conditions. Good luck! I live in Vancouver near UBC. I have no previous work experience with the exception of a 3 month internship at Canaccord a couple years ago. Graduated in April Alayle, fire me an email at sdyakows@uwo.ca

sh0n Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Grats on the position. > > I’m also interested in what the total compensatio > (base + bonus) for the position is. > > Get ready for some long hours… I dont know what its going to total (heavily weighted to bonuses)… But im definetly paying my dues this year by the looks of it.

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 128nigel Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The call is at 5.45 am Pacific. Yeah its > equity… > > I think im in for a doozy of a summer though. > They > > decided to go with only one associate for the > > summer and hire another in the fall - so I will > be > > working under 2 analysts until that decision is > > made. They kept stressing minimum 12 hours… > > Maybe thats just to keep me on my toes? Either > way > > I dont care. Its a miracle getting in without > > resorting to nepotism > > > the stress on min 12hr days probably has to do > with the fact that few people in vancouver expect > to work even 8hr days. > > we’re all a bunch of bums. Man, do Canadians really work much fewer hours than americans? Any chance of a NYC analyst getting a job in Vancouver with no connections?

luke77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SeanC Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 128nigel Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > The call is at 5.45 am Pacific. Yeah its > > equity… > > > I think im in for a doozy of a summer though. > > They > > > decided to go with only one associate for the > > > summer and hire another in the fall - so I > will > > be > > > working under 2 analysts until that decision > is > > > made. They kept stressing minimum 12 hours… > > > Maybe thats just to keep me on my toes? > Either > > way > > > I dont care. Its a miracle getting in without > > > resorting to nepotism > > > > > > the stress on min 12hr days probably has to do > > with the fact that few people in vancouver > expect > > to work even 8hr days. > > > > we’re all a bunch of bums. > > Man, do Canadians really work much fewer hours > than americans? Any chance of a NYC analyst > getting a job in Vancouver with no connections? everybody except the japanese work less then americans. \ Vancouver while a great place to live dosnt offer much in terms of employment for analysts, there are a few big buys ide shops and alot of small timers pushing junk jr mining and biotech issues but they have alot of potential candidates to pick from. If you dont mind feeling dirty there are also alot of shady shops that are a throw back from the old Vancouver stock exchange days, Check the vancouver cfa society at www.cfavancouver.com

128nigel: Any update on this thread. I’ve emailed you some questions. Hope that you can reply. Thanks

SeanC Wrote: > everybody except the japanese work less then > americans. > \ In India, quite a few employers have Saturday as an official working day. Only Sunday is a holiday. Regular working hours average around 10 hours.

Here are some stats (Avg hours worked per year, per employee) (source OECD) Korea: 2390 (6 day workweek) Japan: 1828 USA: 1777 Canada: 1717 Germany: 1362 France: 1346 Sweden: 1316