Average Age?

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I kind of lurk on this arena of the boards. I just want to see what the general age break down is for the CFA or CFA In Training people on this board is. I am -22 -Sitting L1 December -Anticipating finishing L3 by the time I am 24-25 (25 is assuming I have to retake 1 test, hopefully not) -Designation probably sometime around 26-27 (due to work requirement and MBA possibly getting in the way of that)

looking at your age, you are obviously superior to the rest of us. starting the CFA trek in the early twenties only ensures your position in the financial elite. congratulations young nuppal, congratulations. 22!!! Congratulations!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You’re so young!!!

“-Anticipating finishing L3 by the time I am 24-25 -Designation probably sometime around 26-27 (due to work requirement and MBA possibly getting in the way of that)” I hope you cover ethics soon.

Congrats ruppal. 22 is an awesome age to begin the CFA trek. I would kill to go back in time to revisit my 22.

Looks like you have a good plan here. I am 23 and I am sitting for L3 next year. There are tons of young people here. In fact, I think it’s much easier to take the exams when you are in your early 20s. Mad props to all the older folks who have families and kids.

I have a lot of respect for people who have families with kids (implying late 20s to mid 30s?) and/or pull extreme long hours and still manage to get through all CFA exams. Anyway, to answer OP’s question. I’m 23 (turning 24 this year), and passed L3 this June.

I think it is much more difficult to do the exam when you have a family and other more important obligations. I was fortunate to start it in my early 20s and have the CFA designation by age 24, but have much more respect for those who do it later in life.

I couldn’t imagine doing the CFA program with a family and a full time job. I’d imagine that the average age of the candidate pool for all three levels is somewhere around 26-28. I just turned 24 and will be sitting for the L2 exam. kblade, how many year of work experience do you have?

Yeah, definitely harder when you’re older. That’s what makes us kiddos so such better analysts, since it shows our superior decision making ability :wink:

23 now. all exams done. but won’t get charter until 26.

I agree with the others, lots of youngin’s here, and its actually more inspirational to hear about those with families and manage their time efficiently. I’m 22, sitting L3 next year. Hopefully chartered soon after the exam.

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree with the others, lots of youngin’s here, > and its actually more inspirational to hear about > those with families and manage their time > efficiently. > > I’m 22, sitting L3 next year. Hopefully chartered > soon after the exam. DDDDAAAAAYYYYYUUUUUMMMMM CFA prodigy/rockstar lol. I feel like 22 is too old actually, knowing that I could have taken the test over 1 year ago makes me feel like I missed out on a lot.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry if this has already been discussed. I kind > of lurk on this arena of the boards. > > I just want to see what the general age break down > is for the CFA or CFA In Training people on this > board is. > > I am > -22 > -Sitting L1 December > -Anticipating finishing L3 by the time I am 24-25 > (25 is assuming I have to retake 1 test, hopefully > not) > -Designation probably sometime around 26-27 (due > to work requirement and MBA possibly getting in > the way of that) And then at 28, with your CFA designation out of the way, you can FINALLY sleep with a girl!

i was being sarcastic with my post in case anyone missed it.

It’s not too old…and I turn 23 this year if it counts, but regardless, you cannot get chartered until you have the relevant work experience. As long as you clear the exams by that time, I think you’re good. Clearing the exams and having to wait 3-4 years isn’t ideal either, though I’m sure some would prefer it if given as one type of option. I’m quite curious to see the feedback from the investment management community - sure, being a charterholder in his/her early 20’s is impressive, but are you a better analyst and more likley to get hired as opposed to someone who is late 20’s/early 30’s? As mentioned time and time again on this forum, the CFA designation isn’t a know-all and be-all, it’s just a credential that can assist in your overall image and knowledge of the field. Age isn’t really that important of a factor, and many will value it differently. Being younger and taking the exams have its advantages, but having a family with kids, working full-time, and studying late at night and all weekends speak for itself as well.

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i was being sarcastic with my post in case anyone > missed it. Ditto. Your post seemed legit. a 23 yr old charterholder is clearly a more superior analyst than a 30 yr old one, especially if the person went 3/3. :slight_smile:

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree with the others, lots of youngin’s here, > and its actually more inspirational to hear about > those with families and manage their time > efficiently. > > I’m 22, sitting L3 next year. Hopefully chartered > soon after the exam. How are you sitting on 3 years full time work experience at 22 (meaning got full time work in a relevant role at 19)? I’m not saying that it is impossible, just curious. I actually took a year off of the exam (between L1 and L2) and finished accruing the 4 years exp just passing L3. Perfect timing, but it could have been a bit annoying had I failed a level, so I guess the stress can be reduced a bit if you already know you can fail once or twice along the way, and it won’t hold up your charter goals.

“are you a better analyst and more likley to get hired as opposed to someone who is late 20’s/early 30’s?” In my opinion, work experience tends to be more important when we’re talking about age differences. What has the person in his early 30s been doing for the past 10 years? That is much more relevant than whether or not they passed a couple of superficial exams. But to answer your question, I do think the CFA charter is more valuable if obtained at an early age. Doing it quickly shows that you are smart, hardworking and motivated. The knowledge itself is superficial.

My average age over the past 28 years is 14.5

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sorry if this has already been discussed. I > kind > > of lurk on this arena of the boards. > > > > I just want to see what the general age break > down > > is for the CFA or CFA In Training people on > this > > board is. > > > > I am > > -22 > > -Sitting L1 December > > -Anticipating finishing L3 by the time I am > 24-25 > > (25 is assuming I have to retake 1 test, > hopefully > > not) > > -Designation probably sometime around 26-27 > (due > > to work requirement and MBA possibly getting in > > the way of that) > > > > And then at 28, with your CFA designation out of > the way, you can FINALLY sleep with a girl! +1