Badass Department vs. Ugly Stepchild Department

In your company, which department is the most badass versus the department treated like the ugly stepchild? Reasons behind it? Mine: Badass - My department. We are a high-class niche field and cater only to really really rich clients. I’m talking about people that are on the forbes list. Reasons - We make it rain. Preferential Treatment - We make more $$$ compared to other depts. (However, our standards of $$$ are not comparable to said hedge funds, IB’s, etc. It’s more in comparison to our field. We get capped out at 6 figs after working 10 years. sadface.) Best perk is that we would be the last ones to get laid off, if push comes to shove. We have a lot of job security in general. Ugly stepchild - IT. Reasons - … Treatment - Usually, IT has it good because they don’t have to work… 80% of the time. Bad news is that when things go wrong, people get on them. Maybe I should create a separate thread asking how IT has dropped the ball on simple issues. (Don’t get me wrong, some IT are very competent… but some are as useful as me calling up some random Indian call center.)

Everyone in finance hates IT, thats why everyone in IT strives to be in finance.

This is my contribution: Quote from justin88: Second, knowing how to model is a small part of getting a FO job like banking or ER. You need to be well-rounded/polished. Some aspects are obvious, like being socially intelligent and writing well, but basic things like hygiene and dressing well are important too. It’s likely that you (obviously I’m stereotyping here), coming from IT, need to work on many of these aspects. I LMAO when I read this in another thread.

I can tell you right now, you are a huge douche at your company

^Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Are you in IT?

Ocean Mist is my favorite AF member. Leave her alone

This thread is asinine…

Open up a thread to toot your own horn? Is everyone in your department like this?

<3 you SuperiorReturn 99% of the threads in AF are asinine. I like AF - you know why? It shows me a glance of what it takes to rake in the dough - how you can go from asking a question/commenting and being answered with hostility, personal attacks and hatred towards a complete stranger. I believe people are innately evil, and especially on an online forum - it pretty much epitomizes this belief. It very much reflects the environment of finance - dehumanization, commodification, etc etc. To an extent, it propels me to leave this all behind and gladly jump ship to another field, taking a heavy pay cut. I don’t want to make this more than what it is, but it’s something that I’ve been struggling with recently. Specifially, it’s dealing with people - knowing that people are wretched little twits, hiding behind their “accomplishments,” “money,” or what have you and using this as justification for their repression, exploitation and hatred towards others. I think the most depressing part of it all is how I’m becoming like that too (cue thread), which is why I agree with the dude’s analysis that I am a DB. It’s a nice wake-up call. I will be the first one to tell you that I am nothing. Thread was for all in good fun. I would have never have guessed that people would think I’m bragging.

^cool story, girlfriend

its because the majority of people on AF are the ugly step children.

Ocean Mist, I agree about demanization and commodification in finance. Sad that you become that. I don’t. And probably I should be looking for something else

Ocean Mist come on. Arnt you living in cali or something? If you got it. Flaunt it. Send me a line when you have an opening. I want to ball…

Ocean Mist = Awesome

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ocean Mist, > I agree about demanization and commodification in > finance. Sad that you become that. I don’t. And > probably I should be looking for something else You only say that cause you don’t have it. Haters gonna hate. I bet anyone who actually has a good job in finance would agree with her.

OM - Eventually it all fades into nihilism (I’m kidding, kind of). Here’s the way I look at it though - as summarized by Gary from Team America: “We’re d!cks! We’re reckless, arrogant, stupid d!cks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an a$$hole. Pussies don’t like d!cks, because pussies get f@cked by d!cks. But d!cks also f@ck a$$holes: a$$holes that just want to sh!t on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with a$$holes their way. But the only thing that can f@ck an a$$hole is a d!ck, with some balls. The problem with d!cks is: they f@ck too much or f@ck when it isn’t appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of sh!t that they become a$$holes themselves… because pussies are an inch and half away from a$$holes. I don’t know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don’t let us f@ck this a$$hole, we’re going to have our d!cks and pussies all covered in sh!t!?” …then again, this is probably just another DB response.

Ocean Mist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In your company, which department is the most > badass versus the department treated like the ugly > stepchild? Reasons behind it? Mine: Badass - whatever desk is killing it this year. was structured a few years ago, then no one, HG/HY recently. Ugly stepchild - Finance/Audit Reasons - have you ever tried to explain a cdo to a third grader?

FO: Badass- Trading/IB Ugly- Wealth MGMT BO: Badass- Legal Ugly- Corporate Actions Dept.

if it wasnt for compliance, i would be rich

Ocean Mist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It very much reflects the environment of > finance - dehumanization, commodification, etc > etc. To an extent, it propels me to leave this all > behind and gladly jump ship to another field, > taking a heavy pay cut. What do you mean by this? That people are negatively effected by working on the Street and that high finance is a destroyer of souls? One of the things I love about Wall St. is that it is hyperreality. To some, it may seem like a dream world, but it’s actually more real than the “real world.” The stakes are higher, the pace is faster, the expectations greater. You get to see people at their absolute best and their absolute worst. Depending on the environment and the people involved, I think working on the Street has the potential to grow people into better versions of themselves. It doesn’t have to be negative. Anyway, not sure if that’s what you were saying or not, just my $0.02.