Ban all muslims

I know you contradicted data by suggesting a ban on all guns, but who’s this “smart” guy pointing out “solutions” that you’re referring to?

Solutions that might work:

• Ban pure alpha form america (since he hates it so much) and from AF while we are at it.
  • Place more restrictions on immigration from middle east countries.
  • If someone leaves to the middle east for a period of say 6+ months (or enough time to complete a course of military style terrorist training) then comes back and immediately changes their name to Dirka dirka muhammad etc. it may be worth an investigation to see if they are doing anything out of the ordinary…
  • lAlso,If you are for banning people based on religious affiliation then you should include christian’s like that whack job that shot up planned parenthood last week.

Or just skip to the solution that will work; ban all guns.

PA aint trolling…he just doesnt understand what nearly every other non-US person doesn’t understand and that’s America’s fascination with guns!!

Gun control across the US is one of the only viable solutions. California has some of the strictest gun laws but that doesn’t stop some joe from filling his trunk machine guns from over the border and driving them in.

America should make it an abhorrent and disgusting sin to own a gun. Much like so many people think of abortion in the southern states. If guns were controlled more i.e. more background checks, 30 day wait times, ban all semi autos and high calibre, no concealed weapon licenses, limit 2 guns per person, no one who has ever committed a crime is allowed a gun… Then we might get somewhere…

Bu America aint gonna do it. They wanna attack the strawman…

But if we baan gerns whad happens when the musslims come?

Has anyone mentioned that crime has come way down since the 80’s? Violent crime of all sorts is around 1950’s levels, and even gun violence is down. The trend is looking very good, actually.

You know what’s not going down? 24 hour news channels that prey on the old and stupid, and social media and other online sites that prey on the young and stupid.

Not saying there aren’t real threats out there. Just trying to keep some perspective.

come on tho man…

In 2013, 30ppl died from guns out every 100k alive in US. In Canada it was 5 and UK <1. Is it that you have more guns or you have more mental health problems than in UK and Canada?..

Always room to improve. Just not many people realize America is safer now than at anytime since the 50’s. You want to keep stirring the pot, have at it.

That’s true, but there’s also no logical reason why the average joe soap should legally be allowed to own an automatic machine gun designed for use in combat warfare. Banning assault weapons would almost certainly reduce the incidence of mass murder (>daily occurance now in the US) with virtually zero negative social consequences. The gun lobby argument against such a ban is not rational.

Completely agree.

^ I am a gun owner and I would gladly give mine up if it meant no whack jobs in the country could get a hold of one but that simply is not and probably will never be the case.

LOLed at image of itera putting a gun in your mouth.

I think the issue people take with this (for better or worse) are that

1. Automatics, although legal are basically never used in crimes. The guns used are nearly always semi-autos. In some ways however, this speaks to further gun control (but not necessarily an outright ban) because full automatics are very heavily regulated and require a special federal license with very strict background checks. As a result, they end up in the hands of legitimate gun collectors and are therefore not used in crimes.

2. Of the US’s gun murders only the smallest fraction (less than 3%) are actually commited with assault weapons. This one is actually pretty important to me. The largest amount of gun deaths occur with pistols and more traditional rifles. The existance of assault weapons as a flashpoint is more for the imagery of the debate rather than the actual efficacy of the outcome. This is where policy actually becomes tricky because there is a crazy amount of guns in circulation at this point, many handed down and poorly documented.

3. I’m relatively sure the guns used in California were bought in state. The points made by others about loading up on guns in another state isn’t really that relevant. Guns must be purchased by in state residents whether in private party or commercial transactions. If you purchase out of state, it must occur through a dealer and be shipped to a dealer in your state, where you will pick it up (assuming it fits your state’s gun laws). They are very strict about this as anything outside this is gun trafficking.

In fact, to my last posts point (#2), the US should be discussing banning hand guns rather than assault rifles. The facts all add up but it just isn’t as sensational of an infographic. Handguns are responsible for more than 80% of US gun deaths. They’re first choice in robberies and home invasions because they’re easy to conceal both approaching and leaving the scene. They also are more likely to cause crime because they’re more likely to be lieing around in easily accessed locations like glove boxes or kept on a person for a heat of the moment decision. They’re more dangerous for officers because they are easily concealed causing assymetry of information and contributing to police shootings of unarmed civilians. They are also cheaper and therefore more plentiful and more likely to be used in domestic situations. Handguns are more prone to accidental discharge due to their size and likelihood to become directionally disoriented. Handguns are also nearly always used in suicides (a schoolmate tried to use a rifle and is alive because apparently they’re hard to aim).

Unfortunately, the rest of the world (and many Americans) don’t understand the point of the 2nd Amendment. Americans were able to win independence because the population was armed. The 2nd Amendment exists because the individual is the last line of defense of his own liberties.

How much more secure is the US from enemies (foreign and domestic) with an armed population? So do I really care if when foreigners whine that America protects the right to bear arms? Nope. Because those foreigners are serving their own interests at the epense of America’s.

Just look at Iraq. The US, with the mightiest military in the world, struggled for years against insurgents because they were armed (and not particularly well, relatively speaking). Just imagine if a nation tried to invade the US or even if the US population decided to abolish its government. The 2nd Amendment enables them to.

So the murder rate in Canada is six times that as the US?

Nope. It’s 2.7 times higher. If you adjust for race, the US has a lower murder rate among whites than does Canada.

The U.S. didn’t struggle in Iraq. As for defense, I’ve said it before, but if the last line of defense against an invading enemy (obviously very powerful, as it would mean the military was defeated) were some dudes with AR-15s, they are toast.

if defense is the reason, why not allow citizens to own anti materiel rifles, howitzers and other goodies? Why not let Larry Ellison fly a few fighter squadrons?

It is worth noting that black men account for 6% of the US’s population but approximately 50% of its gun murder victims per year.

Combined with the fact that assault weapons account for less than 3% of firearm murders in the US , why are we really discussing them if curbing violence is the issue at stake?

The bolded statistics are rarely talked about (back to the Trump and PC point that started this discussion). Maybe by not acknoweldging the full realities of some issues we’re limiting the discussion and efficacy of our response to them?

ok so when US bans guns, do the cops hold a gun drive and all the bad guys with illegal guns just turn them in?

Ummmmm…What?