Band 10 and scored >70% Ethics and they Failed me

Anyone else end up in Band 10 with a strong score in Ethics? Following are my results. I still can’t get over not passing. There is no recourse (tabulation is not regrading, but I forked over the $100). Also, came across this on CFA site: What is the “ethics adjustment”? The Board of Governors instituted a policy many years ago to place particular emphasis on ethics. Starting with the 1996 exams, the performance on the ethics section became a factor in the pass/fail decision for candidates whose total scores bordered the minimum passing score. The ethics adjustment can have a positive or negative impact on these candidates’ final results. I just can’t reconcile how I failed other than getting a 0 on Fixed Income in the afternoon. Here are my results: Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 * - - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - - * 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - * - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 * - - - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

Same boat here buddy…FI nailed me in the PM

I got screwed on the FI too…funny I don’t remember any of the Q on this. Do you guys?

Dude, how the hell did you fail? I mean…i failed too…but from your result, it is beyond my comprehension as to what to do to pass the beast?

Maybe I should ask for retab my results look worse than yours … Spend a weekend on FI and you’ll nail it next year. Level 3: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - - * 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - - * 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - - * 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 * - - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - *

joker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I got screwed on the FI too…funny I don’t > remember any of the Q on this. Do you guys? Fixed Income 37 Immunization = Combination 4.5 w/ match to 1st payment Fixed Income 38 Method to Hedge Leveraged bond portfolio = using treasury futures 109 Fixed Income 39 Immunization - how to hedge -cash flow matching/cf - debated Fixed Income 40 Immunization Dollar Cushion = $83,000 Fixed Income 41 Spread duration = 2.53% Fixed Income 42 Repo Bond leverage Return = 1.25% incremental return Fixed Income 43 Repo Rate = Both Scarcity & Quality lower rate Fixed Income 44 MBS 2 year bond hedge = .8??? Fixed Income 45 MBS = Market Directionality Fixed Income 46 MBS, Option vol Down = Option value decreases, MBS value increases Fixed Income 47 Dollar Duration = 341,000 Fixed Income 48 Range 3-6 years = Appropriate

Bankin, What is your email add. Need some help from you u can email me at chakradhar.singh@gmail.com or better can you add me in chat thanks in advance bro

bobg, your score looks so good. how could they fail you ? joker, the FI Q had lot of immunization questions and also duration related questions, calculation of morgage of two bonds immu.

BankinAF@gmail.com

I know I got at least 4 of the FI afternoon questions right. What sucks is that there is no one to talk to at CFA to ask them to look at your actual exam. Everyone I talk to at CFA syas they can understand my frustration, but when I ask them if they’ve ever taken an exam, they say no. I tell them that they can not fully understand then. I honestly think that I may be at the exact cutoff point for Pass/Fail. I’m only asking that they give me the benefit of the doubt and take another look at my exam, but it looks as if I have to spend another f*in 4 months. I read all CFAI materials, did Schweser online and Q bank as well as three mock exams. Was scoring a comfortable 85% on these items. What more do they want from me, my first born son? This was second time taking LIII. I knew I did not deserve to pass the first time as I did not put forth the effort, but this time I did. Anybody have any ideas on how to get them to look at my exam one more time besides a retabulation?

bobg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know I got at least 4 of the FI afternoon > questions right. What sucks is that there is no > one to talk to at CFA to ask them to look at your > actual exam. Everyone I talk to at CFA syas they > can understand my frustration, but when I ask them > if they’ve ever taken an exam, they say no. I > tell them that they can not fully understand then. > > > I honestly think that I may be at the exact cutoff > point for Pass/Fail. I’m only asking that they > give me the benefit of the doubt and take another > look at my exam, but it looks as if I have to > spend another f*in 4 months. I read all CFAI > materials, did Schweser online and Q bank as well > as three mock exams. Was scoring a comfortable > 85% on these items. What more do they want from > me, my first born son? This was second time > taking LIII. I knew I did not deserve to pass the > first time as I did not put forth the effort, but > this time I did. Anybody have any ideas on how to > get them to look at my exam one more time besides > a retabulation? Dude, Your scores look better than mine and I passed. The problem is they don’t give you gross scores, so you can be at the high of low end of the range. Still I feel for you, as your scores look pretty good. You’ll crush it next year.

bobg, I feel your pain , my results were very similar to yours but I am not going to waste another $100 on it…will put that towards my registration fee for next year and will just kill this mother next year… Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - - * 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - * - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 * - - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

I’m in the same boat except IPS killed me. I paid the $100 too, only because getting my spring back is worth the 1 in 1000000 shot Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - - * 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

I’m in a similar situation except IPS did me in. I also paid the $100 only because it’s worth the 1 in 1000000 to be done with this and get my spring back. Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - - * 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

I’m in a similar situation except IPS did me in. I also paid the $100 only because it’s worth the 1 in 1000000 to be done with this and get my spring back. Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - - * 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

The only breakdown here for which I would have tried a retab…

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > joker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I got screwed on the FI too…funny I don’t > > remember any of the Q on this. Do you guys? > > > Fixed Income 37 Immunization = Combination 4.5 w/ > match to 1st payment > Fixed Income 38 Method to Hedge Leveraged bond > portfolio = using treasury futures 109 > Fixed Income 39 Immunization - how to hedge -cash > flow matching/cf - debated > Fixed Income 40 Immunization Dollar Cushion = > $83,000 > Fixed Income 41 Spread duration = 2.53% > Fixed Income 42 Repo Bond leverage Return = 1.25% > incremental return > Fixed Income 43 Repo Rate = Both Scarcity & > Quality lower rate > Fixed Income 44 MBS 2 year bond hedge = .8??? > Fixed Income 45 MBS = Market Directionality > Fixed Income 46 MBS, Option vol Down = Option > value decreases, MBS value increases > Fixed Income 47 Dollar Duration = 341,000 > Fixed Income 48 Range 3-6 years = Appropriate Bankin’, where have you got it from??? “Memory” is not excepted, as robots will not be allowed by the proctors:)

Impressive on the FI bankin…

I’ve had four inquiries into my ‘list of questions.’ If I had such a list, which I don’t, I would be much more inclined to send it to you if I knew your screen name and real name. If you weren’t a level III contributor from Nov 08 - Jun 09 then don’t bother asking for the list (that I don’t have).

bobg, i’m in the same boat. i think we are the only ones on AF that had 10 >70%s and failed. maybe there was one other… not a club i want to be in. ethics should’ve saved you i think. my second time on L3 too and i thought i killed it. i filed for retab as well. they probably take the $100 and just as quickly email back it’s still a fail, but you never know. “what was all that one in a million talk?” how 'bout i only give CFAI $50, but we go out back, they kick me in the nuts and we call it even? so rigged… Level 3: Fail Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - - * 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - - * 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - - * 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - - * 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - * - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - - * - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10