Beer/Alcohol and memory

Does drinking alcohol (2 to 3 beers specifically) after a long study session make one forget what they have studied (in the long-term)? I am concerned because I wake up so refreshed after doing this and I am concerned that it may affect my long-term retention btwn now and the June exam. Any views on this?

i cant remember…

I drink a few beers almost every night. I don’t think it really influences your retention. Small amounts of alcohol actually help you to relax.

i study while wasted, time goes by faster, i enjoy it, and i learn… vodca redbull

dude, I dun drink after study sessions yet I cant even remember what i learned yesterday.

I have read an article on alcoholism, and I am even questioning now whether I should drink a glass of wine every week (systematic drinking) or better only twice a month (social drinking). Systematic drinking is bordering first level of alcoholism, which can be as little consumption as 200ml of strong alcoholic drink, or a bottle of wine, once a week.

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > glass of wine every week (systematic drinking) or > better only twice a month (social drinking). amazing! by whose definition does a glass of wine every week fall into the “systematic drinking” caqtegory which is “bordering first level of alcoholism”? it has to be a very cultural and region-specific definition. it also must be defined in terms of how it interferes with your everyday life and it affects your work or social performance.

Checked up again. Social drinking should not be each month, but every 2-3 months up to 2 times a month, up to half a bottle of light white wine (or sometimes it’s equivalent in other types of alcohol), until light effect. Situational drinking is drinking 1-4 times a month, 100-300ml of strong drink, or it’s equivalent of wine or beer, until medium strong effect. Systematic drinking is drinking 1-3 times a week, min 200ml of strong drink, or a bottle of wine each time, until strong effect is reached. We can talk about psychological effect here too. When there appears tolerance (when you need more alcohol to reach the same effect), which is a physical addiction, it’s first stage of alcoholism. Möbius Striptease, I just mixed up situational and systematic drinking. Of course I meant situational. But actually, they say, the way from situational through systematic to alcoholism can be very short. But also they say, that some people stick to systematic drinking for years, until they start start getting related illnesses, and then reduce drinking. Also, I guess the wide range of amount of alcohol they are mentioning, depends on the initial tolerance of each person. That’s why they also mention the state of drunkenness reached.

Ah, and one glass of wine without eating simultaneously make me drunk. With three glasses and eating at the same time, I can pretty much reach medium effect. Blackouts are a physical effect, and a symptom of alcoholism, but I have them if I drink too much, and that happens very rarely, may be three times a year. So I don’t know. Say, I used to reach medium effect twice or thrice a week, and strong effect once a month or in two months. Is that systematic drinking? Should I consult a doctor?

Holy sh!t, take a chill pill. Talk about over-analyzing something…

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have read an article on alcoholism, and I am > even questioning now whether I should drink a > glass of wine every week (systematic drinking) or > better only twice a month (social drinking). > Systematic drinking is bordering first level of > alcoholism, which can be as little consumption as > 200ml of strong alcoholic drink, or a bottle of > wine, once a week. Nerd.

^ Denial is also a symptom

Hedonism, all the way!

cityboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I drink a few beers almost every night. I don’t > think it really influences your retention. Small > amounts of alcohol actually help you to relax. I used to do that. When I stopped doing it, I lost 10 lbs.

I’m on Day 2 of a legendary hangover. Does that qualify me for alcoholism???

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m on Day 2 of a legendary hangover. Does that > qualify me for alcoholism??? if you’re still counting it in days, probably not

I used to never get out of bed before 5-6 pm on Saturday because of hangovers. Now that I think of it, I really, really miss those days.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to never get out of bed before 5-6 pm on > Saturday because of hangovers. Now that I think > of it, I really, really miss those days. Well, given that you only got out of bed in the evenings, you did literally miss those days.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to never get out of bed before 5-6 pm on > Saturday because of hangovers. Now that I think > of it, I really, really miss those days. Black Swan, I hear you. I wish I could go back to my college days when I occasionally left drinking establishments at closing time without a care in the world :frowning:

If drinking a couple times a week makes you borderline alcoholic, then I think most of us are in trouble. I don’t buy it though. To the OP, it may affect your retention if you’re not getting good quality sleep, which is difficult to do if you’ve had a drink or two in the evening. It may help you relax and “pass out” but from what I’ve read and my own experience, it’s hard to get into REM mode if you’ve been drinking. You could be an exception though since you report feeling refreshed the next day.