best finance school in USA?

I am thinking about to get another graduate degree in finance in a leading school with scholarship - no extra money to afford sky high tuition. I got MBA degree in states two years ago, now cfa level one candidate for June. Financial engineering seems hot, what other advices? And which top school have both good finance department with scholarship? Please advices. Thanks a lot!

I would say Chicago

I would try to do a phd (stanford where I would try - it doesn’t sound like your anglo-saxan so that could bolster your app). Then you’d get your 30k or whatever stipend on top. More of a commitment but more cost effective excluding other earnings. Good way to am hf or other quant/technical fund or academia as another out.

What specific sort of degree are you looking for, particularly since you already have an MBA? Also, what is your academic background?

If you find one let me know. I’m looking for MA in Econ programs with scholarships? I have a Msc Finance.

For financial engineering, I’d put MIT on the list.

I would be doubtful that any of these programs will provide scholarships though.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it doesn’t sound like your anglo-saxan so > that could bolster your app. What if he is east asian/ Indian? Then he has even slimmer chances than an “anglo-saxan”.

Zesty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you find one let me know. I’m looking for MA in > Econ programs with scholarships? I have a Msc > Finance. I believe Princeton gives a full ride to all their graduate students, at least PhD candidates, and is consistently ranked in the top 5 for Econ.

U of P ofcourse

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > U of P ofcourse Yes, Penn has an excellent finance program.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would try to do a phd (stanford where I would > try - it doesn’t sound like your anglo-saxan so > that could bolster your app). Then you’d get your > 30k or whatever stipend on top. More of a > commitment but more cost effective excluding other > earnings. Good way to am hf or other > quant/technical fund or academia as another out. If you want to do quant finance, and you’re smart enough to get into a PhD but not yet in one, don’t bother. Just go right into the industry. You’ll be 3-4 years behind if you stop to get the PhD.

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would try to do a phd (stanford where I would > > try - it doesn’t sound like your anglo-saxan so > > that could bolster your app). Then you’d get > your > > 30k or whatever stipend on top. More of a > > commitment but more cost effective excluding > other > > earnings. Good way to am hf or other > > quant/technical fund or academia as another > out. > > If you want to do quant finance, and you’re smart > enough to get into a PhD but not yet in one, don’t > bother. Just go right into the industry. You’ll > be 3-4 years behind if you stop to get the PhD. WORST ADVICE EVER

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most good PhD programs pay for their graduate students. These guys would be crazy to spend 5 years doing this at cost! But anyway, I’m not sure if “go get a PhD at Stanford/Harvard/Princeton” is appropriate advice for most people. You need to have certain qualifications to be accepted into these sorts of programs…

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WORST > > ADVICE > > EVER So you’re advising going through a six-year program to become an associate?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Most good PhD programs pay for their graduate > students. These guys would be crazy to spend 5 > years doing this at cost! > > But anyway, I’m not sure if “go get a PhD at > Stanford/Harvard/Princeton” is appropriate advice > for most people. You need to have certain > qualifications to be accepted into these sorts of > programs… Stanford is unrealistic for 99.99999% of people (I have no chance getting in there). But almost any, if not every, PHD will pay stipend and be tuition free (unlike a masters program). And for a 1-2 year longer commitment you can differentiate much more and also have an academia out. Running quick numbers, assuming you get the same job which I would contend is more likely to either get the job or get a better job with PHD, but I’ll acquiesce this point (these are off the cuff, so just guesses - also ignoring TVM): Respectable Masters program: 25k / year x 2 years = 50k Loss of earnings for two years Start making 120k 3rd year PHD program: Free tuition Stipend for four years: 30k / year x 4 years (3-5 average guess- maybe bchad or someone can correct) = 120k Start making 120k 5th year End of year 5- Masters: -50k tuition 360k earnings Net 310k PHD: +120k stipend +120k earnings Net 240k I’d bet you a PHD vs Masters candidate nets more than 70k over their life and has an easier time getting a job today and over the next 5 years.

Are you a top candidate? You say you want the “top school” in finance, so it will be very competitive. What’s your background? Now you may be a “top” candidate, but then it wouldn’t be too hard to google around and find that same info.

If i would get accepted to Standford/Harvard/MIT/Princeton PhD i would drop everything and would run to get it.

if you have to ask, you have no shot.

Eh. I think finance people going to PhDs in any of these schools have to really love research. It’s like a million dollars+ opportunity cost.