Biggest Interview of my life

Greetings all, I’m new to the form and tossing up preparing for my CPA or my CFA (where I end up working will dictate this). I just graduated from Rutgers with a BA in Economics this summer. I am currently working as an ER Temp at Bloomberg and I was recently complemented for my hard work by management and was told they want to interview me for a full-time position. Are there any analysts on this form who interview/hire ER’s at the entry level? Besides credentials like grades, internships, etc…what are some of the best practices that kids like me fresh out of school should use to land this jobs? I will do anything to get in here full-time. The CFA support system is unreal. I sit right by the room where the CFA classes are conducted and get a free class every week :slight_smile:

I think you already laid the ground work being you are a temp and they like your work. I think you have a good chance of getting a full time offer.

*forum

Send your resume promptly to HR when asked.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Send your resume promptly to HR when asked. agree

NSteen1987, Congratulations on this opportunity. The people who will interview you probably like you already - it is unlikely that a short interview will change this. Obviously you should brush up on some valuations terminology, and try to think about some good suggestions about how you would be productive in the business. Be cool and don’t freak out. Good luck.

Actually taking the CFA exam would help.

Also make sure you let them know this is a career path you want long term, and oyu arent just trying to get anything you can in this environment, because they are probably checking for this too, to see what your aspirations are, and that you wont love them and leave them quickly

Good advice above. Keep up on financial issues by reading the WSJ or FT. Sounds basic, but I know I was asked about current financial events and even whether I subscribed on multiple occasions in undergraduate recruiting.

What kind of work does ER at Bloomberg entail? I assume SS? I only use BB for data…

Biggest interview of your life … wait until you ask your future father-in-law to marry his daughter.

Make us proud! Welcome to the forum.

^ that is brutal. I have always done well at job interviews, but being interviewed by your future father in law is like no other interview.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Biggest interview of your life … wait until you > ask your future father-in-law to marry his > daughter. Go elope. Then buy a gun. Unless you’re in Texas, where you already have one. If you’re in Texas, buy ammo, since you were busy firing your gun to celebrate. (ok, that’s a stereotype, and I admit it… but it was fun to play with it)

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maratikus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Biggest interview of your life … wait until > you > > ask your future father-in-law to marry his > > daughter. > > Go elope. Then buy a gun. Unless you’re in > Texas, where you already have one. If you’re in > Texas, buy ammo, since you were busy firing your > gun to celebrate. > > (ok, that’s a stereotype, and I admit it… but it > was fun to play with it) My wife is expecting our second and my father-in-law passed away before I met her. For some people, that conversation can be stressful though …

Biggest interview of your life… Could really have just been titled Interview don’t you think. Are you prone to overdramatising? Could damage your chances.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ that is brutal. I have always done well at job > interviews, but being interviewed by your future > father in law is like no other interview. I still feel like I’m being interviewed by him. And I’m married a year and with her ten. I still think I’m failing miserably…

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go elope. Then buy a gun. Unless you’re in > Texas, where you already have one. If you’re in > Texas, buy ammo, since you were busy firing your > gun to celebrate. > > (ok, that’s a stereotype, and I admit it… but it > was fun to play with it) Lol. The scary part is that in many states is also legal to carry a weapon in your car as an extension of your property. The lack of “duty to retreat” in some state legistations doesn’t help either.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What kind of work does ER at Bloomberg entail? I > assume SS? I only use BB for data… I work on the team that captures all of the data on US Equity for the Bloomberg professional service. This includes the obvious balance sheet, income statement, cash flow items…but I also research pension obligations, contractual obligations, stock based comp, and other key data for valuation. Bloomberg is making a big push to really differentiate its products when it comes to data. This is an attempt to drown freebie services like the data you can get on yahoo. I’m working on getting bloomberg equity and fixed income certified. This would be something valuable to bring to the interview. If I take the CFA, it won’t be until 2010 and only if I settle in with Bloomberg.

Why would you NOT take the CFA exam if you don’t get the Bloomberg job? Assuming you want to be in this industry, just take the darn thing.