Booth part-time MBA

Has anyone here done a booth part-time MBA and participated in full-time recruiting? If so, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the experience. Thanks.

Haven’t done it, but have heard that while you can do the FT recruiting, you cannot do the internships so you are at a big disadvantage when the full time interviews come around. Also you will have little time to prepare for the interviews vs. FT candidates. Additionally, some departments, like banking, recruit solely out of the FT program and getting in front of those recruiters will be very difficult.

Several of my classmates in Chicago Booth PT program had positive experience going through OCR (on-campus recruiting) and getting jobs that they really liked. Career Center provides a lot of help on writing resumes, preparing for interviews and even offers tests that help assess strength and weaknesses and recommend potential fields.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Several of my classmates in Chicago Booth PT > program had positive experience going through OCR > (on-campus recruiting) and getting jobs that they > really liked. Career Center provides a lot of > help on writing resumes, preparing for interviews > and even offers tests that help assess strength > and weaknesses and recommend potential fields. Maratikus, what industries did your friends manage to get into through OCR? I know that banking and consulting recruit exclusively from full-time, but I’m interested in investment management. Trying to figure out if it’s possible to leverage booth PT into an IM gig. I’m actually going to be sitting in on a PT course tonight: “Investments” taught by Tobias Markowitz

ksc1940 Wrote: > Maratikus, what industries did your friends manage > to get into through OCR? I know that banking and > consulting recruit exclusively from full-time, but > I’m interested in investment management. Trying to > figure out if it’s possible to leverage booth PT > into an IM gig. One of my friends got a job in consulting in VC, another one in management consulting at Deloitte, the third one became a marketing manager, the fourth one is currently going through OCR to break into IM. I can ask him about his experience when he is done. > I’m actually going to be sitting in on a PT course > tonight: “Investments” taught by Tobias Markowitz I have never taken Moskowitz’s classes but he is very bright. His specializes in momentum (the fourth factor of Carhart model, after three FF factors). He spent quite a bit of time at AQR. Though the class isn’t outstanding but the professor is excellent.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ksc1940 Wrote: > > Maratikus, what industries did your friends > manage > > to get into through OCR? I know that banking > and > > consulting recruit exclusively from full-time, > but > > I’m interested in investment management. Trying > to > > figure out if it’s possible to leverage booth > PT > > into an IM gig. > > One of my friends got a job in consulting in VC, > another one in management consulting at Deloitte, > the third one became a marketing manager, the > fourth one is currently going through OCR to break > into IM. I can ask him about his experience when > he is done. > > > I’m actually going to be sitting in on a PT > course > > tonight: “Investments” taught by Tobias > Markowitz > I have never taken Moskowitz’s classes but he is > very bright. His specializes in momentum (the > fourth factor of Carhart model, after three FF > factors). He spent quite a bit of time at AQR. > Though the class isn’t outstanding but the > professor is excellent. I’m definitely interested in finding out about your IM friend’s experience. I’ve heard mixed things. Some said that breaking into smaller IM shops are definitely possible with booth PT while others said, “forget about it.”

I sat in on the class last week. The course material was dry, but Moskowitz is a great teacher. I’m most likely gonna re-apply full-time after making some improvements.

Booth sucks, don’t go there.

^ haha

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Booth sucks, don’t go there. Um, are you referring to booth full-time? I assume you are being facetious.

Not a joke, I think their curriculum is poor and their finance graduates that we interviewed seemed behind the curve relative to other M7 schools.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a joke, I think their curriculum is poor and > their finance graduates that we interviewed seemed > behind the curve relative to other M7 schools. What type of firm are you at? In what ways were the booth students more deficient than people from say, columbia/wharton/sloan/stanford? Booth’s finance program is legendary, with the best faculty in the world and a plethora of very rigorous courses. In terms of job placement and recruiting with hedge funds and investment management, booth is second only to HBS and tied with wharton.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a joke, I think their curriculum is poor and > their finance graduates that we interviewed seemed > behind the curve relative to other M7 schools. Curriculum is poor for finance? I never heard that one before, and don’t think anyone would agree with it. Curious, what type of firm (AUM size) were you doing the interviewing for? I’m guessing you maybe got the bottom of class, not the top performers, who already had offers at larger hedge funds and/or IM shops. In my recruiting experience (IM and HF) Booth was equally, if not over, represented compared to peers/ranking in M7. As for the original question, I think going PT to try and career switch is a mistake. PT is for non-career switchers, and is easier to get into…everyone knows this.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a joke, I think their curriculum is poor and > their finance graduates that we interviewed seemed > behind the curve relative to other M7 schools. Care to explain a bit more.

I hear very negative things about Booth PT. Some say they purposely segregate the PT people and then they get looked down on for recruiting events, networking, etc. Someone said they don’t let PT transfer to full time anymore

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hear very negative things about Booth PT. Some > say they purposely segregate the PT people and > then they get looked down on for recruiting > events, networking, etc. Someone said they don’t > let PT transfer to full time anymore You’re correct that part-timers are no longer able to transfer to full-time. I know that PT have access to ocr once certain conditions are met, but i have no idea how successful they have been in terms of being able to make a transition. The booth full-timers i’ve talked to said that they look down on and make fun of the part-time folks who show up at recruiting events. They even have to wear different colored badges. Heck, in the class I visited, the full-time students who were there had dark bold name tags to distinguish them from the others.

ouch

ksc1940 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I hear very negative things about Booth PT. > Some > > say they purposely segregate the PT people and > > then they get looked down on for recruiting > > events, networking, etc. Someone said they > don’t > > let PT transfer to full time anymore > > > You’re correct that part-timers are no longer able > to transfer to full-time. > > I know that PT have access to ocr once certain > conditions are met, but i have no idea how > successful they have been in terms of being able > to make a transition. The booth full-timers i’ve > talked to said that they look down on and make fun > of the part-time folks who show up at recruiting > events. They even have to wear different colored > badges. Heck, in the class I visited, the > full-time students who were there had dark bold > name tags to distinguish them from the others. Those are some of the things I heard too. That’s pretty ugly I got to say. The message is clear: Only go PT if you are already working, and need an MBA to move up the ladder. For career and job changers, don’t even think about PT

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not a joke, I think their curriculum is poor and > their finance graduates that we interviewed seemed > behind the curve relative to other M7 schools. The part about Chicago’s curriculum is a surprising statement. I don’t have any data to support what I’m about to say but: I’d be very surprised if there was any aspect of finance that you could study at any M7 school that you couldn’t study equally well at Chicago. On the other hand, I makes sense that the average Chicago MBA student would be somewhat less remarkable than the average M7 MBA student, simply because Chicago has much less selectivity (22%) than Harvard (11%), Stanford (7%), Wharton (17%), MIT (13%), Columbia (15%), etc. Though this selectivity is not because Chicago’s program isn’t top notch, but mostly due to geography.

In my experience Chicago Booth PT crowd is a mix. There are some really smart people and there are some not so smart people. What I appreciate about Chicago Booth is access to faculty and it’s really up to you to build your own curriculum. Here is my experiences. Negatives: took several required classes I didn’t want to take (accounting, etc) Positives: took classes from excellent professors. 1) I didn’t have background in Economics and wanted to build a foundation, took three PhD level classes from the Economics department (professors Becker, Murphy, Meyerson) 2) I wanted to learn more about behavioral sciences, took a class from Thaler. 3) I wanted to take a class from Fama, I took a PhD research class where everybody in class worked on writing a paper and progress was discussed each week. 4) I am curious about what’s happening in Central Banking and taking a class from Axel Weber who was the president of German Bundesbank. 5) I would like to learn more about Business law and thinking about taking a class from the Law School. Similarly, other students can come up with their own plan of classes.