Building a mosque near ground zero?

I imagine Japan has an American history museum at Hiroshima and Isreal is has a Nazi memorial in the works?

Isn’t America the land of the free? Or do you want the government to get involved at your convenience?

Ok before I get flamed to hell, I just wanted to throw that out there. I agree that ultimately the US is showing its freedom by allowing it and it’s the right thing to allow. I find it antagonizing and definitely rubs me the wrong way.

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I imagine Japan has an American history museum at > Hiroshima and Isreal is has a Nazi memorial in the > works? Well we aren’t at war with Islam; rather Islamic terrorists. A more apt parallel would be a German culture center in Israel.

Like rollercoasters in the United States? We are war with Terror…

This topic has a lot of potential for a nice internet fight…surprisingly not many of our frequent political commentators have piped in yet.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This topic has a lot of potential for a nice > internet fight…surprisingly not many of our > frequent political commentators have piped in yet. I miss Adavydov…

Let them build it, it’s what America is suppose to be about. Show the terrorists we are above them and can treat other beliefs and religons with respect.

Just because you are free to do something, doesn’t mean you should do it. Freedom comes with the responsibility to exhibit a little common sense and it is just plain stupid to build a mosque that close to Ground Zero. If nothing else, it would have to be guarded 24/7 by NYPD to prevent vandalism and probably to protect the safety of the worshipers. Why do the leaders of the proposed mosque want to put their members into that kind of environment?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just because you are free to do something, doesn’t > mean you should do it. Freedom comes with the > responsibility to exhibit a little common sense > and it is just plain stupid to build a mosque that > close to Ground Zero. If nothing else, it would > have to be guarded 24/7 by NYPD to prevent > vandalism and probably to protect the safety of > the worshipers. Why do the leaders of the > proposed mosque want to put their members into > that kind of environment? I agree, its a dumb idea. I am against this…why not build it in mid town or in east village with all the yuppies?

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just because you are free to do something, > doesn’t > > mean you should do it. Freedom comes with the > > responsibility to exhibit a little common sense > > and it is just plain stupid to build a mosque > that > > close to Ground Zero. If nothing else, it > would > > have to be guarded 24/7 by NYPD to prevent > > vandalism and probably to protect the safety of > > the worshipers. Why do the leaders of the > > proposed mosque want to put their members into > > that kind of environment? > > > > I agree, its a dumb idea. I am against this…why > not build it in mid town or in east village with > all the yuppies? i actually think it would be worse where the yuppies are because they would fein deomstrations against them to show how non-conformist they are. this would be a good idea if it didn’t garner a lot of attention. there was an argument about building a holocaust memorial in downtown berlin, not about building it, but whether or not to put an anti-grafitti coating on it. the builders wanted it to keep the monument clean while the govt argued against it stating that the purpose of the art is how its recieved/percieved and that putting the coating on it would limit public reception/reaction.

for those americans who think that muslims=terrorists (and there is no small percentage of them in the country), how is building a mosque at ground zero going to reform their way of thinking and educate them to differentiate between religious fanatics and law-abiding muslims? building a religious symbol of islam at the site of a terrorist attack is demonstrating exactly what? it’s a dumb dumb dumb irresponsible idea that will only create further divide rather than unite people.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > for those americans who think that > muslims=terrorists (and there is no small > percentage of them in the country), how is > building a mosque at ground zero going to reform > their way of thinking and educate them to > differentiate between religious fanatics and > law-abiding muslims? building a religious symbol > of islam at the site of a terrorist attack is > demonstrating exactly what? it’s a dumb dumb dumb > irresponsible idea that will only create further > divide rather than unite people. Its not just Americans who think that. Even if their intent may be sincere (building a community centre), the choice of location is very bad. Why not build it a few blocks north? Manhattan is a big island, why that site? It just gives more fodder to the anti Islamic types.

Perhaps it makes it less likely that terrorists will attack the new construction, since there is an islamic cultural/religious center there.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Perhaps it makes it less likely that terrorists > will attack the new construction, since there is > an islamic cultural/religious center there. i take it u have not seen what happened in iraq with major sunni/;shite religious sites being bombed by reliogious idiots… even in uganda they killed innocent people watching the WC finals …how is this not the basest of acts

110% against having a mosque being built on Ground Zero…would be equivalent to pissing on the ashes of those who were killed.

I have to ask, why does it have to be *there* as opposed to anywhere else? I mean, I know unoccupied real estate might be hard to find in Manhattan, but surely it’s not impossible. Of all the places where you could possibly build a mosque…

Practically, no one can stop them from building a mosque there…free country $h!t and all. But it feels so wrong, Mosques are the breeding ground for terrorists (London is a good example). Not even a decade ago some Muslims martyred there for their religion and were hailed by people from their community. They will kill us all in the name of God.

I agree with almost everyone here. I definitely support the right to build a mosque anywhere. However, these moderate Muslims should realize that: - this will illicit extremely powerful emotions against them from many Americans, even if these powerful emotions are unjustified and ignorant. - it is insensitive to the families of those who died, who don’t care about abstract philoosphical, religious, or Constitutional principles. they are hurting because their loved ones were murdered, and this adds to their hurt even though it may make these moderate Muslims feel better. - a right to do something comes with an implied responsibility to be respectful to the community at large.

Great post, sublimity – totally agree with what you said