CAIA Exam

frank/stern et.al, do you know if the test is split into 2 parts? or is it just a break between a big one test? In other words, is it like CFA test where each segment of test covers all topics or the otherway around ?

they say there is an “optional” 1 hour break. you ready fellas?

Panic, panic and more panic!!!

Level one last September was like the CFA level one… covered all parts during both sessions… Good Luck!

how many of the questions pertained to rote memory? i.e distribution returns, authors of papers, factually based questions.

Entrepreneur Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level one last September was like the CFA level > one… covered all parts during both sessions… > Good Luck! It’s like LI as in how the material is tested, or the difficulaty level?

I’m pushing through too. Lots to cover still. Good luck everybody.

Dear Entreprenuer, While we do understand that disclosure of any Qns related to test is prohibited, it will be really helpful for us, if you could let us know your opinion on difficulty level & also to what extent fomulae, data, authors etc need to be memorized… Appreciate any feedback.

i’m so excited about this exam. mine is one the 17th. when is everybody else’s?

Not sure if this is going to be helpfull since its been a year since I took level one but here goes… it is similar to CFA level one in that it covered all the topics in both sessions. The breaks work like the NASD exams… take them if you want them but you can start the next part once the proctor sets the next session up for you. Make sure you take some of the time. I used the UpperMark books and test bank and read most of the primary readings. I had very little background with most of the alternative material so it was an interesting read and some of the terms were new. The only real issue I had was I used most of the time and thought I was running out. If you have read the material and done some questions you should be fine. Unlike the CFA, at least so far, CAIA isn’t trying to trick you or make sure you are ready for a phd program. There were a few questions that I wasn’t sure what they were asking for so it could have been a or b kind of things but I felt pretty good after it… not too many calculations. I don’t even think I really need my hp12c. If you have any other questions I’ll try to answer them. Main thing read as much of the material as you can. Good luck! Patty

Did anyone have their exam today??? mine is next week…

Thanks Patty for the information.

How is everyone doing with a) names of models (esp. asset pricing) b) memorizing skewness, kurtosis, sharpe’s ratios, avg return for various asset classes? I broadly understand the variuos concepts, but am yet to memorize the details. hopefully i should do this in the next 2-3 days…

i think i’m pretty good with the names of the asset pricing models. only new ones are the Kraus/litzenberg and merton/hendrikson. as to memorizing distributions, sorta. i’m going to do some practice questions now.

i think i’m pretty good with the names of the asset pricing models. only new ones are the Kraus/litzenberg and merton/hendrikson. as to memorizing distributions, sorta. i’m going to do some practice questions now.

For people who have taken the exam…how has it been? got done with it in the morning…it was…well…okay

riposte, got mine 2mr at 9…i feel great…i feel strong…i’m ready.

Good luck! If you pass, you can all look forward to years of explaining to people what the hell this is and why you bothered to waste your time and money on it!

HoldsideAnalyst, obviously you haven’t taken it so your ignorance is justified. I’d like to say firstly that i enjoyed the course thoroughly and have absolutely no regrets about taking it. ok, i did mine paying for it, but oh well. but i’ll enlighten you. CAIA teaches you about AI in the most basic manner. so you get knowledge. i don’t have to explain the importance of this issue because you already know this is a big part of finance now. why not just sit home and read a book? well, i would rather get something on paper that shows that i know at least the most basic about AI. would it get me a job, problably not, but hte knowledge i acquired might. obviously you don’t have that problem since you’re already a big shot. Can i get an interview?

Agreed Frank. I’ve learned a lot after studying this stuff and understand alt. Inv. significantly better now. I interned at a HF before and this taught me frankly more about what my PM was doing than I could hope to observe. I have it on the 21st…