CAIA Exam

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HoldsideAnalyst, obviously you haven’t taken it so > your ignorance is justified. I’d like to say > firstly that i enjoyed the course thoroughly and > have absolutely no regrets about taking it. ok, i > did mine paying for it, but oh well. > > but i’ll enlighten you. CAIA teaches you about AI > in the most basic manner. so you get knowledge. i > don’t have to explain the importance of this issue > because you already know this is a big part of > finance now. > > why not just sit home and read a book? well, i > would rather get something on paper that shows > that i know at least the most basic about AI. > would it get me a job, problably not, but hte > knowledge i acquired might. > > obviously you don’t have that problem since you’re > already a big shot. Can i get an interview? I feel like I actually now know less about the CAIA then before I read that post. I don’t understand what “AI in the most basic manner” is. You learn, in a basic manner, all you need to know about AI from the CFA program.

Common man…I just dont understand why some people are so much against some course/test…Have life…Argue about something more interesting or atleast have a point when you want to argue… riposte, How was it? Any suggestions for us who are yet to take it?

Mine is on the 19th… and im going through memory lapses and jitters…

Aztek, Test was okay… my suggestions… - there is more than enough time…so no rush - calculations are simple - make sure that you read the entire course content once, even if you plan to leave a section (read the summary or something) - remember the various terms and what they mean…there will be a number of easy questions, which you can answer if you know what a ‘term’ means . Let us know how your test works out?

Thanks…Mine is on 21st…I think Frank’s is today…Good luck to Frank…

aztek and fellow CAIA brothers, indeed mine was today. I felt i did enough to pass. we’ll have to see what happens. good luck Aztek and to the rest of you who are writing in the next few days. i agree with Riposte 100%

All, I just took the CAIA Level I exam. What did you guys/gals think?

Frank, Did you “enjoy” the exam at least? Do you wish you used Schweser, b/c from what I recall you only used the curriculum readings. Looking back, has the knowledge you acquired made level I worth it? Could you compare how much you’ve learned in AI from this exam, as opposed to the CFA AI section (i.e., CFA = 4 in AI, CAIA = 9 in AI)? I just want to gather whether there is more than ample material in CFA regarding AI. Thanks!

i’ve only did the first two levels of CFA so i can’t comment on how much overlap there was. the stuff that WAS covered related to commodities and some credit derivatives. i really didn’t learn that much about commodities. I was kinda disappointed. credit derivatives, not too much either but i think i have a basic understanding of both now. i definitely enjoyed studying for it. as a matter of fact, i enjoyed it more then CFA since i found the whole subject to be more interesting. i’m looking forward to writing level 2 as well since they will be getting into even more interesting things. lets hope i get through L1 first. I did use schweser, but i would heavily recommend reading the book. The notes are there to help you pass the test, but the books are there to help you learn. the books i think are very good too. if you just grab the notes, i feel you’re missing out on the most important part, the real knowledge. i recommend this course if you’re a novice and have no idea what a hedge fund is or what alt. investments are. i feel more comfortable now reading stuff on arbitrage and AI in general, so the course was well worth it for me.

mbhasin, what’s your opinion on the test & coverage? Any suggestions!

My friend just bought the UPPERMARK CAIA LEVEL 2’s testbank software that contain 700 questions. She knew it is kind of late but she is looking for someone who can share the expense and having this for the last round preparing. Actually, It is still have 1 time download and 1 time register available and she is asking forUSD$72. Therefore, send me a email if you are interested and then she will send you all the information that you need to download and activate the software. Thank you

How many hours of study are suggested for this exam?

u know what really pissed me off with the exam. the fact i didn’t get any paper to write on, just some stupid pad and some marker that I couldn’t write on half the time. i think they should seriously change that. if they had some serious calculations, i would be screwed. they should just make this a scantron exam. they also took my picture and took my fingerprint. i felt violated but gangster at the same time.

I guess what I’m really wondering about is if this example would be something one could take between Level 1 and Level 2, or if it is even advisable?

Frank, how was the test for you? What were the calculations on and what were the most tricky parts of the test? Were calculations around 15% of the test just like the practice exams? I have it on the 21st…am doing the extra practice exams along with stern sh!t.

since it’s a computer test, is it possible to go back and answer previous questions?

stern, yes you can definitely do that. the problem is, our testing centres does not allow pencil or paper. they give you this marker card and a crappy marker. so if you have to go through some calculations, you’re done!!! luckily, i did not have to but i was always nervous in the exam, what if they ask me to solve for something more difficult. i wouldn’t be able to do it because i wasn’t able to utilize any resources (pencil and paper). that really upset me. stern, i think if you do the practice exams, you’ll be alright. if you know the stuff, you’ll feel comfortable. khj, whether you can do it between 1 and 2 ultimiately depends on your talent and motivation. i’m reading about this stuff for fun now and not necessarily studying so I take it for the hell of it. but if you’re a person that has to “study” rather then “learn”, might not be a good idea. but that decision rests upon you only.

You got no calculations on the exam??? !!!

stern, there are a few calculation oriented questions…but they are very straightforward… If for instance take the radioactive decay function (not using any CAIA examples, to avoid this post from being banned) N1 = N0 exp(LT) you would be given N0, L and T…and you will have to calculate N1 Ofcourse there could be some which may require a little bit more such as NPV, IRR calculation but thats about it

I’m taking the test on friday. Out of curiosity, how was the difficulty level of the actual exam compared to the kaplan practice tests?