CAIA - Level 1 Results

Yup. I agree. Looks like the CAIA CEO is a lurker on this thread. Would be great if he can chime in on why his staffs attention is focussed on pushing in more money for early registration instead of giving results to those who have been waiting three weeks. A bell curve does not take 3 weeks to establish!!!

What time do we expect the results? Any insight about the time it was released in the previous terms?

The previous years results would have been equivalent to releasing them on Tuesday (two days ago). They clearly put all their focus on the release of the new website and enrollment of new candidates. All in all, very weak performance from a company we paid a ton of money to.

In past years, on the day the results came out, the time frame was mid-to-late morning US Eastern Time. Since that timeframe has now passed for today, I’m guessing tomorrow is the day of reckoning…

Of course, with this year’s website overhaul occurring the results window, what happened in past years may not be indicative of what’ll happen this year, so perhaps there’s a small chance we may see something later today…

Agree on the money bit. They need to be much more organized. Lot to learn indeed!

This is pretty standard fair for a SMALL non-for-profit. The CFA Institute is significantly larger and has way more staff and money to work with. However, it was a clear error to try launching a new website, open early registration, and release exam results all within the same week…this is project management 101 (aka common sense 101).

Three weeks turnaround, and computerized testing for increased efficiency in grading and data collection. I will take this any day rather than wait as long I have to for CFA or CBV marks. Don’t worry everyone, one more day and hopefully we all get a pass! Let’s not be so quick to judge the CAIA.

Firstly, I would have preferred the option to write on paper instead of computer. Secondly, the only thing they need to do is dump the results into a spreadsheet and do some very basic stat calculations to find a reasonable bellcurve. From that they just need to import it into the web profile and show where you scored high/low/avg in each section. This does not take 3 weeks. Give me one analyst and it would be done properly within 3-4 business days

I am not sure about their internal processes so this is just speculation, but I am assuming they have a similar process to the CFAI. They would review all the questions individually and would need to deep dive to understand why people did poorly on some questions. In addition, they are relying on a third-party source (Pearson) for the data which I doubt will come to CAIA as soon as the last person finishes their exam. Then there is additional verification with the CAIA executives deciding on some sort of minimum passing score. I actually think three weeks is a fast turnaround. I would rather the CAIA take their time than have one analyst “dump the data” in a spreadsheet and finish in a week.

On another note, if you know the material well, then I see no real difference in paper testing versus computerized testing, but can understand why certain candidates would prefer one method over another. I understand your frustration. I teach MBA classes part-time and have a quick turnaround for marks as I understand the anxiety behind waiting for grades before making your next career/educational decision!

Patience is a virtue.

Any wager on the exact time grades will be released? I think 10am Eastern Time for us in Toronto.

Ya, that’s probably an okay time to hit the bar, either way.

i say 9am ET

I heard yesterday that they were aiming to send out the results on Friday by 5pm.

Who told you this?

My phone will be dead by then from all the refreshing haha

Who did you hear this from?

A friend who called the HQ at 3pm yesterday. I don’t like the word “aiming”…

Makes sense. Told you that they are frantically trying to meet the deadline. To the guy that predicted 9am…nothing gets done at 9am ever, unless it is a script, and if it is a script then they could have done it last night lol

I just called them and was told they will definitely be released today

I predict 4-5pm EST. Late enough that they will be gone for the weekend to avoid phone calls from those that failed.