CAIA Level 1

Agreed. Keep in mind that knowledge/education seeking and riches are not mutually exclusive. One can be an academic at heart but also a successful practitioner.

Level 1 exam results came out today. How did everyone do?

website is down I guess !

i cant log in…

I can’t either. What’s up with this?

Isn’t this wait frustrating?

Its the most stupidest of all…They know how many people registered for exam and they must be easily able to project load on website when results are released. It has been 3 hours and they are not able to bring up the web site…

and I have passed…phew!!!

I passed also. Level 2 should be much more challenging. How did everyone do on Level 1?

I reading material and topics covered were very intersting. So I dont think I have wasted money/time based on those aspects. However, the test was not very challenging, meaning you dont have to think much to answer most of the Qns. If you know the answer, you will get points, otherwise there isnt much you can do. About 90% of Qns are very direct qns. As a result, I have doubts how much value it will have.

Passed! As mentioned before, having months to years of hedge fund analyst experience means far more. But as an education, this program is very good. It’s Alt. Inv. stuff you have to learn sooner or later. The exam was straightforward, and served as a means to check if you studied the material and put in your 150 hours of studying time. A casual glance at the huge amount of Level 2’s readings makes it apparent that level 2 is far more involved as it has essay tests dealing with porfolio management with alternative investments. However, I might take the FRM instead of the Level 2 CAIA to add another line and knowledge base on the CV and finish up the CAIA next sept. Is the next FRM offered in May? Anyone considering studying the Chartered Market Technition (CMT) to learn about technical analysis?

Just curious, did anyone buy the Wharton Real Estate Finance Textbook when they prepared for this exam?

do remember that they can make the exam harder. its not hard at all. they can do that at any time i would expect them to do that.

stern, FRM is offered once a year in November…you’re too late…you should have done FRM with me.

well, i’m under the impression that since the exam was designed by Finance doctorates with CFAs, (if you check their board of directors and all the academics involved in the program) and their use of the CFA standards of practice, it’s supposed to become the eventual Alt. Investment complement to the CFA exam to cover what the CFA program fails to encompass. I think the test in five years will become difficult as the candidates and charterholders hit the 20,000- or higher mark.

I can’t do the FRM right now. Mentally and physically impossible to free up 250-300 hours of study time. I’m still in undergrad, finishing up the CPA accounting courses. I want to take it in 2008, is it offered in May?

The FRM is very deriviatives intense, right? How much does it rely on the HULL Futures&Options derivatives bible?

The FRM relies on the Hull book quite a bit. I passed the FRM Exam last year. It is a tough exam.

Yes I bought the Wharton real estate book. It wasn’t great. Probably a way for the author to make some extra bucks as part of the program. Real estate was only 15 questions on Level 1 so not overly critical.

How do these exams CAIA and FRM compare to CFA, in terms of difficulty level? Thanks