CAIA Level 1

CAIA level 1 is as easy as the non accounting portions of the CFA level 1, IMHO.

can some one post the test history stats here? general exam results - passed, not passed, no show, etc… thanks

how many of you guys are writing the CAIA L2 in March? i’m seriously considering it. i thoroughly enjoyed L1 and i saw the books for L2 and they look hot. very sexy. i’m writing the FRM in November. I think I’m a bit late in studying. I sense that this exam is going to be tough and I never overlook my opponent.

Never overlook your opponent and don’t get arrogrant. Definitely good advice. I just signed up for CAIA Level 2 and bought the books today. Agreed -they look sexy and interesting. I’m looking forward to digging into them for hopes of completing the CAIA charter this March.

i definitely want to read Convertible Arb. and the REIT book. i’m not sure if i have enough time to actually go for the L2, dont’ watn to take the risk in June.

Do you have any designations at this point?

Level 2 CAIA looks very long and very interesting with all the portfolio management material. Frank, isn’t the FRM offered twice a year? May/Nov or do I have it wrong?

you have it wrong. FRM is once a year. a lot of the material is similar to L2. definitely overlap between L2 and FRM. you still learn no doubt. i heard the exam is comparable to CFA L2. i don’t want to end up like Jermaine.

Jermaine, what do you mean? Oh, well, that leaves the CPA/CFA first half of 08’ and beyond then CAIA 2 sept., FRM nov for me. Good luck on the FRM.

jermaine Taylor…

Sternwolf, what’s the reasonable estimate of CAIA Level I study hours with decent background?

I agree that CAIA Level 2 seems like a challenge. Besides the books, there are several journal articles and 2 Harvard Business School Case studies. It would appear comparable to the material in say 6-7 MBA finance courses. I think definitely a worthwhile endeavor for the money. At say NYU Stern, each MBA finance class would cost you approx $4,000.

I think around 150 hours should give you a pass. But level 2 looks like a whole different story…take a look at the readings… http://www.caia.org/curriculumreadings/level_II/ http://www.caia.org/curriculumreadings/level_I/ Yeah, level 2 CAIA looks like a ton, far more than CAIA 1 …4 new textbooks and two dozen case studies, shit. Mbhasin, were you an MBA student at NYU? I would say CAIA level 1’s level of work would be equal to two or three MBA finance courses (the alt invest. class, the hedge fund class).

I did my B.S. at NYU Stern and M.S. at Columbia. I completed the the CFA, FRM and PRM designations. This is essentially the last designation I can get. I am looking for the knowledge as opposed to a designation to put on the business card. I do work in real estate finance so there are likely some networking benefits as well.

mbhasin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did my B.S. at NYU Stern and M.S. at Columbia. > I completed the the CFA, FRM and PRM designations. > This is essentially the last designation I can > get. I am looking for the knowledge as opposed to > a designation to put on the business card. I do > work in real estate finance so there are likely > some networking benefits as well. was there a particular reason you choose to do the PRM as well as the FRM? I’m choosing the FRM because its good for my schedule. i’m not into writing 4 exams.

What were your majors for your B.S and M.S? FRM is like a harder combination of the futures and options course with the risk management course offered at nyu finance. Same source textbooks and everything.

B.S. in finance and accounting M.S. Real estate finance The FRM was tough though I highly recommend it. It is very complementary to the CFA. I did both the PRM and FRM because I was bored and wanted an intellectual challenge. I think the FRM is far more difficult. I was able to place out of 2 of the 4 PRM exams because of my CFA charter.

everytime i hear that the FRM is tough, i start to think of Kelly Pavlik and how Jermaine Taylor was treating the ordeal that went down 2 weeks ago. Like i said, I don’t want to end up like Jermaine. everybody says he can hit and here I am thinking i have to chin and the skills to overcome all of that.

I didn’t know that Columbia offered an M.S. in real estate finance. I thought it was only at the MBA school. How many classes does it take to get an MS in REF? what did you do after NYU?

the MS Real Estate is one year with a thesis. Aprox 12 classes. Had some Wall Street gigs at PaineWebber (Financial Analyst) and GMAC Commercial Mortgage (Associate).