can you defer the exam for medical reasons?

i recently had what was supposed to be minor routine surgery, but it’s really taken its toll on me. i’ve been out of work for an entire week (should only have been a day or two), i’m already through my second prescription of vicatin, and i don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. i still don’t feel any better than i did on day 3. could be out at least another week. today was the first time i tried studying since last sunday, and i have just been knocked off my train of thought. i don’t get any of the stuff i had just spent weeks learning and getting comfortable with. any chance the cfai will grant me deferral, or is it not possible no matter what?

I’m afraid the only other option is June 2009…

I’m fine with that. It was more of a matter of the actual deference than the date. Like, will it be possible to defer my fees to 09? I just don’t think I can sufficiently learn the material by June at this point.

Don’t think you’ll be able to defer the fees. Most likely you’ll have to register again for June 2009. You might want to send them an email to be sure.

So sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope you get well soon! Health is more important at this point obviously. It would be best to call them up and talk to them about the fees part.

I wouldn’t even bother. There is no chance you can get the fees back.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t even bother. There is no chance you > can get the fees back. Joey the realist dream-breaker. I’d like to see him as a HS school guidance counselor. “You know the world needs ditch diggers too kid.”

You can always give people hope but if reality tells you there’s no way you get the fees back, why not tell brother bilo that it’s hopeless if he asks for it?

I have neevr heard of anyone getting their fees back even if a) They ask 5 minutes after registration because they pressed the wrong button b) The test taker was hopsitalized with catastrophic injuries c) family death prevents takig the exam (all AF scenarios). I wonder if they would refund fees if you died prior to taking the exam.

The real problem here is to find a volunteer for that test.

welp, not what i wanted to read, but thanks for the honesty. sucks.

It sure does. Perhaps you should focus on getting better and when you do just get back to studying. You never know… the general concensus is that the freaks on this forum are far ahead of the bunch so I wouldn’t say you don’t have a good shot at passing despite all this.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have neevr heard of anyone getting their fees > back even if a) They ask 5 minutes after > registration because they pressed the wrong button > Hahaha Joey - I remember that dude from last year. You ripped that guy a new one something fierce. It was great!

lol

Joey is making a habit of being negative, sarcastic, insulting, and unhelpful. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,686921

mcpass, thanks for the words… i don’t know though, i just look at the material now and can’t bring myself to get into it. it might be the agonizing pain i’m in, but that may just have been the last of many straws.

brother bilo, I was once in your shoes with a prolonged recovery from “minor” surgery. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I wouldn’t give up on 2008 yet. Maybe it will turn around quicker than you think. At the very least sit for the exam and see what the vignette style is like for level II. Good luck.

zimzim78 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have neevr heard of anyone getting their fees > > back even if a) They ask 5 minutes after > > registration because they pressed the wrong > button > > > > > Hahaha Joey - I remember that dude from last year. > You ripped that guy a new one something fierce. > It was great! Did I? I actually think that CFAI is pretty unreasonable about this policy. You can rescond your commitment to a home mortgage within (I forget) 3 days or something. Why can’t you rescond your commitment to the CFA exam in some reasonable period? It;s not like they are out any money because you backed out. Anyway, I’m not tryng to be negative here - I’m just saying that CFAI has never let anyone have a dime back that I know of and I have heard of much more compelling reasons than minor surgery interrupting study time (btw - pregnancy seems to come up pretty often too and CFAI doesn’t give money back if you find out you will be exactly 9 months pregnant on exam day).

Personally I think you’re usually on target Joey, there seems to be a lack of realism around these parts sometimes, with the exception of the day results come out. I can’t tell if mcpass is being serious or not?

I usually am not but you never know.