CFA ebooks now available

Can someone confirm if End of Chapter problems are same as the physical books? It will be good if I can printout certain chapters’ end of chapter problems so that I don’t have to carry around the entire book.

Yes they are the same. The problems are scanned in from the book, and at the top is a link you can click to “view these problems in an interactive environment”. When you click that you are taken to the Pearson site. I have the problems from Reading 28 side by side from the download and the pearson site and they are the same.

Can someone confirm if this resource is only for the candidates? I haven’t registered yet and still contemplating, was wondering if just spending 50 bucks i can get started.

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes they are the same. The problems are scanned > in from the book, and at the top is a link you can > click to “view these problems in an interactive > environment”. When you click that you are taken > to the Pearson site. I have the problems from > Reading 28 side by side from the download and the > pearson site and they are the same. Thx DoubleDip. I might fork over 50 bucks so that I can view ebooks from work.

@reema, since you have to log in to get access, I think you might have to be a candidate.

Is this web based , so I can access from work or my home laptop or something I have to download to a computer and if so can I download on 2 pcs? But either way this is great ! $50? well we are already knee deep into this what’s another $50 lol

@ponybiz: both! I have noticed that the downloaded version is superior to the web-based version. I downloaded to my work computer and home desktop, but can also access through the web on any computer. And there’s a synchronization feature where you can apparently keep your notes, recently viewed pages and highlighted pages in sync. now I am thinking maybe i should have downloaded to my laptop not my desktop, and don’t know if it’s possible yet. My company paid for my registration so I didn’t mind the $50 out of my pocket. if this will help me pass, I am going to do whatever I have to do.

The part of this that sucks is expiration at the end of the year. The CFAI books are a very good reference, and your notes in the margin help the second time through (or third or fourth). For instance, I have been referring back to my Level I quant quite a bit as I work through the regression topic. The way I read the eBook description, this would not be possible with the eBooks because they expire at the end of the year. Printing out notes without content is not that helpful, I imagine. I’d then want to transcribe them to my hard texts (tedious). I assume the eBook copy you can “download” to your laptop also expires and is unreadable at the end of the year? If this all is correct and the eBooks can’t be used as an ongoing reference in future years, it seems a crippled solution. Dis/Agree? Happy to discuss…

good point but we still have the hard copies and I don’t normally write in my books. With the ebooks I’ve been going crazy with the highlighters. I’m assuming that once I’ve passed, I won’t be opening these books again… I’ll go back to the original source. but your argument is valid and it’s something that people have been debating in general on the ebook market. Paying for the rights to an ebook and having the expectation that this entitles you (and rightly so, in my opinion) to lifetime rights to the ebook is being challenged on other platforms. I saw an article not too long ago about amazon deleting access to certain ebooks on it’s kindle after the publisher changed their minds and decided they didn’t want to sell through amazon any longer. http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21311

CFA has already incresed the fees for 2010 in this tough economic times and above that wants to charge $ 50 for the e-books. We all should write to them to provide it free of charge. I have written to them and if every candidate do it it may have an impact on them. May be worth the try. Thanks

Does anyone know (and I realize copyright issues may come into play here) if one can copy and paste text from the eBook into say an Excel spreadsheet.

I just tried it and the answer is yes.

ahem, like academia, CFAI is a BUSINESS

Why aren’t these books available in the p2p networks yet? Cmon guys gimme my free ebook

I’m listening to this ebook read to me right now…it’s pretty funny and snazzy. It’s an improvement in foresight that they did this. It’s worth paying something to have it produced. Trying to get it to start the speaker at the right place and keep going is hard. Don’t know how to un-highlight or delete the note, but you can edit. There are still glitches in the program when you click the side navigator. I suppose it’s also worth something to eliminate an excuse that I don’t want to read the CFAI text b/c it is cumbersome, heavy and flop everywhere…hahaha

I see our resident level 3 hottie has returned.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I see our resident level 3 hottie has returned. If you are talking to me Ali, it’s not true… I failed L2 and am retaking L2 *sniff*sniff As for hottie, you are a Sweetie Ali;) Somebody linked this conversation about the ebook on the L2 forum. I’m very jealous of you and all L3ers but wish everyone great luck and good studying to take down L3 and be done with these painful exams!

Does the ebook take account of the errata published by the Institute?

GoodXter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does the ebook take account of the errata > published by the Institute? It looks to me like it’s a direct scan of the books so I would say no -without verification.

then the next logical question - is it going to be - will it study for me??? it speaks, autocorrects - so it should study too right???