CFA Level 1 Decemeber-Will it be cancelled?

Hi,
I have registered for CFA Level 1 exam for Dec 2020. However, I feel given the current health situation in the world, its still scary thought to go to the center and write the exam. People are speculating that the peak of Covid-19 in India will come towards the end of Nov’2020 or beginning of Dec 2020.

If that’s the case, I would be more tensed about catching Covid 19 in the exam hall rather than concentrating on the exam.

Just wanted to have a general opinion - Does anyone think that CFA Level -1 exam in Dec would be further postponed?
I heard that IFOA had conducted an online assessment of Actuaries aspirants in May this year as the exam could not be conducted at the test centers. Do you think CFA will do something similar?

Any thoughts on this are welcome

I also worry that December exams might get canceled, because here in the US reopenings are failing in most big states, with cases surging even higher than before. I really don’t want to spend time studying again (it’s like failing the exam and you have to start again, and then again failing, to only start preparing for the third time). And the exam will be held in winter, the most favourable time for viruses.

2 Likes

I completely agree! I don’t want to spend time studying again too!

1 Like

Same concerns here for level 2. I’m in Los Angeles so it’s particularly hard hit with the virus and I’m suspecting that the exams probably will not happen.

1 Like

I am also worried about this. Hopefully if they do cancel, they will do so with some lead time so that people can plan appropriately. Right now I cannot see how December can be committed to with certainty.

1 Like

What sucks about this is that not committing to studying now is also very risky because what if the situation starts becoming stable around Oct-Nov and the exams get conducted in Dec as scheduled. Its difficult to predict anything to be honest. We cannot say for sure whether situation will get better or get worse. I know these are difficult times for everyone, and our lives have completely changed. But we gotta hustle. Right now, I am taking it slow and studying at my own pace. Not committing too many hours to study everyday nor completely giving up on studying. I think both the extremes are risky. It should be somewhere in between. Be mentally prepared for anything to happen.

1 Like

Does anyone know how masks affect your exam taking capabilities? Can you pass out? Less oxygen means your brain won’t be getting enough resources to function properly, I guess.

For people with breathing difficulties or asthma, the mask can cause discomfort. That could affect your exam taking condition.

Not sure if they will ask candidates to wear the mask during exams. They will probably do temperature checks and set the tables apart by 1-1.5m to have a safe distance. But that could mean CFA needs to rent more exam venues. And that would mean more proctors. I will pity the proctors more because they need to have the mask on the whole time.

Or they could just postpone the Dec exam to June :thinking:

Or this could speed up Level 2 and 3 to computer-based exams. :grimacing:

emailed CFA institute, and this is what they replied:

" We are carefully tracking pandemic-related restrictions around the globe. We hope that there will be no need for further postponements. If local situations require a change in plans we will adapt as needed. We are developing contingency plans for December. These contingency plans include: allowing test center changes to other locations, issuing an additional postponement, or deferring to a computer-based administration. As the December exam date approaches, we will react to the specific challenges of the pandemic and inform you of our plans."

It’s a standard answer. Can’t blame them as there are too many uncertainties to make any decision now.

IMHO they just don’t want to spend more and are being greedy. C’mon just spend some more money on extra precautions, disinfectants, temperature checkers, and extra rent.

They probably will do that, but my guess is they are also waiting on whether the government/law allows mass gatherings. In Malaysia, a mass gathering is limited to 250 pax, given the current condition (but the usual size of a CFA exam sitting is in the region of 2000+). If they do all the bookings and extra rental and get restricted from organizing the exam (or limited size), it is will be money wasted.

I also had the same concern back in May. I am in Canada and conditions are better but I seriously doubt the exam will be held in December unfortunately. I registered for the June exam because of that. Studying another 6 months and then having the December exam postponed to June would be a huge waste of time. Planning to get back to it around September and slowly go through the curriculum. Since I had already went over all readings it will mostly be about practicing and reviewing. I really hope you guys will be able to take the exam in December.