CFA Level 1 June 2008

Where do u guys stand in your preparation for June 2008 Level 1 exam… I just registered 2 days back & started preparation with the Session 1… are 7 months sufficient time to prepare considering I have a little background in Finance…

Finfan, Prep is on. I had a reading of ethics. And a little more than half way for Quant. I am reading from CFA books only. 7 months is ok. I think you will be able to do it. Some people read through Scheweser material and they are faster but I believe that CFA material should be followed and that does take some time to read. All the best.

mates, this has been discussed at length earlier on this site. 7 months is more than enough (if you’re putting on an average 12-14 hours a week) for a person with no finance background. i haven’t seen the schweser notes for 2008, but i believe one should prepare from cfai text only for the following reasons - 1. cfai has made it mandatory to purchase text from them and would try to put those people at disadvantage who are preping from schweser or other sources. 2. i compared 2007 schweser notes to the 2008 cfai text, and believe me or not, a lot of important stuff is missing from the schweser notes (e.g. revenue vs elasticity of demand curve, etc.) The only exception I would say is the quant section. Its much easier and faster to do quant from schweser and there isn’t any difference in LOS for those sections. anyway, me also taking level 1 in june 2008. started preping last month. did ethics, quant (from schweser 2007), and currently midway in econs! i’m only putting 6-8 hours per week, and i know its time to roll up the sleeves. planning to finish the rest of econs and FSA by end november.

I’ve also started preparing for the June 2008. About 3/4 of the way through book 1, also looking to finish econ and most of FSA by end of November.

Is there anyway I can get hold of the notes on Quantitative Methods? I am about to finish the study session 1 and want to start the session 2. Since I registered only 3-4 days ago, I am thinking it is going to take a lot of time before I receive the CFA Institute’s course material for Level 1.

7-8 months in advance. Isn’t this overkill? I heard 5-6 months is plenty of time. Some even said to go 4 months of intense studying.

Hey Guys … Since you have received your 2008 material could u please confirm me one thing: Reading 57-which is Industry Analysis… In 2007 material most part of it was an optional reading… Has it remained the same for 2008 text also … Thanks…

I’m taking the exam in Dec. and I have yet to finish Book 5. Having started Aug. 15, I’d say things are moving pretty smoothly. I should have approximately 5 weeks of review which I believe is good enough - although only time will tell - but I’m certainly not worried.

hey guys, i am also gearing myself towards CFA Level June 2008 i am actually studying fulltime in MBA program right now…hopefully i can find time everyweek to study for the test just purchased the Schweser Essential package, am waiting to register for CFAI hopefully within couple weeks

“Hey Guys … Since you have received your 2008 material could u please confirm me one thing: Reading 57-which is Industry Analysis… In 2007 material most part of it was an optional reading… Has it remained the same for 2008 text also … Thanks…” -It is required in the 2008 curriculum, but it is only 3 pages of reading. They must have condensed this particular part this year.

Hi Finfan, I’m also signed up for June 2008. I’m on volume 1, SS 2, reading 8, which is about half way through the book. My personal opinion is start as soon as possible. You will spend considerable time working through the problems in the readings. Also, if you haven’t picked up a financial calculator yet, do so. Get the TI BA II Plus. Affordable, packed with features, and easier to use than HP. g

Thank you guys!! This helps…

I have set up a group in yahoo called “cfa2008”. If anyone interested, please join and we’ll decide how we should go together.

I havent started yet…plan to start in a couple of weeks because right now I’m just finishing up my CSC for work, starting in mid-November will give me 5 and a half months which I THINK will be plenty of time if I stick to my schedule and keep ploughing through the material…sounds feasible, right? (I need some reassurance;))

Finishing up my MBA this semester but have received my CFAI materials. I have read through the ethics and stds and am starting to work on quant methods. I’m going to take it easy and not get too deep into it until January.

My schweser and CFAI materials just arrived last week, but I’m not going to dive into them just yet. Partly because I don’t wanna get burned out too quickly, but also because I have alot of family coming in for a wedding next week. So, I figure I’m gonna get the last of my partying done before I go into recluse. I still do around 15-20 questions of the question bank daily though, I find that pretty useful.

Finish in November? How many hours per week are you putting in?

“Also, if you haven’t picked up a financial calculator yet, do so. Get the TI BA II Plus. Affordable, packed with features, and easier to use than HP.” I agree. The TI BA II Plus is “pretty” good. I bought one last week at BrandsMart USA - $19.99. WalMart has the very calc listed @ $36.95. I also am working my way through Volume 1. Currently, doing about 8 hours per week. I will will “crank” it up a bit to reach my target 20+ per week.

ForumJP Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey guys, > > i am also gearing myself towards CFA Level June > 2008 > > i am actually studying fulltime in MBA program > right now…hopefully i can find time everyweek to > study for the test > > just purchased the Schweser Essential package, am > waiting to register for CFAI hopefully within > couple weeks Same here except I’m not in a MBA program, I’m a recent finance grad that’s working. I just ordered the Schweser Essential package and it should be here by Friday. I have yet to register for the exam, as I am still saving money for it (other expenses). I’ll prob breeze through Schweser one time, go hardcore in CFAI study guides, then go hardcore through Schweser again. I plan on giving it my all on the weekends and doing some studying during the work week. Looks like I won’t be partying for a while- I plan on making the gym my outlet instead of the bar/social nightlife.

How do you buy updated Schweser package now? I think it is not completley updated for June 08 yet… http://www.schweser.com/cfa1.php#product_availability_insert_link http://www.schweser.com/products/packages.php