CFA+MSF?

kimmer09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MSF, MBA, CFA and NFL Cheerleader… > > Still unemployed. > > Cheers! See what UoP will do? It even subracts the positive attributes.

It can be useful and give you a slight edge, but in my opinion, it’s not worth it with all things considered in the finance world (especially because the CFA is the golden standard). Same with MBA. I know that the MSA means nothing for accountants. However, the MBT does mean something. If you’re getting it paid for by the company, why not?

It also depends on what you want to learn. Look at the program and the topics covered to see which program is of greater interest to you. It is not just about which one will provide you with the most return. The more important thing is how will you use the information. That is what is going to provide the return at the end. If you are interested in the program and you can use the material to advance yout lot in life. I am sure there are many stories of peopel with the CFA, MBA etc who realize in a few year they don’t like it and move on. That is the lowest return on investment.

It also depends on what you want to learn. Look at the program and the topics covered to see which program is of greater interest to you. It is not just about which one will provide you with the most return. The more important thing is how will you use the information. That is what is going to provide the return at the end. If you are interested in the program and you can use the material to advance yout lot in life. I am sure there are many stories of peopel with the CFA, MBA etc who realize in a few year they don’t like it and move on. That is the lowest return on investment.

Sorry about the 2x post

Wow, is that really necessary??? You’re an ass.

I thought it was funny. If you were telling the truth, there would be no need for sarcastic posts.

ohh wow, so now I am a liar? You really are an ass… wanna see my resume? JERK.

When you apply to financial institutions, do you put the NFL cheerleader component on your resume? Simply curious…

In what universe does a resume written by you count as verification? Besides, I wouldn’t brag about having all those attributes and no job. It sends a message about you. This market’s bad, but it’s not thaaat bad.

Seriously, this forum is full of rude people. @Black Swan… What gives you the right to jump in and be an ass as well?? Does it make you all feel better to take stabs at people you don’t even know? Say what you want, but you do not know me nor ever will…and my life is better because of that. I know who I am and what I have accomplished.

Wait, you’re really an NFL cheerleader? And you have the relevant work experience to have your CFA? Its hard to determine if someone is joking or not on this forum.

Allegro, I personally think the more quantitative the MSF program the better. You’ll want a something that goes above and beyond what the CFA can provide. If quant isn’t you cup of tea, the go for MBA (networking). kimmer09, unless there are multiple NFL cheerleaders with the charter, weren’t you once featured as a CFA success story? What happened?

Wow, I wonder what football team you are cheer-leading. the Redskins? I think we had this discussion in another thread about good looking traders. Do you work at an investment firm during the day and then cheerleader on the weekends? sounds like a good gig for a girl. For a dude, I guess the best case scenario would to be a CFA during the day, football player at night, not like its possible unless you are a football player that owns his own fund or something. Take those millions you made as an NFL star and become a trader with it. Thanks MCalamari, It def seems that MSF is only good for top schools that are quant focused. I am on the fundamental analyst track, not the computer model quant focused one, combining the CPA with CFA.

I’m one of those crazy people who have elected to do both the MSF and MBA as well as the CFA (who knows if I’ll finish heh). The MSF program is good if you 1) already work in finance, and 2) have more of a quantitative-based career path. As a software engineer I enjoyed the more quantitative work. The MSF alone I don’t think is worth all that much, but combined with an MBA it shows both quantitative as well as more qualitative skills. The MBA provides the networking opportunities while the MSF is more of a knowledge gainer. I’ve only passed the first level of the CFA so far (failed level 2), but I found the first couple courses of my MSF to be level 1 and 2 review. However, after that it definitely goes more in-depth than the CFA does. All this being said, depending on the level of job you want, there’s no replacement for an MBA. If you want to reach the top, go for at least a full time MBA. MSF and CFA are just gravy/differentiators. JMO.

I’m also going to go out on a limb and say the more “redneck” you get in this country, the more “valuable” your degree becomes. My wife’s family lives about 3 hours south of Chicago and while I won’t say it’s total “redneck” down there, the level of education is definately a lot less. Not many people with masters or MBA (heck, for some, graduating high school was an acomplishment) so all of a sudden, your 2nd - 3rd tier MSF, MBA might be worth some serious coin. Then again, it’s not Manhattan, and you probably won’t put Goldman on your resume, but it’s not a bad lifestyle.

if you were a female cheerleader, MBA, MSc Finance, CFA, keep trying, you will get something. if you were a male cheerleader, it doesnt matter what you have, you dont deserve anything.

What you get from the program also depends on factors like a) is it full time and b) is it comingled with the MBA classes. The Villanova program and most other quality MSF/MSQF are full time and not comingled. This is important because full time programs are always taught far more intensely than part time. Ask any professor, they can expect more from students because the students’ first priority is the program and they have more time to expend on it. Also, more group work (because of schedule availability of students) allows for deeper assignments. By not being comingled, the MSF program will go MUCH deeper into topics than if it were mingled with MBA students which tend to have more diverse, less quantitative backgrounds. These are key aspects. Also, if you are light on work experience, do the MSF or other technical masters versus the MBA program because a good MBA program will typically expect more work experience. Non-brand name MBA’s wind up being useless.

Looks like Black Swan and I offended the most attractive girl on these forums. But can you blame us? Posting something like that and not expecting to get hazed about it. I guess someone isnt going to make it in the world of dog eat dog with skin that thin.

NFL Cheerleader>CFA Hands down