CFAI reading progress report - everybody's status

I am hoping to finish SS-11 today. With that I have to study SS-12 to SS-18 and Ethics in the remaining part. My goal is to finish SS-12 to SS-18 by third week of April and Start taking practice exam from last week of April. In May - Ethics, CFAI practice exam and review the materials. I am definitely behind everyone here. Wanted to get a reality check - if I am too far behind. How are you guys doing? What’s the plan for remaining 8 weeks or so.

Anybody doing both CFAI and Schweser? If you are, then you are my heroes. I think I am target to finish SS-11 today but I still have to do SS-12 to SS-18 and ethics. Long way to go.

Sounds like you’ll be golden by giving yourself a month of review/exams. That’s my plan too. Just got to keep chugging away, reviewing etc. K

doing problems

I’m on SS 15, reading only CFAI texts, and I skipped Ethics at the beginning. I’m hoping to finish all the readings by the last week in April and then have the rest of the time devoted to review, sample exams, etc.

Finishing SS 5 tonight… Soooooo behind.

I’m about to start SS 16, but I skipped Ethics for the time being. I am going through both CFAI and Schweser, going through each Schweser section and taking notes, then following up each reading by reading the textbooks, to gain further background and to solidify the concepts, only taking notes when I see something I missed in Schweser. I haven’t done any practice problems along the way, so I’m hoping to finish up the reading with 6 weeks left to review everything and do the practice problems.

I will also start reviews, EoC and then exams on last week of April… I feel behind…

pupadawg82: you are far ahead of everybody. Good luck! Hope your progress motivates me! monger187: It must be tough managing both books. I wish I had your capcity Thanks everybody for sharing their progress report. Feels like I am quite behind but got to give a push in last few weeks.

2nd time for me… I’ve worked backward, hitting material where I was esp. weak last year. Only using CFAI. Completely re-read & finished EOC problems for SS 44-47; 36; 28-31; 24; 20; and the new readings, 15-16. The game-plan… hope to accomplish by 4/30 & devote May to practice tests: * Re-read SS 26 & do the EOC problems. * Re-read SS 32 & do the EOC problems. * Re-read SS 39 & do the EOC problems. * Skim SS 14 & the EOC problems (since I did them all last year) * Skim SS 17-19 (no EOC problems) * Skim SS 23 (bunch of BS, quite honestly) * Skim SS 27 (don’t see much tested?) * Skim SS 34-35 (particularly #35, with changes to LOS) * Skim SS 41-3 (did well on derivatives in '09, weirdly) * Leave GIPS/Ethics/Asset Mgr Code to mid-May.

Second time for me and have kicked it into another gear: I am using all Schweser Materials Status: Remaning SS 15-17, finished everything else. Simultaneously starting practice in other areas. I didnt take any practice tests last time and almost passed, so naturally I am going to focus on that. Gameplan from now until May 15th: Review each Reading Summaries, Concept Checkers, Schweser QBank, Schweser Practice Exams Vol.1 & 2, Go to CFAI Textbook problems for trouble areas. Last 2 weeks - comprehensive review. If anyone thinks there are certain practice questions that arent as efficient, please let me know - I don’t want to waste time focusing on problems that wont be of much help to me on test day.

I started with Page 1 of frst book and now I Just started Reading 41 ( I think Options). Its Page 410 in 2nd last book of CFAI. Along the way, I have also completed all the EOC’s I think I am doing good so far? Can someone comment on the above because I am having panic attacks, because if i finish the readings and rest of EOC’s in next 2 weeks, I really dont know what I should do next. I.e My plan was to ONLY do the questions at the end of readings of schweser, but now im thinking I should go back and make summary hand written notes, but am scared this might take to long. AARGGHHH !!

3rdtime, I think you are doing great. I only wish I had the time to go through the textbook readings and All EOC Problems. I am going to cherry pick the EOC problems for my trouble areas. If you are done this early, my suggestion is that you go through as many practice exams as you can until the problems become second nature. Take a breather, you are well ahead of most people at this stage and will do fine. Being calm and confident in the weeks leading up to the exam is half the battle. Good Luck.

3rdtime, I think you are doing great. I only wish I had the time to go through the textbook readings and All EOC Problems. I am going to cherry pick the EOC problems for my trouble areas. If you are done this early, my suggestion is that you go through as many practice exams as you can until the problems become second nature. I am also going through the material a second time and taking typed notes on areas where I have problems - This doesnt take that long. I probably wouldnt summarize everything - just problem areas. Take a breather, you are well ahead of most people at this stage and will do fine. Being calm and confident in the weeks leading up to the exam is half the battle. Good Luck.

Thank you CFA Panda, even though this is my 3rd time, this time HAS to be my last. My future job prospects and promotion literally depend on this exam, as well as moving into my first nw home ( condo) next year and getting married, NO way will I be able to write next year. That is why i guess I have the added panic/anxiety I agree with you with the second nature part, it’s vital to know how to attack a problem inside out with various scenarios. I also agree with just focusing on the notes on problem areas, and maybe just quick typing of formulas-quick pointers on the other topic areas ( kind of like my own quick sheet/secrte sauce) approaching the 8 week mark !! hopefully i finish rest of readings and EOC’s in 2 weeks. leave 3 weeks for the quick note taking and schweser practice questions at end of each reading, then last 3 weeks practice exams + review of key notes. I guess that should be ok??? ( the last week of the 3 weeks is off from work) I am now going to book a 1 week vacation for the week after the exam so I have something to look forward to while crunching !

just finishing up SS14. hope to finish by end of April and spend May reviewing material and doing loads of questions. Considering I took 3weeks off in march due to illness, not doing too bad.

On SS 9 - second time through, reviewing and doing the EOC q’s again. Leaving Ethics and GIPS to end of April - planning for all practise exams and review for May.

GUYS, most important question is not what you have gone through, IT IS what have you kept in your mind. I just found all the things are so so hard to stay in my mind. is it me or level 3?

ndzhai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > GUYS, most important question is not what you have > gone through, IT IS what have you kept in your > mind. I just found all the things are so so hard > to stay in my mind. > > is it me or level 3? That is why questions / notes are the key. I read a study that there is a 70% imprvement in memory retention when something is written versus when something is read

I am using Stalla. Done with SS3~SS16. Starting SS17 tonight. I am hoping to have about 1.5 mo to review (doing CFAI EOC Qs) for the exam. For some reason I just don’t feel confident about L3. So much of this stuff is not sinking in and of course the essay format adds even more uncertainty on the exam day.