Charter Letter Received Today.NYC Area

Got mine today…September 24th…BTW I was an already a member of CFAI since June 2007.

Nice, No letter in CT yet.

Mr. GG…you Stamford Society?

That I am, and you?

yep…cheaper than NYSSA…:slight_smile:

Came home and saw the letter. Nice. Now 6 - 8 weeks to receive the Charter. Does anybody know if I need to renew my NYSSA membership next year. Can one only be a CFAI member and not a member of a local society?

I think you have to be part of a local society, except in China where they don’t allow a local society.

anyone in toronto get their letter yet? i’m anxiously awaiting mine!

Got mine in Ohio

got it in seattle

I am in Toronto, my application is still under review. Even my 48 months work experience got accepted 3 weeks ago.

Got the letter yesterday in NYC.

Anyone in London got it? I am still waiting…

Still waiting in CT

i am waiting as well. dumb question: do we need to keep working in the field to keep the designation? what if i become an engineer or a truck driver. could i still keep the letters?

Got mine on Thursday in San Francisco!

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am waiting as well. > > dumb question: do we need to keep working in the > field to keep the designation? what if i become an > engineer or a truck driver. could i still keep the > letters? Yes, we need to keep working in the field to keep the designation. You can say that you obtained the charter at a historical point in time if you decide to switch careers, but you can not put “, CFA” behind your name when you’re no longer working in the field. Got the letter today in Mid-Town NYC.

Ambiter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i am waiting as well. > > > > dumb question: do we need to keep working in > the > > field to keep the designation? what if i become > an > > engineer or a truck driver. could i still keep > the > > letters? > > > Yes, we need to keep working in the field to keep > the designation. You can say that you obtained > the charter at a historical point in time if you > decide to switch careers, but you can not put “, > CFA” behind your name when you’re no longer > working in the field. > > Got the letter today in Mid-Town NYC. I did not know this, and I’m not sure it’s true. Can you cite where it says this? My understanding was that once we are awarded the charter, all that’s required to use CFA is that we keep to the ethical standards (i.e. don’t get the charter retracted for bad stuff), and pay our dues. When I was doing L2, I ran into a real estate agent that had CFA on her card. I guess selling houses could be marginally related work, but mostly it’s out of the field.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ambiter Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > needhelp Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > i am waiting as well. > > > > > > dumb question: do we need to keep working in > > the > > > field to keep the designation? what if i > become > > an > > > engineer or a truck driver. could i still > keep > > the > > > letters? > > > > > > Yes, we need to keep working in the field to > keep > > the designation. You can say that you obtained > > the charter at a historical point in time if > you > > decide to switch careers, but you can not put > “, > > CFA” behind your name when you’re no longer > > working in the field. > > > > Got the letter today in Mid-Town NYC. > > > I did not know this, and I’m not sure it’s true. > Can you cite where it says this? > > My understanding was that once we are awarded the > charter, all that’s required to use CFA is that we > keep to the ethical standards (i.e. don’t get the > charter retracted for bad stuff), and pay our > dues. > > When I was doing L2, I ran into a real estate > agent that had CFA on her card. I guess selling > houses could be marginally related work, but > mostly it’s out of the field. You’re right, all you need to do is sign the PCS and pay your dues, my mistake. I re-read the PCS, and it doesn’t have any reference to continuing work experience. I was thinking about the James Simpson example within the CFA Standards of Practice Handbook (9th Edition), page 140 - example 3. Apparently you can be a real estate agent and retain the CFA designation. I guess a better characterization would be: You can maintain the CFA designation as long as you file your PCS annually and possess enough disposable income to pay annual dues at the CFAI and the local society. Are anybody aware of instances were a CFA charterholder becomes too poor to afford the annual fees (i.e. what if I do investment advisory work in Zimbabwe or on a pro bono basis), are there “CFA annual due” scholarships? Also, anybody know what that number represents in the upper right hand corner of the letter?

GOT IT!!!