Cheating

I used to solve other guys’ tests in college for a fee and then spend my proceedings in booze that night. Good times.

“If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying. And it’s not cheating unless you get caught”. - Jim Rome

Jim Rome stole that line from LaDainian Tomlinson…except that he changed it to proper grammar

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When I was at Harvard I smoked weed every day, I > cheated every test and snorted all the yay. > > It ain’t called cheatin’ if you don’t get caught. Really? Everybody I meet from Harvard seem so straight-edge, the non-cheating type.

I didn’t cheat often, but when I did, I made sure it was as low risk as possible. I liked my coursework during college, tried my hardest in most situations, but I had my pride to protect. Wasn’t going to let some slacker get ahead of me just because I had a single bad day. That being said, I had little to no respect for those that made it obvious they were cheating, whether they were caught or not. I just imagine that those types would be huge liabilities to work with in the future. That being said, I also got a pet peeve with those that make a habit of copying homework…

Thats the beauty of the CFA, impossible to cheat…that is unless you hide notes in your pockets and go to the bathroom.

I had one graduate level exam that was rather memorable. the exam was take home and we were given 1 week to submit it. he said there was no possible way 2 students could arrive at the same exact answer and if he suspected that 2 students collorbated, he’d fail both. if you think about it, the answers are like a finger print.

I will say that my grad school experience was that the chinese students were most likely to collorborate … the ones i came across were the worst in group projects as well. granted, the ones i knew in grad school are not indicitive of the entire chinese population. i work with a bunch of them today and they are flat out some of the brightest people i’ve come across.

Ti-83 + Data link + Keyboard = ill never tell

^CP: yes they are, very indicative of the Chinese PhD population…ohh do I have some stories!!

Can’t remember that I have ever cheated. Not sure if that was smart, since I always wondered how I could teach others on exam prep and still get lower grades. I took some enjoyment at grad school in busting filthy cheaters. I developed some skills in spotting cheaters. Women still seem to think they will not get checked. I’d guess that about 2-5% of exam takers at school cheated or tried to cheat.

i just graduated from business school, the chinese students were notorious for cheating. they just come to america for letters, and go back home.

I was on the honor court of one of the military schools in the US. We kicked out a handful of people every year for cheating, plagiarism, and an array of other things.

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i just graduated from business school, the chinese > students were notorious for cheating. > they just come to america for letters, and go back > home. I had similar observations of students of certain nationalities… My university attributed this to “different cultural standards concerning cheating and plagiarism” in these countries.

The schools want a +1 in diversity so they’re willing to look the other way for these Chinese cheaters.

When I was preparing for my qualifier exam in grad school we had no reference for past exams or any idea how the test would look like. Except for the Chinese off-course. These guys had copies of all the past exam for the last 20 years or so. They refused to share what they had with anyone, they would talk only Chinese if we approach them and on test day they still needed to cheat to pass. The test was a two days affair. We show up at 8:00 a.m at the department head’s office, take our envelope and we were supposed to go work on the test anywhere and return the envelope with our answers at 12:00 noon. Same thing the next day. Anyone scoring less than 70% would lose his scholarship, and anyone failing the test would have to wait one year to re-take the test one last time. We had to sign a document that we are not going to discuss the questions, cheat, bla bla … First thing these guys did was to make a copy of the problems for future Chinese students. Then they would get together in one of their offices and work on the test. Everybody knew they cheated but we couldn’t do anything about it.

^I saw that too. I talked to a few Chinese friends who did similar things throughout business school, and the worst part is that they didn’t consider that a wrong practice. It was more like, “I’m just helping the guys after me”.

^mo: Ahahahaha you just described my entire grad experience!!! So funny! Not only did they have all the qualifying exams for the last 20 years they also had the past exams for every single class that they took! It was fing ridiculous!

Maybe thats why corruption in China is so widespread and not really looked down upon?

It’s interesting. On the one hand, it comes across to us as corrupt, because examinations are supposed to test your abilities, not your abilities to find the answer before the question is asked. On the other hand, there is this collective ethic of reciprocity between generations. A fully corrupt approach is to get what you can for yourself and give nothing back. That’s not what’s happening here. Personally, I find it distasteful and it is infuriating for those of us who may be passed over because we score lower on the exams than they do, but it seems that there is still some kind of honor among thieves. The Chinese have had examination systems for public services dating back over 1000 years. In the west, we’ve had this kind of thing for somewhere between 100-250 years. Perhaps having exams for important positions for over a millennium has itself generated an ethical system where learning how to manipulate and cheat is simply considered part of the accepted process and doesn’t come across as distasteful to them. On the other hand, if you are corrupt and cheat the Party out of tax revenues, they do put a bullet in your head. So it’s not quite a free-for-all.