Cheating

I wonder what type of dirty stories CFAI has behind closed doors about alledged cheating going on in China. On one hand China represents their largest market, but also has chock full of cheaters. I simply can’t buy the “we have no cheaters in China” line they would feed me. It happens, I’ll buy that, now tell me how you are fighting it. I would not be surprised to hear that very high level employees of CFAI in Asia Pacific were investigated due to breaching exam security. I am willing to bet one of the reasons CFAI went to books + exam fee combined was because the Chinese (and ok, Indian) candidates would register for the exam and NEVER buy one book. Well, one person would buy the book and everybody and their mother would have a copy of said book. They easily saw the number of candidates in China/India and how many books were sold via PBD. The writing was on the wall to go to this format.

Problem is, there are a lot of really really bright Chinese people out there. Then there are the cheaters. It’s hard to distinguish between the two when the vast majority of them are cheaters.

There are really bright people who are shameless cheaters too. Not only Chinese.

I don’t think CFAI made a lot of (or any) money on the books before they started incorporating them in the exam fees, so I don’t buy that as the explanation for including them. I would think a sensible approach for CFAI from a financial perspective would be to levy a fine (or increase the membership fee) for cheaters, and have it on record for anyone who wants to look up their ethics track record in CFAI’s database. That way CFAI continues to get cashflow from them (which they don’t get if a member is disbarred), and yet anyone who wants to check up on them can do so.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think CFAI made a lot of (or any) money on > the books before they started incorporating them > in the exam fees, so I don’t buy that as the > explanation for including them. The tilt over the last couple of years was self publishing by CFAI. They completed that by including the books in the exam fees. Might be a reason they included the fees. They didn’t want candidates ripping them off by copying their books. > > I would think a sensible approach for CFAI from a > financial perspective would be to levy a fine (or > increase the membership fee) for cheaters, and > have it on record for anyone who wants to look up > their ethics track record in CFAI’s database. > That way CFAI continues to get cashflow from them > (which they don’t get if a member is disbarred), > and yet anyone who wants to check up on them can > do so. CFAI is a voluntary organization as far as I know. If I am a known cheater and my record has a mark on it, why should I bother to continue to pay dues to the organization and have them tell my potential clients that I am a cheater?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think CFAI made a lot of (or any) money on > the books before they started incorporating them > in the exam fees, so I don’t buy that as the > explanation for including them. The tilt over the last couple of years was self publishing by CFAI. They completed that by including the books in the exam fees. Might be a reason they included the fees. They didn’t want candidates ripping them off by copying their books. > > I would think a sensible approach for CFAI from a > financial perspective would be to levy a fine (or > increase the membership fee) for cheaters, and > have it on record for anyone who wants to look up > their ethics track record in CFAI’s database. > That way CFAI continues to get cashflow from them > (which they don’t get if a member is disbarred), > and yet anyone who wants to check up on them can > do so. CFAI is a voluntary organization as far as I know. If I am a known cheater and my record has a mark on it, why should I bother to continue to pay dues to the organization and have them tell my potential clients that I am a cheater?

CPierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t think CFAI made a lot of (or any) money > on > > the books before they started incorporating > them > > in the exam fees, so I don’t buy that as the > > explanation for including them. > > The tilt over the last couple of years was self > publishing by CFAI. They completed that by > including the books in the exam fees. Might be a > reason they included the fees. They didn’t want > candidates ripping them off by copying their > books. > I agree that CFAI discovered that providing the book material is a revenue stream that they can tap, and once they did this, I think they decided that they could use their market power to include them with the fee. I just think that the issue you bring up about people buying one copy and xeroxing it to bits was an intermediate issue, not the primary cause. > > > > I would think a sensible approach for CFAI from > a > > financial perspective would be to levy a fine > (or > > increase the membership fee) for cheaters, and > > have it on record for anyone who wants to look > up > > their ethics track record in CFAI’s database. > > That way CFAI continues to get cashflow from > them > > (which they don’t get if a member is > disbarred), > > and yet anyone who wants to check up on them > can > > do so. > > CFAI is a voluntary organization as far as I know. > If I am a known cheater and my record has a mark > on it, why should I bother to continue to pay dues > to the organization and have them tell my > potential clients that I am a cheater? You can still have CFA on your business card, and plenty of people won’t check. The CFA’s alternative is to strip them of their charter, not collect $225 per year, and the person will probably continue to put CFA on their business card anyway, except that anyone who checks will find that they’re not in the database, which is pretty much as bad (or worse) than being in the database but saying that they were caught cheating. It’s a minor point, I guess.

Trust me, if I’m a known cheater, the last thing I want is a potential client finding out.

Someone who sat behind me during a statistics 1 final was caught cheating off of me (I didnt know the person) and the professor gave us both D’s (bummer). This will be interesting MBA interview talk as I have to explain why I got A’s in Econometrics and Advanced Statistics and 4 semesters of calculus and a D in stat 1…

Uh, you didn’t fight the D? If I was the victim of the cheating, I’d be pretty pissed to find out that somebody cheated off me AND I get a D.

CPierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Uh, you didn’t fight the D? If I was the victim > of the cheating, I’d be pretty pissed to find out > that somebody cheated off me AND I get a D. Agreed. Why did you laydown when you were innocent?

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CPierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Uh, you didn’t fight the D? If I was the > victim > > of the cheating, I’d be pretty pissed to find > out > > that somebody cheated off me AND I get a D. > > > Agreed. Why did you laydown when you were > innocent? Because I was young, foolish and apathetic…we all make mistakes in life and I was also kind of afraid…I thought I was getting off easy and didnt want to get kicked out of school