Christmas Reading List

I plan on picking up some books with my Christmas cash that include Too Big to Fail and Superfreakonomics. I am into books about economics and finanical markets. Any recommendations fellow AFers?

CFA books are on my list

Too Big to Fail -Sorkin Investment Biker Adventure Capitalist Already Read: The Lost Symbol

Predictably Irrational- Dan Ariely

Damn it feels good to be a banker and other baller things you get to say when you work on Wall Street

1morelevel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Damn it feels good to be a banker and other baller > things you get to say when you work on Wall Street Nuppal has a good list. Damn, banker, baller… is a funny read. Well worth the $5 amazon buy. I also picked up Conspiracy of Fools. Steven Frey writes fictional finance books. I have his new one on reserve at the library, all his old books are great too.

oh Conspiracy of Fools was excellent and I second the vote for Steven Frey. I think I’ve read most of the old ones.

Michael Lewis has a new book coming out. The Big Short. It won’t be out in time for Christmas, but it looks very interesting. His non-financial books are worth reading too. Even though they arn’t directly about finance there is still some interesting stuff in there on markets and value. Moneyball and The Blind Side both apply some economic analysis to sports in a really unique way. I bet finance people get more out of those books than other people do since you will be able to see the correlation with financial markets and economics.

Moneyball is alright. Quick read. From a friend in the front office of a MLB team however, the implication that the A’s were the only team using sabermetrics for decision making is pretty far off. All teams have been doing if for a long time, they just rely on it to differing degrees.

The Opposable Mind - Roger Martin. It’s a quick read.

I just cranked out “Who Moved My Cheese.” It was a nice hour read. I’d recommend it.

Yeah, Superfreakonomics would be on my list if I read. Those guys came and gave a talk and distributed copies to all of our employees, they were pretty funny. I guess they interviewed a bunch of our people as research in writing the book.

The Ascent of Money

1morelevel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Moneyball is alright. Quick read. > > From a friend in the front office of a MLB team > however, the implication that the A’s were the > only team using sabermetrics for decision making > is pretty far off. All teams have been doing if > for a long time, they just rely on it to differing > degrees. I have a lot of friends that work in MLB too…I’m a huge red sox fan…i’ve met all of the players, some of the higher ups…I’ll have to add this to the list can’t believe I never got around to it

The Four-hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

predictable irrational is OK. the title is cooler than the book though IMO. I got to finish up freakanomics for enjoyment and “Expectations Investing” for my analyst gig

predictable irrational is OK. the title is cooler than the book though IMO. I got to finish up freakanomics for enjoyment and “Expectations Investing” for my analyst gig

I’ll be going for superfreakonomics as well, might re-read barbarians at the gate. Actually I have a good few books to get started on! Also conspiracy of fools is brilliant! Another good one I read a while back was rigged.

What the Dog Saw.

not gonna lie…read the blind side…you deserve it