Clip on ties? is it ever appropriate?

I doubt I’ll need a tie for work any time soon, but I do like to dress up for special occasions!! :necktie:

I wouldn’t keep the knots tied, but they’re your ties, so it’s your call.

However, if I were going to keep them tied, I’d keep them tied loosely. That way you shouldn’t have to worry about any fraying of the silk in the knot. You can tighten a knot when you wear the tie, and then loosen it once you’re done wearing it on a given occasion.

I hope these comments are helpful.

Clip ons are great if you want to look like a tool. Another advantage is that you’ll never get laid wearing one.

1 Like

The only color of shoes that’s even close to ‘brown’ that is O.K. to wear in a professional environment is ‘cordovan’. That’s a a reddish-brown color that looks terrific. . .so long as the rest of what a professional is wearing gets it right.

To anyone who is unsure about what constitutes ‘getting it right’ where a professional wardrobe is concerned, I strongly recommend a book entitled ‘Dress for Success [DfS]’ by John T. Molloy. His book was based on voluminous research that he conducted. Despite the fact that DfS was published in 1976, it is every bit as essential reading for today’s business professionals as it was in the mid-1970s. That is because anyone who really understands what to wear and what not to wear in a professional setting has a sky-high probability of making a lot more money than those who don’t. And THAT is because a big part of being successful is looking successful. Where men’s attire in a professional environment is concerned, nothing has changed in the 46 years since the book was first published.

I can’t recommend this book highly enough. For any business professional who doesn’t know why, for instance, not to wear the wrong pattern of tie on the wrong pattern of shirt, Molloy’s book is must-reading.

I’m relieved the new post isn’t about Nehru jackets and platform shoes!!!