Colognes

I have a pretty extensive cologne collection and like to add to it pretty regularly. Wondering what you guys wear regularly or are into fragrances?

A few months ago I joined the fragrance splitting community on reddit and it has been awesome to be able to get smaller sizes of some niche fragrances to try for a while before splurging on a bottle.

Unless you’re black or gay, stay away from cologne.

I’m not a chick and therefore not into fragrances. My wife, on the other hand…

During a ride from JFK a couple of weeks ago, a cab driver asked me if I liked his cologne. Who the hell does this?

I am struggling to digest what I just read.

Brazilian women like their men to smell nice, so I have been trained to use colognes. I used to use whatever my girlfriends gave to me, figuring if they like it it must be good. I mostly stopped when I was with the Russians (other than special occasions), but then started up again when I went back to Brazilians.

Then somehow I got into the whole double-edged shaving thing and that got me into experimenting with aftershaves and colognes on my own. I never really understood the difference between an aftershave and a cologne until then.

Also, because I dance a lot and often dance close, I figure it’s good to smell nice when you’re in close contact with women like that, so I use it more these days. I like when a woman has a nice scent, so figure I should do my part on my end.

I now have a disturbingly large number of bottles and fragrances that I’ve tested out. I like some more than others of course, and it’s nice to rotate them as the seasons change as well.

The trick, of course, is not to use too much. I read somewhere that a scent should leave a memory, not announce your arrival. That sounds like the right attitude.

Agreed bchad, the worst thing ever is when you are stuck in the elevator with someone and it feelsl ike you are walking through a macy’s.

As for the rest of you, I don’t know what to say. I can only imagine you smell terrible.

But what happens when all that dancing shakes a fart loose?

I smell like shame.

Cigarettes and whiskey usually do the trick.

For what it’s worth…

I have four different colognes in my toolbox. All four were given to me by girlfriends/wives, and I only wear them when I feel like I’m going to get some “benefit” out of the deal.

They are (in order of when they were given to me): Dolce & Gabbana (regular), Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Bora Bora, and Victoria Secret Very Sexy For Him.

(Come to think of it, since the wife prefers the VS, I ought to just throw the others out. Oh well.)

My thoughts exactly.

jimmy choo man

As bchad has already commented on this thread, I am surprised that there has been no mention of the genetic importance of scent preference. If you like a certain scent, chances are that your wife, significant other, or potential mates will not like this scent. We evolve this way to increase the likelihood of being matched with individuals who are genetically different from ourselves, thus increasing resistance to various diseases and reducing the expression of recessive genes.

You can find “Major histocompatibility complex” on Wikipedia. I would paste a link, if I could…

^ I did some Googling and activated Compatibility View for AF and am able to paste again. It messes up how some things look, but worth the trade off.

I stick to stripper sweat and glitter (little inside joke for a few of you).

I had a bottle of polo that i used for years but recently my girl got me a bottlle of tom ford which does the trick.

polo blue, polo black, lacoste essential, aqua digio, chanel allure, burberry london

Its usually important to be cognizant of what you wore the first time with a chick or on a date as you normally should stick to the same scent for the same chick. Never go too heavy on cologne.

YES

No love for Cool Water?

Brian Fantana: [about Veronica] I’ll give this little cookie an hour before we’re doing the no-pants dance. Time to musk up.

[opens cologne cabinet]

Ron Burgundy: Wow. Never ceases to amaze me. What cologne you gonna go with? London Gentleman, or wait. No, no, no. Hold on. Blackbeard’s Delight.

Brian Fantana: No, she gets a special cologne… It’s called Sex Panther by Odeon. It’s illegal in nine countries… Yep, it’s made with bits of real panther, so you know it’s good.

Ron Burgundy: It’s quite pungent.

Brian Fantana: Oh yeah.

Ron Burgundy: It’s a formidable scent… It stings the nostrils. In a good way.

Brian Fantana: Yep.

Ron Burgundy: Brian, I’m gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.

Brian Fantana: They’ve done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

[cheesy grin]

Ron Burgundy: That doesn’t make sense.

Brian Fantana: Well… Let’s go see if we can make this little kitty purr.

[snarls]