Confidence Completely Destroyed

Just did the CFAI mock (afternoon item sets) exam that I downloaded from the CFAI website. I scored a 61.7%… my confidence is now pretty much destroyed and I am shaking. Where would you go from here if you were in my position? I am considering not even showing up for the exam on Saturday. From what I have read here most of the forum posters considered this mock a complete joke and scored extremely high (>80 to 85%). I am more discouraged and low now than I have ever been by anything academic in my life.

raw score of 61.7% would probably be in the upper 50%, and you have three more days of studying…

Get yourself together man and use these last few days to sharpen your skills. 80%+ is absurd and isn’t your bogey. 65-70 will do.

definitely don’t not show up (make sense?) remember half of people will pass and most of the people on here are the ones that are type a perfectionists that shake out of nervousness when they get under 90% (okay so i’m exaggerating a bit.) for me, it helps to look at the scores people got from last year’s exam…i can’t believe some of the scores are so low and they still passed. helps me anyways, gives me hope.

taketwo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > raw score of 61.7% would probably be in the upper > 50%, and you have three more days of studying… I just went through the thread where people posted there results and it seems that it would be one of the lowest, if not the lowest, score.

ps i think i also got 62 on the mock

leafs, don’t talk crazy. you’re right there. scores above 80 on this thing are NOT NORMAL… make a few adjustments, and you will be fine… i hear you, man. i’m more stressed this year than i usually am in the last week. and that’s saying a lot, because i’m a neurotic freak…

-people are more likely to post a score if it’s high, so the sample is not remotely representative of the actual pool of test writers -people who post on AF as a whole are probably much more prepared than the general pool of test takers

There have been a fair amount of scores above 80 on the samples and some consider them to be “a joke”, but not the mock. The mock was pretty damn tough.

I need you to pick yourself up, get motivated and keep plugging away at this thing and not let some bull sh*t computer mock get you down. Get you a** in gear!!!

Don’t worry about your score, look at what you did wrong. Was it something simple that is easy to remember, or is it a complete topic you need to learn. A score is just how well you knew the stuff on THAT exam, it’s not like you don’t have a crapload of this stuff up in your brain already. What I like to do is go over all the easy topics, the ones that I look at and likely think RTFQ! Then there are others that i need to sit down and really learn over then next hour or so. Just go one by one. There is still time, just keep moving forward.

^ completely agree…its a study tool, and now you know where to focus for the next couple days. I’d slap you if I could and you thought it would help…so will just say get your shiz together! and the leafs definitely do not rule…that may be your underlying problem there. type 1 error…reject null that the leafs have no skill. edit, I evidently still can’t get type 1 errors straight

leafsrule Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > From what I have read here most of the forum > posters considered this mock a complete joke and > scored extremely high (>80 to 85%). > > I am more discouraged and low now than I have ever > been by anything academic in my life. Pull it together! First of all, the mock was hard and not considered a joke (you might be thinking of a sample exam – I don’t know – but definitely not that free mock. That was hard. I scored 8% higher than you, which is not a huge difference. Review the areas you got wrong. Do you have time off work? If you have these next few days off, then that is a LOT OF TIME. Don’t underestimate how much time that really is. Review some of the weaker areas in some detail. Take a sample exam everyday, starting tomorrow AM if you can, from now until the test day. Your scores will get better and so will your confidence.

Take the night off to clear your mind and then get back on track early tomorrow AM. Your “low” score is simply a point estimate, you would need to do many more exams to get a better assessment. Besides there’s always an element of luck, both in the mock/sample exams, and also on Saturday. Also remember, a low PM score can be saved by a high AM score.

Get yourself together man! You still have some days. Don’t go to work (if you were planning on it), and just go pound it out until Friday afternoon. Just cram as much of this sh!t into your head as possible and go for it. You can do it!

Dude, I scored in the lower 50s on the schweser/CFAI sample exams for the 1st level. Honestly, in the first 2 levels I never passed an exam except of the real one! In my opinion-even if I think I am alone on this- the samples and mock exams are more difficult than the real one. lower 60 is a good basis for a pass. I giva you at least 70% passing chance. Concentrate on the concepts! You got still enough time to read the secret sauce 2 times and write down all formulas from the study notes 2 times. this will get you the 2 correct marks you need to pass! And Thanks for outing yourself as “scored below 80”. I feel very good prepared but these 80s make me scared!

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get yourself together man! You still have some > days. Don’t go to work (if you were planning on > it), and just go pound it out until Friday > afternoon. Just cram as much of this sh!t into > your head as possible and go for it. You can do > it! Ditto. As far as your confidence, right now it sounds to me like you have to fake it. Look to see where you have had success before, heck look at your lever 2 passing score and recall how great it felt. If you can get past L2, then you are just as capable to pass this thing.

Hang in there leaf. You really only need a few more basis points to have a really good chance at passing. Make sure you don’t make silly mistakes on the stuff you know cold (i.e. 0.25 duration for cash when given) and concentrate on picking up a few points somewhere else. There’s still time to find those points. You’lll probably do better than a lot of the folks posting big scores because you’ll be really focused the next few days. I picked up 5-6% in the last couple of days just by focusing on GIPS, which is guaranteed to be on there.

Leafsrule, judging by your nickname, you’re not quick to throw in the towel or give up. I’d be showing up for the exam for sure. I wouldnt want to be the guy that didnt go to write the exam in 2006 when the pass rate was 76% and realizing that you’ve just committed yourself to another year of studying only to write an exam where the pass rate was closer to 50%.

leafsrule Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just did the CFAI mock (afternoon item sets) exam > that I downloaded from the CFAI website. > > I scored a 61.7%… my confidence is now pretty > much destroyed and I am shaking. Where would you > go from here if you were in my position? I am > considering not even showing up for the exam on > Saturday. > > From what I have read here most of the forum > posters considered this mock a complete joke and > scored extremely high (>80 to 85%). > > I am more discouraged and low now than I have ever > been by anything academic in my life. Last year I took a free sample exam and got 62%. After reviewing the material I was very comfortable going to the exam. You don’t need to compare yourself to anybody on AF, you need to focus on preparing yourself for the exam and doing your best. You will do well on Saturday!