Copyrighted material

Hmmm… I guess that means no posting Schweser, et. al. questions. We need some guidance on this - how much do you have to change them for it to be OK?

We are just sharing. What’s wrong with showing someone a page from a book you own?

Is it not more aimed at the sharing of copyrighted material, such as PDF’s of textbooks, Schweser books etc? If I say ‘please help me with this question’: blah blah blah a) blah b) blah c) blah d) blah Who is to say where it came from? Perhaps I made it up? Id be surprised if someone checked every Q like that to make sure it wasn’t written down somewhere already. Very surprised. Ps. the answer was C in case you were wondering :slight_smile:

Isn’t there something called “fair use” in copyright law?

i think you have to change every fifth word

Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair: the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; the nature of the copyrighted work; amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html We are using a minute amount of material for nonprofit educational purposes. Therefore, pasting questions appears to be fair use. The big question I have is what prompted this? Surely pasting links for counterfeit study material violates the intellectual property rights, but asking for help on a specific question? Where does it end? Will we be able to talk about anything without specifically citing the CFAI Text it originated from? Or rather, the original auther the CFAI obtained it from?

Technically, you have to change the 3rd letter of every 17th word.

The problem is that KJH’s standards are the standard for Chad winning a lawsuit or something. That’s not a standard that I’ll bet Chad wants applied.

It the posting of pdfs of the study notes that is the problem. I’m fairly sure that if Schweser had a problem with people asking for help on QBank questions, Chad would have received a cease and desist long ago. The fair use argument is also errm… fair. People are evangelical enough about Schweser (esp QBank) on here that Schweser would be nuts to try and stop people asking for help with Qs on here.

Level 2 Forum had a inside joke with a thread saying, “Hey Dinish, thanks for the Mock CFAI Exam screenshots!” That thread has since been deleted and is most likely what started the copyright enforcement.

This is a mildly legal thread and it’s been going on for 10 posts so let’s go ahead and turn it into a LAWYERS SUCK thing now.

To Virgin, A mother and her young son walking through a cemetery passed by a headstone inscribed: “Here lies a lawyer and an honest man.” The little boy read the headstone, looked up at his mother, and asked: “Mommy, why did they bury two men there?”

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It the posting of pdfs of the study notes that is > the problem. I’m fairly sure that if Schweser had > a problem with people asking for help on QBank > questions, Chad would have received a cease and > desist long ago. > > The fair use argument is also errm… fair. > > People are evangelical enough about Schweser (esp > QBank) on here that Schweser would be nuts to try > and stop people asking for help with Qs on here. I completely agree with that - someone shows up on AF and the first thing that they get told to do is send >$500 to Schweser.

I forked over $350 for access to the Qbank thanks to everyone posting their sample questions.

If there weren’t so many errors and typos with their materials, then perhaps people wouldn’t have as much trouble!

I’m having trouble with a math problem in a math text that I’m using. If I post the problem asking for help, would Pearson Prentice Hall come after me?

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 2 Forum had a inside joke with a thread > saying, “Hey Dinish, thanks for the Mock CFAI Exam > screenshots!” > > That thread has since been deleted and is most > likely what started the copyright enforcement. Have to agree to this. It was a prank played on me by my friends and probably Chad too it seriously.

bump… so do we know if a simple Qbank question is ok? Where is the proverbial line in the sand?

I think Chad needs to come up with a fair use policy that he can live with. It seems pretty clear to me that posting a single QBank question is fair use and AF discussing QBank is exactly what Schweser most wants. Frankly, it was probably CFAI complaining about something because CFAI doesn’t believe in things like a mountain of precedent determining what fair use means. Instead they have their own ethical code so they can declare anything they want as unethical.