Covid-19

@calvol, last exam I sat 1 foot away from someone who was sneezing/coughing the entire time, can’t imagine doing that again in this situation.

2 Likes

wondering is it possible to just email the institute and ask ? although they probably wont Answer it directly, at least push them to discuss this issue and give an update earlier.

:rofl: this is hilarious

I wonder if the CFA will have an issue with everyone rocking up in hazmat suits :thinking:

1 Like

Pretty sure the proctors will be in those suits.

2 Likes

From Prof. Mark Meldrum: My take on COVID 19 and the CFA exams.

https://youtu.be/bPLklBgxwR0

CFA update:
*With respect to the June administration of the CFA Program exams, to date, we have not announced any change in plans. *

We encourage June 2020 candidates to continue studying and check their email for updates; we will also communicate through social media. We will ensure that our partners, such as approved prep providers and local societies, are notified of any decisions as well.

Our goal is to ensure a fair and equitable exam administration for all candidates at every level and every locale. At this time, we do not have an exact date by which we will announce if there will be changes to the June administration. This is an evolving situation, and we are consulting with local, regional and global health advisors, governments, and employers to ensure we are considering global variances in the severity of and response to COVID-19. We request your patience as we diligently review information and will make decisions as quickly as possible.

But, realistically speaking, are they still going to keep the exam, just as originally planned?
Pretty hard to believe… peak will be reached in April in Europe. Leaving us practically one month (May) to “tidy everything up”…

They will probably have a decision by end of April/early May. But just continue to prepare as usual.

I’ve always gone to the SF venue and every year they pack THOUSANDS of kids in there for all three levels. Realistically, it would be a huge liability to CFAI. In the US at least peak is est to be May/June. I’m continuing to study as is because lets be real… i’m not trying to torture myself for another year but we will see.

1 Like

“TORONTO – Ontario’s chief medical officer of health is recommending the immediate suspension of all large events and public gatherings of over 250 people due to COVID-19.”

Just wanna share some personal experience about what I had encountered when I was sitting for the CPA Canada Common Final Exam (CFE) last year. The exam was three-day long (13 hours in total) Three days before the exam, my city was hit by hurricane dorian and I lost power for the next couple of days. At the dates of the exam, we had encountered huge technical difficulty which almost blocked us from taking the exam entirely. But I did take the exam and pass eventually. What I’m trying to say is to encourage people to hang on with the study schedule. Uncertainty is all around and can change things, but what doesn’t change is the study pattern and dedication to pass the CFA exam. Good luck!

3 Likes

For how long?

Really? :frowning: peak is expected there for May/June?

I believe since a lot of people started stocking up and stay at their homes, the spread will slow down and eventually be under control. Well, I’m optimist so…

1 Like

a lot has changed the past few days…at this point gatherings of more than 500 people are flat out prohibited in places like New York, Chicago, etc and much of Europe seems to be in pretty dire straits. it is almost impossible to imagine how this could move forward

There is a fair amount of disruption going on with conferences and work from home scenarios, let alone market disruptions adding to frenetic work-life balance. If schools and most public places are closed in order to “flatten the curve,” it seems irresponsible and not in the best interest of candidates (on a number of fronts) for the institute to not take specific action towards cancellations or postponements.

I think they are waiting to see how it goes with the virus. Because there is still approximately 2.5 months, they hope it will decrease, and they can organize the exam.

But as I see it is spreading more every day, and even if it will be reduced by June, it will not be gone completely, and organizing such big events in big cities will be very dangerous. And to organize it in one country, and not in another will not make sense, because of ethical issues. Some candidates might be able to get questions information from those who already took the exam.

Long story short, I think it will be postponed, but it is difficult to say for how long. Couple of months? To December? Or to the next year? Let’s study anyways, we will have more time to prepare better if there’s anything.

I hear you. Thank you for your response. This is not typical challenge of finding time to study…Its these few months before the exam -when people are trying to prepare-they are working under an additional burden.

1 Like

“We regret to inform you that…you’ve been EXPOSED to coronavirus!!!”, in all seriousness though, there’s no way the exams will be given in June. Maybe in December (most likely I think) or deferred to next year.

1 Like