Covid-19

Where do you get this information? Secondly exam is not going to get postponed that’s for sure. They might give option to candidates to give exam either this June or latter in year.

Are you living under a rock? The CDC just put out a statement saying to cancel all gatherings of more than 50 people for the next 8 weeks. That’s absolute best case scenario so there’s no way they give it in June.

It will be December at very best but go ahead and waste multiple hours everyday studying until they announce it, I’m not that’s for sure

1 Like

Sadly, I agree I don’t think June 6th is possible. They need to just move it to December if that is even possible. I live in a major city in USA here and the local city government has said no gatherings over 250 people for the next 8 weeks which would put us May 15th, but given what other countries are doing they really need to just go ahead and make a statement regarding their decision. If they don’t cancel by April 1st I am showing up in a hazmat suit and writing the exam.

I’m not sure how a postponement will be feasible given they have to rebook venues that all have to be conveniently avail on the same date. Not sure of the Dec L1 venues are large enough to hold all candidates? I just hope they don’t wait until the last minute to tell us it would be a huge f*ck you especially to the L3 candidates.

But not all examination centre will be cancelled at least outside USA.

When I took L1 a few years ago, it was held in the same convention center as L2 the following year. There’s room I’d say to shift L2 and L3 candidates to December venues (based on my experience anyway)

2 Likes

I find it incredibly difficult to focus on the exam/studying, given the onslaught of Covid-19 related news, and the crash in the markets.

2 Likes

yeah, I think in major cities they use the same venues for December/june, so its a matter of getting enough space for everything in December. I am sure it takes work but it is what it is. would anyone in chicago/new York feel confident they can sit for this in early june? governments in those places have locked everything down indefinitely, and that is setting aside what is going on elsewhere and in europe

I see a scenario where they cancel Level 1, as its offered in Dec,which will allow more testing space for Level II and III candidates and provide a “safe” distance between each test taker.

Its still 2.5 months away and things are changing daily, but I’d continue to study as planned. Studying for the CFA requires social distancing to begin with, now we have an excuse to do it!

1 Like

CDC is recommending avoiding gatherings of more then 10 people what are you talking about?

I totally agree. Work is at a frenetic pace given the volatility in the markets. There are concerns re upcoming layoffs, care for elderly parents during this time, etc…rebooking travel. Roughly 39 states have declared a state of emergency (it may be higher now), number of school closings continues to increase…and this organization can’t provide test-takers visibility to a new test date? It’s unacceptable.

I’m taking the Kaplan Schweser online class and the instructor emailed us on March 13th saying there has been no change in exam dates so far and to keep studying as is. I reallyy hope they don’t cancel!

1 Like

at least here in Abu Dhabi, the government have canceled all events until 30th May; I guess if things did not improve, i expect an extension.
given the exam is only 2-3 days after the threshold

At this point I’m surprised no guidance has been given. I’d be in utter shock if they haven’t decided on their plan already. This isn’t something that can, or should, be canceled last minute. I understand that this is probably a logistical nightmare for them, but to not release something formally is surprising. I just don’t see how it can stay on for June.

If I had to guess, I’d say we’re not taking the exam this June. I see it being canceled or postponed to December 2020.

Reasons why:
• There are multiple views on how the coronavirus is expected to disturb our lives. However, many estimations seem to indicate that the virus will peak in 6 weeks (end of April / beginning of May) in Europe, and in 8-10 weeks in the UK and the US (mid May / end of May). How sensible would it be to go ahead with an event in which people in the hundreds will gather right after the number of cases peaks?
• Containment stage is supposed to be implemented for as long as 3 months in order for it to be effective. This will create a lot of disturbance in our lives. WFH, little or no social life, mental health issues potentially? We might still be in containment in early June depending on evolution of cases
• The spread of the virus is meant to come with a second wave at some point in the next 6 to 12 months. 30%-60% of the population is expected to be exposed to the virus at some point. Whether in a first or second wave
• The seasonality of the virus is not clear. Summer might or might not contribute to slow things down
• If the virus starts spreading across the Southern Hemisphere from April (like seasonal flu), does that mean that cases will start growing exponentially around the date of the exam in those geographies? If that’s the case, how is CFAI going to cope with this? Selectively canceling the exam in certain venues (cities or countries)? How unfair and disruptive would that be?

Unfortunately, and as I said before, I don’t think we’ll be able to take the exam this year. CFAI must be balancing the consequences of such potential decision and working on a robust contingency plan before releasing an official communication. Let’s just hope CFAI will let us know sooner rather than later.

That said, I would encourage everyone to study since the exam, as far as we know, is still happening on June 6th.

Lots of support and good vibes in these strange days.

1 Like

here’s my 2 cents - what if the virus comes back in winter like SARS? if they postpone it will still be held in summer (at least for the north hemisphere)

CFAI has met its death-match by giving the L2/3 exam 1x/yr in paper format. CFAI is not going to get around state-imposed crowd limits on venues even if they want to try social distancing. CPA canceled their May testing window, and that’s done in Prometric facilities with small rooms of 10-20 people. There’s no chance CFA exam happens in June even if CFAI wants to.

Can’t wait for them to push the date up to May 7th.

This actually made me chuckle

1 Like

Yes, China and Asia are seeing second wave of virus outbreaks. So more likely than not. So postponing it might not be a solution either.