Coworker studies during work

Is it just me who finds coworker using work hours to study for the exam, while there’s plenty of work to do, annoying? Sorry for the rant. :wink:

It’s only annoying once you finish the exams. It was not annoying when I was doing the same years ago.

I feel if it’s time he or anyone is entitled to use any way they want, then they can. Wouldn’t bother me what they do. I’m talking about lunch or smoke breaks here. If someone would be taking actual time they should be working to study for the exam then I might be a bit annoyed but it’s on their watch. If I have down time I try to work on a project (there always seems to be a project on the to do list) or work on process improvement. Not to sound like a gold star but I want to do good work and get noticed.

Did you try raising your hand and telling on him? Unless it directly effects your workload, it’s not really your business.

depends if the “plenty of work to do” and them not doing it creates more work for you. if you then yes, annoying, if not, then no

If he gets his work done on time and does it well then it really shouldn’t be an issue. Sure we could all be doing more at our jobs in one way or another, but its unrealistic to think someone can work a full 10-12hours without taking a breather once in a while, assuming its reasonable. Its only 19 days til the exam, I wouldn’t let it get to you.

Cut the guy some slack. Less than 3 weeks left before the exam. If it was February and he was studying during work hours, then it would be different.

who cares??? their boss is the one who should make that judgement not the coworker. if their studying is a problem they’ll get canned and you’ll win

if that is not adding you more work to do, why does it bother you ? That’s just none of your business. As long as his boss is ok with his delivery, I can’t see why you shd be annoyed, except if you don’t have enough problem in your life, then you want to create some for your sake, hahaha

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If he gets his work done on time and does it well > then it really shouldn’t be an issue. Sure we > could all be doing more at our jobs in one way or > another, but its unrealistic to think someone can > work a full 10-12hours without taking a breather > once in a while, assuming its reasonable. > > Its only 19 days til the exam, I wouldn’t let it > get to you. No 10-12 hours … more like 7 hours a day.

Guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I feel if it’s time he or anyone is entitled to > use any way they want, then they can. Wouldn’t > bother me what they do. > > I’m talking about lunch or smoke breaks here. > > If someone would be taking actual time they should > be working to study for the exam then I might be a > bit annoyed but it’s on their watch. If I have > down time I try to work on a project (there always > seems to be a project on the to do list) or work > on process improvement. Not to sound like a gold > star but I want to do good work and get noticed. It’s not *his* time when he’s there…he gets paid a salary. You’re right though. If he takes more initiatives or is proactive on the job I wouldn’t care at all (he is not whether it’s test time or not). So I guess I’m more annoyed by the lack of initiative more than the studying.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s only annoying once you finish the exams. It > was not annoying when I was doing the same years > ago. Even more so because I didn’t. heehee…I found new things to do at work, gave it my all, and woke up 3 hours early each day to study before work. I am slightly bitter.

definietly there are each kind of people on this earth !!! So because you used to wake up earlier, ate sandwiches, didn’t take a shower, used to run to go to work etc, then you expect everyone to behave like you and be another you ? for sure you are bitter man. I can’t understand why someone who will focus on his life will be bitter by other people lives if this don’t affect your life directly

Sombrero Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It’s only annoying once you finish the exams. > It > > was not annoying when I was doing the same > years > > ago. > > > Even more so because I didn’t. heehee…I found > new things to do at work, gave it my all, and woke > up 3 hours early each day to study before work. I > am slightly bitter. No offense, but you sound like a petty little b*tch. Ever ask yourslf why, if you’re so superior to him in every way, you’re his coworker and not his manager? Cause if not, maybe you should add that to your list of neat initiatives tomorrow.

Sombrero Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Guy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I feel if it’s time he or anyone is entitled to > > use any way they want, then they can. Wouldn’t > > bother me what they do. > > > > I’m talking about lunch or smoke breaks here. > > > > If someone would be taking actual time they > should > > be working to study for the exam then I might be > a > > bit annoyed but it’s on their watch. If I have > > down time I try to work on a project (there > always > > seems to be a project on the to do list) or > work > > on process improvement. Not to sound like a > gold > > star but I want to do good work and get > noticed. > > > > It’s not *his* time when he’s there…he gets paid > a salary. > Actually by definition, hourly means when you’re there it’s company time. Salary as a matter of fact does not. Unless set hours are clearly delineated in your contract, salary merely represents annual compensation for job duties performed rather than hours worked. Hence why no over time.

I don’t study during work hours (because my bosses are watching…) but I do leave a bit earlier than before. In any case, my justification is that if I pass this exam, I’ll be more valuable to the company, and after 3 weeks, I’ll put in that much more effort to offset any hours I may have “ripped off” my company. So basically, I’m with your co-worker. Besides, your co-worker might be more efficient than you and thus finished all the work and is using extra time to study… :slight_smile:

Is this an hourly job? When I was in college I worked for UTX, and the VP of communications told me a story about a guy there. It went something like this: There was an engineer who had an office all by himself on one of the many long corridors which everyone passed by everyday. Each day he would sit there all day long with his feet up on the desk reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. Everyday, all day long, reading the paper and drinking coffee. So finally the VP asks the President, hey? Why does Bill just sit there all day reading the newspaper. He never seems to anything? Who is this guy? The president responds, “Bill has worked here for about a year and a half. In that time he has had two ideas. They have increased our revenue by roughly 100 million dollars annually. If he wants to read the paper that is ok.”

^funny but true, some people have a micro perspective some a macro perspective. needles to say which one has a bigger impact

“Mommy mommy a coworker studies during work time… I do work and he studies. No fair!” Son, I ought to give you an Andrew Dice Clay style slap

CFA is worthless; the job is not Let each individual decide their own fate