cpa

checked craigslist for job searchings under CFA keyword for Austin and got NOTHING. then i do same search for cpa and there are like 50!!! weeeeaaakkk!

I also have the feeling I chose the wrong major.

In my opinion as a CPA and a level III candidate the CFA is a harder exam

Check out the teacher’s pension plan in Austin if you want a CFA related job. There will always be more bean counters than people trading beans.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also have the feeling I chose the wrong major. you should do an internship as an auditor then ask yourself that question

I worked as an auditor at Big 4 and have never been more happy that I did my undergrad in acct (that isnt to say I loved that job). Guess it depends what type of work you want to do…

an accounting degree (or getting your CPA) is like investing in treasuries - dull most of the time, consistent but small return, and everyone want to be there when everything hits the fan a finance degree is like a small cap growth stock - a good number flame out, a small minority succeed wildly, and people view them/it as very unstable when everything hits the fan I was an auditor for 2 years and although I learned a lot, if I was a better student I would accepted almost any offer for a good finance job right out of school over auditing (at the end of my sophomore year I realized I screwed up so I hedged my bets and a double major in fin and accting).

I think it depends on what interest you. I serve as our finance head of central america and latin america so my role is much more operational, which I prefer. working with vendors/sourcing, looking at new entities in SA, trying to improve Working Cap ratios…I do some review of the financials and then present them to CFO/CEO/etc, but I dont really do much technical accounting and no book keeping, which is how I like it. I think if I were in an investment analyst role I would be bored because it is too hands off to make changes. Plus I dont work too many hours so I have time to have my own business on the side.

Also, PSN, have you found that the double major really helped you “hedge” your bets? I did a BA in acct and MS in Finance and honeslty most of the finance jobs I would want would require experience or an MBA in Finance…so just wondering if your double major helped?

I would say it helped me with “hedging” on the first of job out of undergrad (you can get a respectable accounting job with a decent salary). Since I just left auditing and undergrad two years ago, I can’t say much for after that. I would think your background would not be a disadvantage relative to a MBA in finance.

how long does CPA take to get?

Depends on the state for specific licensing…

STATE SPECIFIC?!!? oh man, im bored with it already. guess CPA is not for me

The Exam is uniform, however most states require 150 credit hours in order to take the exam (with each states setting indivual edu requirments). Also different states have different req when it comes to hours of work needed before they will grant yoiu a CPA licensese SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > STATE SPECIFIC??? oh man, im bored with it > already. guess CPA is not for me

You have to have experience as an auditor or actual accountant right? Could an equity analyst take the exam and apply his work experience to it?

jmh530 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You have to have experience as an auditor or > actual accountant right? Could an equity analyst > take the exam and apply his work experience to it? Illinois and Colorado don’t require work experience. Only 150 credit hours.

I think you have to work under a CPA…if I remember correctly, you ultimately have to have something signed off of a CPA that you worked under. But I dont recall the nature of the work requirements. But anyone can take the exam (as long as you meet the hours requirements and right credits, etc).

In Illinois and Colorado you dont need work experience to get licensed?

Some states like New Hampshire- only need 120 hours and limited courses http://www.beckercpa.com/new_hampshire/index.cfm

Meh, I really don’t even want a CPA, I’d rather just read the material.