Crappiest job

On a related note what was your crappiest job ever. I don’t mean for us to include any white collar jobs even if you worked a gazillion hours a week as an analyst. I mean pizza delivery, truck driver etc. My crappiest job: selling used washer dryers. I stank at it. I was too soft to sell the item and would offer huge discounts. So the buyers were happy but the shop owner didn’t like it much. I would have gotten fired but I got the hint and quit instead.

Overnight shift at a gas station. Aside from the messed up sleep schedule, I don’t know how you can live on 7.50/hr. I was desperate and working 2 jobs between junior/senior year of college. The other job was waiting and busing tables. The tips were good so that job came out to ~$10-12/hr after taxes.

glass factory, lifting huge sheets of it wearing a kevlar suit so it doesnt cut you in half…good times and great motivator…

Does working at the accounting office of my Uni as part of Work Study count? If it does then yea that one. I’d rather work as a delivery man or cashier then ever accept a clerical job that included filing papers into 2 pin folders ALL DAY LONG. Just try it one day. Take a stack of about 500-700 pages, and file them into 7000+ folders by searching for the folder # indicated on each page.

So I worked for awhile on an assembly line stapling together bushel boxes to pack apples in. I stood up all day next to a pallet of flattened boxes, took out a box, folded into the right position, and put four staples into it from this automatic staple machine and then handed it to a person who put cardboard inserts into it. One day, I came home and was watching TV and there is this public service commercial for “hire the trainable mentally retarded” and there is this mongoloid guy stapling boxes together on the same machine I used.

ZeroBonus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just try it one day. Take a stack of about 500-700 > pages, and file them into 7000+ folders by > searching for the folder # indicated on each page. Been there. Yeah that has to be one of the worst.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One day, I came home and was watching TV and there > is this public service commercial for “hire the > trainable mentally retarded” and there is this > mongoloid guy stapling boxes together on the same > machine I used. Ha! Either you are too old or lived in a different country. Cuz this stuff cant be on television.

My crappiest job is my current job where I work with a Firm that has no certain future and where I am involved with writing research notes which don’t really add much value.

Digging ditches for a sprinkler company in summer, in Texas, for 8 bucks an hour. All jobs completed in two days, no matter how long that meant you stayed…

When I was 17 I took a job at The Finish Line selling athletic shoes and apparel…it was awful because you were constantly pressured to sell customers sh*t that you know they don’t need - may be fine for some but I was obviously too honest to be a salesman.

telemarketer for some window/class installation company. i quit after 2 hrs.

I had a bunch of crappy jobs during high school and college (gas station, fast food, pizza delivery, chineese delivery, waiter, construction, lawn mowing, etc.), but I never really hated any of them. They all were easy and in each one I pretty much screwed around around all day. Now in my first “real” job, they gave me the daunting task of testing the company’s 1-800 number. I would literally call this number twice a day and fill out a spreadsheet identifing that I went to each menu in the automated phone system. To this day I can’t stand calling 1-800 #s.

I worked pizza delivery. It was actually a pretty good job.

The worst job I ever had was getting lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield’s arse. (HT Derek & Clive)

front desk at sleazy motel in podunk, alabama.

I worked at a vet clinic when I was a junior in HS. Duties included throwing dead dogs in Hefty bags into a freezer and shaving cat’s asses so they could get shots. The animals made me really sick with and I did horrible in track that year as a result. I got fired when they found beer bottles I left there over the weekend. Thank god.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I worked pizza delivery. It was actually a pretty > good job. +1. One time my mgr felt bad for me because I had to drive half our out of my way and not get a tip. She cancelled the order from the system and I got to pocket the $15.

i was working 40 hours a week at $8 an hour at a regional insurance company during the summer before college. my responsibilities entailed more menial tasks than you can probably imagine, as well as dreaming about the day that i’d make more money than my superiors at that company. basically, it was the ultimate data entry and paper-pushing job. most of the people there were just getting by and clearly had no passion or interest for the work they were doing. however, some of my more memorable experiences at that job included speaking with one colleague from jamaica – just hearing the guy’s accent as well as his anecdotes about prior experiences with recreational drugs was absolutely hilarious. and then there was this one girl who was pretty hot, except that when i told her that i was going to college in the fall, her key piece of advice to me was to “make sure you have a major.” WTF – are there people that graduate from college who don’t have majors?

just curious…for those of you who worked in the service industry, how are tips calculated if they’re submitted as part of a credit card bill? does the waiter get to keep all of that as he would if he just received a cash tip? or does the restaurant end up taking a cut of the gratuity if it’s paid for on the credit card?

Gee, I’ve mostly enjoyed all the jobs I’ve had (though not always the people I worked for). The crappiest things I did were before I was truly in the workforce. Probably the worst job was when I was 8 or 9 and had to go door to door selling packets of flower and vegetable seeds to the neighbors. Couldn’t figure out why anyone would want to buy them, but had to do it (because I signed up to do it for some catalog of rewards). Somewhat better was when I had to go door to door selling chocolates to raise money for my school. I didn’t like it much, but it was better, because at least I knew why people would want chocolates. In high school, my Junior Achievement group was trying sell to car ice scrapers to people. This was in the bay area, where it almost never freezes. Looking back, the organizers were probably trying to see if we’d switch to a different product. But we didn’t really know much about analyzing market demand and stuff. I hate selling stuff that is junk, just to meet a quota. I don’t mind selling things that I think people should genuinely want, although those early experiences make me nervous to make cold calls or knock on doors where nobody knows me.