Crappiest job

handing out flyers in downtown chicago for subway at $5/hr.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just curious…for those of you who worked in the > service industry, how are tips calculated if > they’re submitted as part of a credit card bill? > does the waiter get to keep all of that as he > would if he just received a cash tip? or does the > restaurant end up taking a cut of the gratuity if > it’s paid for on the credit card? Numi, From the establishment I worked at, we did not need to tip our bartenders or busboys. The staff would rotate and take turns as the busser not making tips. So the credit card slip tip would go only to the servers paycheck (I assume as it was hard to keep an audit trail). Also, since the tips were placed on one’s paycheck, taxes were taken out as well. However I know many places have a tip pool to make everything more fair to everyone. If there was a banquet at this particular place, the credit card would be charged a 19% service charge. But, the house would take 10% of that! So 9% would be split up amoung the staff that served, cleared, bartended, etc the event. I had thought of escalating this since I don’t know how its legal for the house to assume some of the service charge. Someone else may be able to shed some light on this.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just curious…for those of you who worked in the > service industry, how are tips calculated if > they’re submitted as part of a credit card bill? > does the waiter get to keep all of that as he > would if he just received a cash tip? or does the > restaurant end up taking a cut of the gratuity if > it’s paid for on the credit card? The waiter gets to keep all of it. However all credit card tips are automatically reported on your w-2 so you have to pay taxes on them. I personally never declared my cash tips, so effectively a cash tip was worth more $$ to me than one left on a card.

KrukVT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > just curious…for those of you who worked in > the > > service industry, how are tips calculated if > > they’re submitted as part of a credit card > bill? > > does the waiter get to keep all of that as he > > would if he just received a cash tip? or does > the > > restaurant end up taking a cut of the gratuity > if > > it’s paid for on the credit card? > > > The waiter gets to keep all of it. However all > credit card tips are automatically reported on > your w-2 so you have to pay taxes on them. I > personally never declared my cash tips, so > effectively a cash tip was worth more $$ to me > than one left on a card. +1

Interesting, I rarely put tips on a credit card, unless I am having cash management troubles. So when the bill comes and I see that line “Tip/Gratuity”, I write “CASH” on that line, so the guy knows that I’m not forgetting to tip them. That’s useful, because I also write “PICK-UP” when I’m taking out food, because I don’t believe in giving tips to people whose service was simply putting my order in a bag. I’m happy to tip people who serve well and come check on me while I’m dinning there.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interesting, I rarely put tips on a credit card, > unless I am having cash management troubles. So > when the bill comes and I see that line > “Tip/Gratuity”, I write “CASH” on that line, so > the guy knows that I’m not forgetting to tip them. > That’s useful, because I also write “PICK-UP” > when I’m taking out food, because I don’t believe > in giving tips to people whose service was simply > putting my order in a bag. I’m happy to tip > people who serve well and come check on me while > I’m dinning there. After working in the industry I personally hate the concept of tipping. To me its a bribe for someone to do their job. I can understand tipping a bartender who is skilled at making a particular drink, but tipping a beer tub girl to open and hand a beer to me, or a waiter/waitress to carry food from the kitchen to my table is just lucacris. I tip the standard 15% in most cases, although I really wish it wasn’t such an expectation.

I also write “PICK-UP” > when I’m taking out food, because I don’t believe > in giving tips to people whose service was simply > putting my order in a bag. I’m happy to tip > people who serve well and come check on me while > I’m dinning there. I agree - I hate when the expect you to tip when all they do is take your money and hand you a bag! I also don’t like how there’s a general expectation that you should tip at least 15% regardless of service level received. However, I’ve never had the guts to actually stiff a sever who was awful…someday I’ll grow a pair

Worst Job - definitely working at the Nestle Ice cream factory as an order picker during the summer. Transitioning between -30c to 0c to +30c was insane!!! Needless to say, I quit after a week of that crap…

I’ve had a couple of bad servers before – basically, folks who were inconsiderate, tried to make a pass at a girl I was dating and having dinner with, etc. – for these guys, I’ll add a tip that rounds the total amount to the nearest dollar.

My first job was keeping the Cici’s pizza buffet stocked. Turnover was so bad that they hired about 3 times more people than they needed. We each only worked about 4 hours per day one day a week and we all got minimum wage, which at the time was $4.25 per hour. I worked there for about a month and a half before moving up to the big time… tearing people’s tickets at a movie theatre! I got an absurdly large 29% pay bump from $4.25 to $5.50! Score!

Selling doors door-to-door

I was a dougnut hole cutter. MAN did that ever suck. Willy

Chopping fruit and vegetables for the grocery store salad bar.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Selling doors door-to-door Thats from some movie…I cant recall.

My first job in this country was folding and packing washed clothes in the laundromat for $5 an hour (no tips). Escaped in one month;)

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Interesting, I rarely put tips on a credit > card, > > unless I am having cash management troubles. > So > > when the bill comes and I see that line > > “Tip/Gratuity”, I write “CASH” on that line, so > > the guy knows that I’m not forgetting to tip > them. > > That’s useful, because I also write “PICK-UP” > > when I’m taking out food, because I don’t > believe > > in giving tips to people whose service was > simply > > putting my order in a bag. I’m happy to tip > > people who serve well and come check on me > while > > I’m dinning there. > > > After working in the industry I personally hate > the concept of tipping. To me its a bribe for > someone to do their job. I can understand tipping > a bartender who is skilled at making a particular > drink, but tipping a beer tub girl to open and > hand a beer to me, or a waiter/waitress to carry > food from the kitchen to my table is just > lucacris. I tip the standard 15% in most cases, > although I really wish it wasn’t such an > expectation. Some waiters are only paid something like $3/hr and the rest is expected to come from their tips. I agree though. I’m not going to tip a bartender whose job was to pass me a cold beer from a fridge. I’ve had a lot of crap jobs. Chickfila-cashier when I was 14. I wanted a laptop and worked there until I had the $$ Golf Course-golf cart attendant (I got free beer and free golf so that was nice) Publix Grocery Stores-worked as a grocery bagger when I was 15. Sucked Tennis Court Construction- good money under the table, hot as hell working on freshly paved asphalt. Christmas Tree Lot-a pretty fun job just showing people Christmas trees and then throwing them onto my shoulder and on their cars. As far as the job environment and my co-workers went, Chickfila was definitely the worst. But that’s what the fast food industry is and will always be. Taught me some lessons about never wanting to make minimum wage ever again. It’s definitely a great thing for the younger generations to experience.

I took a ‘job’ for “Scentura Creations” - selling designer cologne and perfume on the street for this company. What a waste. All commission - and complete BS. Definitely the worst. Total crap. www.scenturacreations.com Among others include - Waterboy for a tennis club - SA / Busser for Seafood restaurant in SC - SA / Busser for Japanese place in CA - Lawnwork in CA - Cashier at Harris Teeter all of this before college… funny looking back at those jobs …

Washing dishes in a fine dining restaurant = not fun. I used that role to eventually wait tables and bartend there after I turned 21 = lots of beer money. On the credit card tip question - it depends. I’ve worked in places where management takes a $2 cut off of the top of ANY credit card tips to cover the cost of each credit card transaction (the cost actually varies depending on the original contract, what type of card was used and often is variable depending on the amount charged). This is technically legal, at least in Illinois, though a bit shady if you ask me. The owner should be on the hook to cover the costs of business - not the employee whom the owner is only paying $3-4/hour in the first place. In most places I have worked, the waiter is required to pay a portion of their tips to the help (busboys, hostesses, bartenders, and even sometimes a small amount to the kitchen crew). That usually averages about 20-30% of the servers total tips, though I did work at one place where it added up to 42% of total tips that get paid out to the help. This is usually done by calculating a certain set percentage of total sales to be paid out to each level of help (for example, the busboys get 1.5% of total sales, so if a waiter sells $1,500 of food, the busboys get $22.50, while the waiter should normally expect to pull in about 18-20% of the total sales in tips a night, or $270-300 before tipping out), so that the waiters can’t stiff the help if they get stiffed. Which is why it really stings when someone doesn’t leave a tip at all, as the waiter is still stuck paying out the extra help based on those sales, even though they don’t collect any tip revenue to cover it - meaning they just had to pay money to have the privelege of waiting on that table that stiffed them. Technically, all tips are supposed to be reported as income (after the payout to the extra help); however, most servers only claim their credit card tips (holding on to the cash tips without paying tax on it) as income and end up paying tax only on those credit card tips, as that portion can be easily tracked.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: > Golf Course-golf cart attendant (I got free beer > and free golf so that was nice) Well thats everything a man ever works for. Why would you even quit?

Chuckrox8, which golf course?