DEC 09 candidate status

Which session are you reading now? I’m almost done with the readings, starting SS15 today and hopefully finish by the end of the month or the first week of next month. How are you reviewing after you’re done reading?

Hey Philly! I’m making slow progress. Just starting second SS in FRA. And I skipped Ethics. So a lot to do. Hope to cover everything by end Oct. Then go back and plough through questions / revise whatever I notice I am struggling with in November. Do as many full mock exams as possible this month also.

I have finished Quant and FSA. I am half way or 2/3 through economics, which is flying by.

I’m mid SS15. I’m on target to be finished by mid-October, which was my goal from the beginning. I’m doing end of chapter Schweser questions, as well as CFAI, and doing a cumulative Schweser QBank test every few weeks.

Right now I am in the middle of Equities (just finished the sections of efficient markets). I would say economics went by the fastest and that SS8/9 felt like walking through wet concrete. I spent a lot of time on quant but that is b/c I was travelling through Japan/China during those sections. I am about 65% done with the CFAI texts. Its werid to think that the test is still 1/4 of a year away, yet at the same time feels so close.

I’m in the same spot as nuppal, partway through equities. How are you guys finding retention? and how are you keeping it up?

mrbrownstone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in the same spot as nuppal, partway through > equities. How are you guys finding retention? and > how are you keeping it up? Personally, I feel like my retention is piss poor. I can remember most of the basic concepts but any thing in detail is lost on me after 1 day. For instance, it takes me about a good 5 minutes if I do a “fire drill” by trying to recall the previous nights study topic. For some strange reason economics (the section I feel like i FLEW through) has stayed with me rather well. Also, the reading on probablility has stayed with me as well, that is probably because I am always applying probability and economics to girls as potential targets when i go to the bar. P(I get laid)=.1 P(I buy her a drink)=1 P(I get laid if I buy her a drink)=.9 Not correct but you get the idea.

I’m working through Derivatives now. Glad to almost be done with these giant text books. I’ll probably spend October and November reviewing the tough/vital parts (ethics & quant), and beating myself up on Qbank.

I’m close to wrapping up SS8 in FRA (just started CF Statements), so I’m a little behind by most standards. I’m using Schweser pretty much exclusively and referencing CFAI Text for additional color in tough areas. I’m going in order, so I’ve completed Ethics, Quants & Econ (and I use the word “completed” very lightly). I echo the piss poor comment related to retention. I’m usually pretty good for a day or two, but when looking back at a topic I, like one of the earlier posters, recall the bigger picture and basic concepts but forget the detail and application of formulas that I looked at a week earlier is hopeless. I will just continue to plug along and hope things start to click when I get done and start reviewing and test taking. Quants was a beast and I got stuck there. Econ and Ethics went rather smoothly. FRA is quite cumbersome and I’m probably retaining a little more than half of what I’m reading. Once I’m done reading I will likely run through the Secret Sauce and refer back to the fuzzy areas, which I’m guessing will take me at least a week. I will begin mock tests soon after the review and the mock’s (along with reference checks) will be the focus of my study from that point on. I’ve paid for the Program now so no turning back:).

I am in portfolio management right now. Got to do Equities, FI, Derivatives and AI. How hard is FI for someone who is a beginner? I am most concerned about that. I also need to go through Ethics since I had done that very casually and don’t remember anything. I echo Nuppal on retention. Even though I remember the concepts, my memory fails me with the details. I am planning to get everything done by month end and use the 1st week of Oct for Ethics. Then I need to go back to doing questions and revising everything. Those two months are going to be my make or break months.

I am finishing up SS 9 - it has been brutal. Pls someone tell me itdoesn’t get worse than SS9! Still hoping to have all of Nov to review.

MayKiG, I also thought SS9 was BRUTAL!!! it was sooo long. Im reading SS15 now, and none after SS9 have been as bad. I heard people have problems with fixed income, but so far so good… nothing like SS9. Good luck!!!

Finished SS11 today. IMO, SS9 has been the worst so far.

I’m way behind, i took my time finishing Quant, so many formulas to remember, but i’m scoring 85-100% on all the Schweser concept checkers so far, hope the exam questions are that easy. Plan on flying through Econ in the next week or so, on track to finish up early November so i can start focusing on practice exams.

@sillbeer ECON is not that tough, I actually found the readings to be really interesting. Especially the part regarding game theory. Just be sure that you understand the concepts and understand what conditions put pressure on what market indicators. From what I have read on AF Econ is easy to get through but can be a devil in disguise on the test. G/L finishing the material 78 days just put your head down and get it done!

I’m revising the topics under which I feel least confident on so I am a little haphazard at the minute - only Fixed Income and Equities to go then I’m onto questions galore! :slight_smile:

KarenC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m revising the topics under which I feel least > confident on so I am a little haphazard at the > minute - only Fixed Income and Equities to go then > I’m onto questions galore! :slight_smile: Yeah, you’re following me.

Nope you’re just searching for all my posts and writing back just so I might pay a little bit of attention to you!!

I just want to get this reading done so bad… hoping to finish SS15 tomorrow and moving to SS16… then 17 and 18 seems pretty short, then questions and question and more questions… ugh

Philly1616 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just want to get this reading done so bad… > hoping to finish SS15 tomorrow and moving to > SS16… then 17 and 18 seems pretty short, then > questions and question and more questions… > ugh ALMOST THERE GUY! I am just about to start 14, 15-18 seem shorter in general. Hopefully I can knock everything out by the first week in October so I can have at least a solid 1.5 months to review. I am thinking I might take a weekend off after I finish the texts… Good idea?