DEC L1 2010 -- Place Results Here

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * -

KSTHANE Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This was the lowest pass rate since 2005, so to > everyone else who passed, good job. If you didn’t > pass, just know that this was one of the harder > exams, next summer that rate might come up. > Looking back through history, this was the first > time in awhile that there wasn’t just a 2% > difference between the summer and winter tests, > it’s kind of BS that they dropped the rate as low > as they did. I was ready to mutiny when I saw > that pass rate. Dude, the CFAI doesn’t dial up or down the difficulty of the exam at will. There are many factors in addition to the exam difficulty that influence the passing rate.

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - - Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Investments 24 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 * - - - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - - Portfolio Management 12 * - - - Quantitative Methods 28 * - - This was my first foray into finance. What a wake up call. Congrats to all those who passed.

Hello nycag04, I agree with you there is no magic bullet to nail down the test… but, it almost always happens that when you look back after the results are out, you would realize you would have done something differently in your preparation irrespective of whether you passed or failed. I am looking for such insights as there are quite a few of us getting ready for L1 in June 2010. It would be pretty expensive to make the same mistake if another person on the forum is wise enough to alert you before it is too late… I requested such insights from those who passed or failed… And I have to say that reading all these posts about your scores is itself very exciting… I can imagine the adrenalin pump you get for those few seconds that you type the message… I hope I get to do it this June…

Post37 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 1: Fail > > The table below illustrates your subject matter > strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on > the right are marked with asterisks to indicate > your performance on each question or topic area. > > > > Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% > >70% > - Alternative Investments 8 * - - > - Corporate Finance 20 - * - > - Derivatives 12 * - - > - Economics 24 * - - > - Equity Investments 24 * - - > - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - > - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 * - - > - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - > - Portfolio Management 12 * - - > - Quantitative Methods 28 * - - > > > This was my first foray into finance. What a wake > up call. Congrats to all those who passed. wow man, did you study at all?

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Dude, the CFAI doesn’t dial up or down the > difficulty of the exam at will. There are many > factors in addition to the exam difficulty that > influence the passing rate. I think it’s pretty clear that they did this time. I took the summer test and felt like it was much easier; I was actually more confident in passing the summer test after I got out than I was of passing this one and that was without much studying for the summer test. I think that they moved to three multiple choice answers and had way more people pass than they expected. As a result, they worded the questions a little harder this time and added some more esoteric subject matter to the exam. I bet there’s nowhere near that big a delta next year between the two tests. Whatever the reason, it’s still crazy that the pass rate dropped from summer to winter as much as it did. Look through the historical results…there was never a delta between the two exams more than 2% since they started offering it twice a year: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_results.pdf

I scored over 70% in every section ! so happy

Level 1: Fail Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Methods 28 - * - Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10 Bit annoyed really. Five areas > 70 including 3 of the 4 big ones. I only put 8 weeks into preparing for the exam and didn’t ever actually open the equities book so I am mystified as to how I got over 70%, ditto for FI. Note to self: try harder. Congrats everyone… you should be proud to be one of the 1 in 3 that passed!

Post37 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 1: Fail > > The table below illustrates your subject matter > strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on > the right are marked with asterisks to indicate > your performance on each question or topic area. > > > > Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% > >70% > - Alternative Investments 8 * - - > - Corporate Finance 20 - * - > - Derivatives 12 * - - > - Economics 24 * - - > - Equity Investments 24 * - - > - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - > - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 * - - > - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - > - Portfolio Management 12 * - - > - Quantitative Methods 28 * - - > > > This was my first foray into finance. What a wake > up call. Congrats to all those who passed. You were probably band 1, right? Anyway, better luck next time.

I suck. Studied for a good 4 months, 4-5 nights a week and a fair amount at work. Had the entire week before the exam off to take mocks and study and only got >70 (Ethics-at least I know I’m ethical-LOL) in 1 section. I can’t believe I bombed in Band 5. I’ve been in banking/inv. mgmt. for years and should have crushed this thing. Not sure what to do about re-taking it. Just pissed off now and don’t even want to think about craking open the Schweser books again. Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 * - - - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - - Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Methods 28 * - -

Passed Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - * Proof that schweser and AF is all you need

I wonder if the cfapower, the person who made this topic passed, he haven’t replied to his own topic.

I stand corrected - didn’t realize absences didn’t count! cv4cfa, best of luck to you! If it helps at all, I would definitely do the CFAI EOC questions - I neglected those for L1 and won’t make that mistake again. If nothing else, it will help bridge the gap between Schweser and CFAI.

An 0-4-6 Saw a few 1-4-5 pass but don’t think I saw a 1-5-4 make it. Would be interesting to eventually get an overview of what sections were the weakest in passing and what was needed to pass. Did some half ass studying until the last couple of weeks when I was kicking myself for not ratcheting up the intensity sooner. Unemployed or I would not have made it. Spent 8+ hours day studying those weeks. Never studied that hard in my life. Didn’t think I passed. Figured band 9. 34% Pass rate on the entry page and I figured I had no shot. Studied just from the CFA books which I didn’t find too bad. Level 1: Pass Alternative Investments 8 - - * Corporate Finance 20 - * - Derivatives 12 - * - Economics 24 - - * Equity Investments 24 - - * Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * Portfolio Management 12 - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

Result: Fail Band: 10 Prepared for just about 8 weeks. >70% in all sections except Economics(51-70) and FSA (<50) I thought the exam was much easier than I had expected it would be. I wish I had worked harder on FSA, that was my deal breaker. Maybe 2 more weeks of revision would have helped a lot. I think I will give it another shot in June. Hoping employer will pay for it. Congrats to everyone that passed, Good luck to everyone giving it in June.

This thread suffers from selection bias. The people who fail have no incentive to post their results. As for me >70% for all but one: Pass Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

I have suspicions that good performance on ethics had no impact on pass/fail on this exam.

Pass scored above 70 in every section

sc23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have suspicions that good performance on ethics > had no impact on pass/fail on this exam. The ethics score only matters when you’re borderline pass/fail.