Decisions, Decisions

I’m again turning to you, AF board, for advice. Anyone have any opinions between the choices I’m facing? a. Get an MBA from Wichita State, which I could start immediately, virtually for free between my company’s reimbursement and their cheap tuition (never heard of WSU? that’s sort of the point here…) b. Get a few years work experience under my belt, maybe take another shot at the GMAT (after one shot at the test I have a 660…), and try to make it into a big name MBA program - which would also mean that I would likely pay a small fortune for the degree c. Start working towards becoming a CFA d. Earn my private pilot’s license for free through a company reimbursement program…which would take about 9 months, would probably be more of a hobby than anything beneficial to my career, but would be a great experience, no doubt

If one of your goals in life is to make money, then both B and C. If not, A. or D.

EMHdenied Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If one of your goals in life is to make money, > then both B and C. If not, A. or D. And if one of your goals in life…is life…avoid D.

Also depends on career path. If you want BB IB, then def B. If you like the career path you are on in your company, then you might not need to do anything.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EMHdenied Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If one of your goals in life is to make money, > > then both B and C. If not, A. or D. > > > And if one of your goals in life…is life…avoid > D. Hahah. It’s safer than you might think, but this is still a good comment.

I agree with EMHdenied, you need to figure out what your goals are. if you want to stay local (i’m assuming you live in or around wichita) wichita state mba might be perfect for you. however, if you want to get noticed by bigger institutions in san fran, boston, nyc, etc, you might consider B especially given your already respectable GMAT score. 660 is already at the mean for top 25 schools if i’m not mistaken. work hard, grind out another 30-40 points and get started prepping for essays. telling a compelling story in your essays goes a long way if you have the gpa/gmat behind you. great bschools in the midwest. texas-mccombs might be a good fit for you. they have a pretty good investment program i believe.

Thanks Emmit, I’ve got a 3.5 GPA from KU…which has a good B school as far as state schools are concerned. I’ve always held somewhat low expectations for MBA programs b/c I’ve just never felt like I could possibly be accepted into an ivy. That being said, McCombs has actually been one of my top choices for awhile now, they definitely have a good program and I’m not sure that I would want to work in NYC or Boston… Anyway, it’s tough to have clear career goals when you’re only 4 months into your career…but I’m very anxious to build a promising career of some kind.

Do CFA and Private Pilot License. Trust me, being able to fly a plane is impressive to girls, parents, friends, employers, clients, everyone. You said you’re only four months into your career… forget about the MBA for a few years, and have fun.

I would honestly earn my CFP, CLU and possibly CFA Designations, if you can afford them, and open your own independant financial planning practice. I suspect that long-term care insurance and critical illness insurance are going to be absolutely huge. HUGE. Huger than Willy. Huger than AF dot com. And certainly huger than the idiot site administrator who purposely deleted my thread about Englebert Humperdink. CFP and CLU are pretty straight forward designations. Study hard and you’ll pass. CFA…?..well as per this site and others like it…study hard and well…best o’luck. Willy

I would 100% be with option D. Getting the PPL or a CPL will be awesome…

d) Morons can fly planes. It’s simple. Who cares? I can think of oodles of video games that are harder than landing a Cessna. This one is out a) What state is Wichita in? This is out b) and d) … that’s what winners do.

Pilots make $$$

If your not going to be a stunt pilot then you simply are not a BSD in my book.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would honestly earn my CFP, CLU and possibly CFA > Designations, if you can afford them, and open > your own independant financial planning practice. > I suspect that long-term care insurance and > critical illness insurance are going to be > absolutely huge. HUGE. Huger than Willy. Huger > than AF dot com. And certainly huger than the > idiot site administrator who purposely deleted my > thread about Englebert Humperdink. CFP and CLU are > pretty straight forward designations. Study hard > and you’ll pass. CFA…?..well as per this site > and others like it…study hard and well…best > o’luck. > > Willy Haha - you loved that Englebert Humperdink thread, as did I. What a stud - makes music for the people and the ladies.

I understand the lure of the big name MBA programs. Sure the networking is great if you live in NYC or Chicago or SF. But I do truly think it depends on what you want. I went to a state school in the NW, and did my MBA at a smaller private school. My GMAT was 620, so I was probably second tier as far as schools who would look at me, but I didn’t want to live in those cities (don’t get me wrong, I lived in SF for three years and loved it). Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones, but I was able to get into a Fortune 50 Treasury operation, made a name for myself, and now run the investments for another Fortune 150. If you prefer to live outside of the big cities, a degree at WSU might not be bad, as long as you are planning on pursuing the CFA. Just depends on the quality of life trade. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the greatly varying opinions everyone. I think I’ll have to put off the WSU mba on hold in hopes of getting into a better program in a few years. And I’ll make a decision between getting my pilot’s certificate and the starting the CFA process any day now… Wichita is in Kansas, Joey. Are we really that obscure?!? Sigh.

Why has no one pointed out the awesomeness of the Wichita State mascot. Go look it up and you might change your tune on this school.

The shockers… that is just awesome

> d. Earn my private pilot’s license for free > through a company reimbursement program…which > would take about 9 months, would probably be more > of a hobby than anything beneficial to my career, > but would be a great experience, no doubt Your employer will really pay for this? why would they do this?

Haha, yes - WuShock the Wichita State Shocker I work for an aerospace manufacturing company. We build airplanes, so they have a training reimbursement program for aspiring pilots. I guess they offer it as sort of an educational tool in terms of understanding our products, but it also serves a retention tool because I’m sure I’ll be less likely to leave the company if they’re letting me fly their planes for free :slight_smile: