#deleteUber?

The movement to boycott uber since they decided to continue to work during the JFK strike seems excessive to me. Anyone agree with this trend?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/01/lyft-and-ubers-immigration-ban/514889/

Nice try, NY taxi association…

I think it’s yet another example of liberals wasting limited resources on useless issues. This delete Uber movement is symbolic for how stupid the liberals have behaved lately. I’m glad Bill Mahr brought this up last weekend

Lol

I’ve never quite understood the idea of disrupting the lives of innocent people to protest a policy that disrupts the lives of innocent people. I realize that consequences for the refugees are far more severe than they are for the folks who couldn’t get to or from the airport in a timely manner, but that doesn’t mean it’s okay.

I have to imagine some innocent people had their commutes interrupted during the Montgomery bus boycotts. I’m sure they were ok.

False equivalent. Nice try though.

Not really. You made a generalized statement about protests. I merely provided an example to help you understand.

Bus service was not disrupted in the Montgomery bus boycott, black riders simply stopped riding and, ironically, used taxis instead or set up car pools. The loss of revenue to the city was the protest, not disrupting the lives of other riders. Ergo, false equivalent. History lesson complete.

You’re telling me not a single person not involved in the protest or the racism, black or white, had their commute disrupted? My point was that protests are bound to have some fallout to the indifferent. I realize details and specifics are huge with you so I apologize for not using a dead on accurate equivalent.

The traffic in the major cities was a nightmare last weekend. The idea that you should suspend all activism on the off chance you may minorly inconvenience someone would result in no more protests ever. The innocents will manage.

Man, AF is filled with a bunch of picket line crossing scabs. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. I’m sure all those poor innocent Uber drivers just switched over to Lyft since most already drive for both.

The sentiment is similar to that of BLM and the 99%; that it’s “ok to disrupt anything because our message is important and needs to be heard despite the costs.” They were upset that Uber undermined their message by saving travelers from the inconvenience. Two problems here: 1) we cannot disrupt everyone’s daily life for every message that “needs to be heard”; and 2) why not boycott the MTA bus and subway service, as well as, the LIRR? They were surely running.

Getting a little more obscure here. I know many are scared of AI/machines taking over, but I’m starting think it’s the best way to get rid of “the dumb.”

The issue here is that this criticism argues not that people have the right to protest, but that people should be boycotted for not protesting. This is equivalent of saying that Uber has no freedom of speech, which is pretty bigoted.

Plus, my earlier comment was not joking. This was a concerted effort by NY Taxi people to smear Uber’s image. They are using the plight of refugees to further their commercial interest. So, it is bad form on multiple fronts.

There wasn’t a chance they would inconvenience people, they specifically chose to inconvenience people as a form of protest. Taxi drivers were not on strike to protest working conditions or wages, which would be totally valid reasons to strike. The people needing taxi service have absolutely nothing to do with the issue. If they want to protest, grab a sign and leave other people’s lives alone.

There is a subway access to JFK. Just saying…

I didn’t click the link (at first), but I then decided it would be worthwhile to skim the article… they do a nice job ignoring the extent of Uber offering to help (no surprise coming from The Atlantic). Uber publicly pledged resources (a $3 million defense fund (or something), 24/7 legal and immigration assistance) and compensation for lost wages to aid their employees who are impacted by the EO. You can readily find this online.

Seems to me like they took the stance of continuing normal business while recognizing and offering assistance to their employees in need.

You know that and are comfortable riding the subway, but many other people aren’t young folks who are familiar with the city. I suspect the mainstream media will never report on the little old lady from Omaha who jumped on the first available flight when she found out her sister had a stroke, only to arrive at the hospital 10 minutes after her sister died alone because she couldn’t get a cab, never heard of Uber or Lyft, and was afraid to ride the subway.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/15/protesters-block-traffic-southeast-express-northbound/G3aLvpDWRixI2I6SVyaErM/amp.html

Think that covered the disruption pretty well. Even talks about stopped ambulances. These protestors could use a whaambulance am I right am I right.

That’s like saying we don’t need buses because trains exist.

Protesters defended their actions as a necessary call for change. “Disruptions wake people up a little bit from their privilege and insulation,” said Shannon Leary, a spokeswoman for the Milton protest. “Things have to change.”

I wonder what they would have said if the person in the ambulance died because he/she didn’t make it to the hospital on time? Would you still consider these minor inconveniences okay if your family member was being rushed to the hospital and died because somebody thought blocking traffic was a good way to “wake people up a little bit from their privilege and insulation”?