Depresssssssssssssssed

Hello Everyone, I don’t know whether you all have come out of the blue moon of passing CFA Level 1 or not but I am feeling very depressed.I am working in hard core accounting process and don’t have anything related to CFA.I applied in many companies and reputed brokerage firm’s research departments but got only one answer"Sorry,You don’t have any experience in this field". Is this the value of doing CFA,i thought i am on right road to success but that is just an illusion.My girlfriend expect a lot from me,my dad wants me to grow in terms of money. But where i should go,i am feeling like CFA alone is not enough you have to do MBA.I don’t want to fall behind,I am going mad. Not able to concentrate on current job and Level 2 studies. Please don’t solicticate me as i have many people to do this.tell me the reality as i have came out of the illusion that I am the star of clearing Level 1.

youre screwed bro, this is #1

I_Passed_Level_1,i know this is level 1 and that’s why i asked everyone.tell me the reallity.

L1 isn’t a big deal and carries very little weight from a professional standpoint. Clearing L2 probably won’t get you much either. Not trying to discourage you, but that seems to be the general consensus. That being said, I did get a better job while studying for L1. It had less to do with my involvement in the actual program and more to do with my ability to discuss financial topics well. He didn’t care about the CFA Program, but the knowledge gained from the program did help.

The reality is dreadful. I don’t think you can bear seeing it:-). But anyways,I have gone through the same phase too.I am on almost same boat as you are, except for being in IT and passing Level 2. Even with Level 2\Level3 you might not unlock the door, my experience. But,CFA is worthy, Its just my belief. So, chart out a plan for the next 3 years(what you want to become and what you need to accomplish it) and and work towards it. It takes time to achieve sth that stays and something that comes out of flash doesn’t last for ever. Some one on the forum said this:Never, Never, Never give up. I love those words Regards. PS:Don’t communicate your dreams\goals or whatever in your further conversations with your girl friend, its like fueling her expectations and your depression.

We are in a global recession, and I’m sure there’s a pool of talent out there who have experience AND a CFA. I’m sure once the economy picks up, there will be more job opportunities and passing all 3 levels of the CFA will help you. You need to find fullfillment in something else my friend. If you constantly chase money you’ll never be satisfied. As Jesus said, “The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.” God bless you my friend.

Be patient…I don’t know how old you are, but you probably have plenty of time to reach whatever career/financial success you want. Don’t put too much into other people’s expectations though…do what makes you happy. If your gf and dad don’t understand how tough things are right now and appreciate you working so hard at something, then get rid of her and tell your dad to shut up or you’ll put him in assisted living in 5 years. Things in life usually don’t go as planned, so be driven and work toward your goals, but realize that some things are out of your hands (like the economy) and things will work out in the end. Work hard, study, exercise, and drink a few beers…you’ll be ok.

i don’t want to blame anyone but for me money is lill important as i wan the gal whom i luv.I am an idiot who is expecting a lot

Looks like you need a change of pace. Go to business school if you can afford it. It’s the best way to change fields and you will have something new to look forward to. The CFA will probably not change your career dramatically. If you are depressed with your current situation, you need to do something different.

If your gf will only marry you because of money, then she doesn’t love you. You’ll end up having a miserable marriage. Marriage is about two people loving ONE ANOTHER. Find another gf.

who’s gonna run this town tonight SAML? You are yes I said it you are!!

“My girlfriend expects a lot from me” What??? Tell her to focus on her own job and not yours. The only thing that can save you right now is to go around and shop for a new GF. Also things dont happen overnight and not everyone follows the same path (CFA, MBA, Good Job etc), things fall into place when you dont stress on it too much. That’ been my experience so far.

chrisclwtr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Be patient…I don’t know how old you are, but you > probably have plenty of time to reach whatever > career/financial success you want. Don’t put too > much into other people’s expectations though…do > what makes you happy. If your gf and dad don’t > understand how tough things are right now and > appreciate you working so hard at something, then > get rid of her and tell your dad to shut up or > you’ll put him in assisted living in 5 years. > > Things in life usually don’t go as planned, so be > driven and work toward your goals, but realize > that some things are out of your hands (like the > economy) and things will work out in the end. > Work hard, study, exercise, and drink a few > beers…you’ll be ok. + 1 million

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > who’s gonna run this town tonight SAML? You are > yes I said it you are!! - 1. SAML is depressed and his girl is bullying him.

To be very frank.shez the best,she don wan anything.But i think one should marry if he is able to give some comfirts of life.Atleast 5-6 Lacs INR is must i think.My dad don’t sleep at night thinking about my career.I don’t know but yesterday i was thinking of doing suicide but don’t have the gutts to do that.

hey sam u might need help…consult a doctor i was earning x 4 years back and now i m earning 6x but still i feel that my batchmates are getting much more than myself… salary is never enough…no matter how much u would earn u would yearn to earn more… to put things in perspective …most probably u r earning more than your father… job is just a part of life… professional success is mostly a function of luck… u have a gf (only lucky guys get a gf in india)…that in itself is a reason to feel super… go to goa with her, enjoy life, dont just stack up…

Dude, whats wrong with you? I am assuming you are under 30, as you seem to expect that once you complete a certain hurdle, the world owes you your reward. The world doesnt work like that. I have beaten out many people with more experience, credentials, etc for positions based on interviewing and convincing the hiring manager that I am the right person for the job despite my weaker resume points. There is a disturbing cultural phenomenon in our country that young people are owed something. None of us are owed anything but the fundamental rights we have under the law. Everything else you have to work for. So try taking a different approach as yours doesnt seem to be suiting your expectations. Or lower your expectations. Be willing to take a junior position to get the experience. Im sure it doesnt help to have people around you that dont appear supportive either. How are these people supposed to judge you? Did they walk in your shoes and become successful, and look down on you because you didnt do as well as they did? People only affect your self esteem if you allow them to. Plenty of people dont like me in my organization, but guess what, I dont care because they have no idea what I have gone through. Snap out of it and examine your goals and decide if they are the right ones or even realistic before you hold yourself to some ideal that takes you down the self destructive path you seem to be on right now.

cheer up, cheer up, you can only live once so you decide how you live not your girlfriend or your dad…what if both of them left you? would you still be able to figure out all the purposes of doing things? make the decision, stick with it and enjoy life. you can do this.

SAML1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t want to fall behind,I am going mad. Dood you are putting an absurd amount of pressure on yourself caring about what other people what of you and comparing yourself to some imagined idea, get real bro, do what YOU want.

My advice is to you Sam is see a doctor… depression at the end of the day is a low level of serotonine level that can have you have negative thoughts. Some pills for some time and some rest and you should be fine. Careers are not all in life… Do some yoga since you are indian, it might help you. By the way your dad may be needing some help too. There is a chinese proverb who says whatever does not kill you make you stronger. I’ve seen people coming out from nothing and suceeding in life and careers. At that time where the world is still recovering from recession you should consider that you are lucky to have a job, just think of people who are married and have children and where both the wife and the husband have lost their jobs. Be patient persistence is key, in some time you will find out the career that what you want. And if the dad and gf are not happy, too bad for them. For the moment think of yourself first until you are out of this mood. Then things are going to sort out by themselves in due time.