DJing/Promoting as Work Experience

Hey guys, I just passed level 1 and will be applying for jobs more related to my field after I get my finance degree in December. Currently i’m doing “finance” for the Canadian Government. Anyways, I’ve been DJing/promoting in clubs all throughout University (which I’m stopping once I graduate). Is this something I should put on my resume or should I leave it out since they might assume that I’m some kid who gets hammered every weekend and is not serious about my career. When a few students from my program got a tour at Lehman Brothers last year, one of the managers said it’s a good idea to put interesting things on your resume that will make you stand out a little from everyoen else. I’m thinking this could be seen as good expereince since I had to network and plan many events. Any thoughts?

Don’t list it as work experience… if you want to list it, put it under Interests/Activities at the end of your resume. Some people say not to even list interests on a resume, but if you have room for it and nothing else to put down, I would go for it. I have a one line “interests & activities” at the end of my resume, and it has always come up in interviews and led to good discussions. But, after I put down my current internship on my resume, that part will come off as I will need the extra room.

I have no response to your question, but I was just wondering–what kind of music?

I wouldnt put it on the resume, only because I believe people will have the reaction you suggest (fair or unfair).

If your resume does not have any more relevant work experience I would put it as work experience however I would not put DJing on there …I would put something like Promortions/Marketing Co-ordinator or Event Management …and write a little blurb about how you organised various social events …etc … no need to indicate if it was a booze fest or a schmooze fest

Unless you can honestly spin it in a very serious business manner (keep the word “club” out of it), I’d only list briefly on an interest line or not at all. I have 1 line for a hobby on my resume.

XSellSide-maybe you need another hobby or two?

I wish I had more time for the one hobby I do have. I only listed the one I’m very serious about. Yes, I could probably list a few more interests on the same line. Good idea.

Xsellside - this was very clever… "Unless you can honestly spin it "

kevinf12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Xsellside - this was very clever… > > "Unless you can honestly spin it " Hehe, like that? :wink: What I was trying to say is if this venture was a business first, and an excuse to get hammered second, then you can make a note of it. Again, I wouldn’t give this more than 1 line on the resume unless you had an LLC with employees and the like.

It’s Wall Street Rap, maybe? I was checkin out WAMU at $5.31, When I realized I was out half a ton, My gold was crashing all round mah side, Lost 10 pee cent since the top 'o dat ride. I used to have dollahs awl ovah da place, Wit my girl in Euroland, I’m lost in space. Market blues have me blowin my load, Maybe now’s de time to be loadin some blow. Chica boom chica boom chica QQQ

A rule of thumb for resumes; More is not better, better is better.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys… I think I will put it under interest & activities as some of you have mentioned and as Sellside said put more of a business spin on it and concentrate on the promoting/organizing instead of the actual djing. Asprining analyst: I spin House, Hip-Hop, Dancehall, r&b. Pretty much anything you’ll hear in a club. I used to make mixtapes regularly but was so busy studying for level 1 and with University I haven’t made one in like a year. Hopefully I can do one before school starts again in Sept.

do you go to carleton? just curious because ive always wondered about finance with govt. a lot of places there sound decent (bank of canada, EDC, CMHC) but some others sound more liek accounting.

Yeah i do go to Carleton. Government is amazing for benefits and pension… Im gonna look into Treasury Board and Bank of Canada but right now I’m at Health Canada so the finance jobs in there are more accounting based.

hey im a dj too! i spin progressive house. just passed level one! good luck to everyone else who is waiting on their results. you can check out my mix at www.xstreamist.com/djvas …you gotta select the “Mix” button at the top of the page and then you can stream it or download it. if you dj’ed and made money to help get you through school, i agree to list under interests/hobbies if you dont have anything better to take up the space.

Progressive/tech house dj here too! ~bloop beep!

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey im a dj too! i spin progressive house. just > passed level one! good luck to everyone else who > is waiting on their results. > > you can check out my mix at > www.xstreamist.com/djvas …you gotta select the > “Mix” button at the top of the page and then you > can stream it or download it. > > if you dj’ed and made money to help get you > through school, i agree to list under > interests/hobbies if you dont have anything better > to take up the space. I’m listening to it now Skip-- I love house… hot mix…

Yes, this is what I’m talking about!! House music for the win babies. (Sorry to jack this thread by the way, Floor Filler, but it seems like you got an answer to your question). Skip, I can’t listen to that mix right now but I recognize a few of those tracks… good stuff. What DJs are you guys big fans of? A couple of you mentioned progressive house, I guess I lean more on the just plain ol’ house side. Went to Europe recently, which was ridiculous. Saw Trentemoller at this club on the 11th floor of some like, abandoned industrial site overlooking Amsterdam. That was basically the highlight of my weekend… guy was doing things I have never heard before and didn’t think were possible, haha. Crowd was going nuts. Then went to a huge festival a couple days later where Dubfire and Sven Vath were spinning. Not a huge SV fan, but Dubfire was just plain filth. Recently saw Tom Stephan/Superchumbo down in DC, and thinking about heading up to NYC tomorrow night to see Steve Lawler at Cielo. Been years since I’ve seen that man, but by all accounts he’s as nasty as ever. Glad to see some fellow house listeners on here.

OK, I’m officially hijaking this thread (sorry floor_filler!) and I’m linking up a couple of sets of mine. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4G5JVVPN Tracklist 1.Djuma Soundsystem: Les Djinns (Trentemoller mix) 2.The Knife: You Take My Breath Away (Mylo mix) 3.Shape UK: Sensitivity (Heller’s Phela dub) 4.Parham & Plaza: Gun (Mashtronic rmx) 5.Who’s Who: Not So Dirty (Steve Angello mix) 6.Iio: Is it Love? (Starkiller’s rmx) 7.Marc Marberg: Guarana Total Time: 38:13 ********** http://www.megaupload.com/?d=67G4ZJTA Tracklist 1. Perseverance – James Zabiela 2. Arguru – Deadmau5 (EDX_s_5unshine_remix) 3. Barcelona - Misstress Barbara 4. Europa – Pryda 5. What Planet You On – Bodyrox feat. Luciana (Deadmau5 remix) 6. Brasilia – Federico Epis 7. Roots4Acid – Rocco 8. In White Rooms – Booka Shade 9. Collapse – Gold Ryan 10. The Girls from Brazil – Stel feat. Natasha 11. Symphony - Lee Wharton & Jay Lloyd (Chris Barratt remix) 12. Balaton – Pryda 13. Mr Horowitz – BCML (Way Out West remix) 14. Ribcage – Dubfire 15. Magic M - Lucio Aquilina 16. Break my Mind - Oliverio & MOS (Hernan Cattaneo & John Tonks remix) 17. The Look (I Feel Sexy) - Steve Angello (D.Ramirez Big Room mix) 18. Aint it Funky – Trevor Rockliffe 19. Silverlake Pills – Gui Boratto Total Time: 2:01:06