Do you put "MBA" behind your name ?

It is lame. Even if you told some one who have an MBA, the next question is; Where from?

I went to b-school (Wharton '06) and absolutely none of the folks I keep in touch with currently put MBA after their name. It’s a big school though, so I’m sure one or two have taken that step.

retail sales people put it on their card but that is more a form of marketing as there is no barrier to entry in the retail side. if you are giving your card to industry people or colleagues then no need

how about PhD? seems pretty common to add. PhD>MBA

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how about PhD? seems pretty common to add. PhD>MBA they put Dr. D-bag

I think it’s important to put MBA and/or CFA after your name in certain situations. If you are an independent entrepreneur in the financial services sector, then yes, you should inform clients of your knowledge level and your business card should have MBA and/or CFA after your name. When starting your career, after making a good first impression and mentioning your educational qualifications, that person may meet another new face half an hour later and forget what you said. Putting it after your name, modestly in smaller print, would serve as a reminder to help you stand out. If the situation is such that all people have an MBA like in an executive conference, then perhaps it may be inappropriate to put the MBA/CFA after your name. But I doubt business is turned down because someone has high credentials and informs colleagues about them. In the end, you should never be ashamed of your hard work. Promote it and be modest about it. Some people may laugh at you, but for every jealous critic there are many others who will admire and respect you for educational achievements s long as you remain modest.

I’ve only ever known one guy who did it. His MBA was from UNLV and it was a pretty big joke.

for every jealous critic there are many others > who will admire and respect you for educational These others are likely also DB’s. We have discussed this before and the consensus is DB! Sorry.

JonathanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s important to put MBA and/or CFA after > your name in certain situations. If you are an > independent entrepreneur in the financial services > sector, then yes, you should inform clients of > your knowledge level and your business card should > have MBA and/or CFA after your name. When starting > your career, after making a good first impression > and mentioning your educational qualifications, > that person may meet another new face half an hour > later and forget what you said. Putting it after > your name, modestly in smaller print, would serve > as a reminder to help you stand out. If the > situation is such that all people have an MBA like > in an executive conference, then perhaps it may be > inappropriate to put the MBA/CFA after your name. > But I doubt business is turned down because > someone has high credentials and informs > colleagues about them. In the end, you should > never be ashamed of your hard work. Promote it and > be modest about it. Some people may laugh at you, > but for every jealous critic there are many others > who will admire and respect you for educational > achievements s long as you remain modest. Crap.

JonathanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s important to put MBA and/or CFA after > your name in certain situations. If you are an > independent entrepreneur in the financial services > sector, then yes, you should inform clients of > your knowledge level and your business card should > have MBA and/or CFA after your name. When starting > your career, after making a good first impression > and mentioning your educational qualifications, > that person may meet another new face half an hour > later and forget what you said. Putting it after > your name, modestly in smaller print, would serve > as a reminder to help you stand out. If the > situation is such that all people have an MBA like > in an executive conference, then perhaps it may be > inappropriate to put the MBA/CFA after your name. > But I doubt business is turned down because > someone has high credentials and informs > colleagues about them. In the end, you should > never be ashamed of your hard work. Promote it and > be modest about it. Some people may laugh at you, > but for every jealous critic there are many others > who will admire and respect you for educational > achievements s long as you remain modest. Turd.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JonathanC Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think it’s important to put MBA and/or CFA > after > > your name in certain situations. If you are an > > independent entrepreneur in the financial > services > > sector, then yes, you should inform clients of > > your knowledge level and your business card > should > > have MBA and/or CFA after your name. When > starting > > your career, after making a good first > impression > > and mentioning your educational qualifications, > > that person may meet another new face half an > hour > > later and forget what you said. Putting it > after > > your name, modestly in smaller print, would > serve > > as a reminder to help you stand out. If the > > situation is such that all people have an MBA > like > > in an executive conference, then perhaps it may > be > > inappropriate to put the MBA/CFA after your > name. > > But I doubt business is turned down because > > someone has high credentials and informs > > colleagues about them. In the end, you should > > never be ashamed of your hard work. Promote it > and > > be modest about it. Some people may laugh at > you, > > but for every jealous critic there are many > others > > who will admire and respect you for educational > > achievements s long as you remain modest. Big brown trout.

Florida_Gator, GED

I know a girl who puts “B.S” after her name. I find her irritating and fake. The general advice is to only put credentials behind your name that are specific to the audience. An MBA, PHD, and JD are not specific enough. MD indicates that you are a medical doctor…which has special legal and expert significance, thus that should be after the name.

markbot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know a girl who puts “B.S” after her name. I > find her irritating and fake. > > The general advice is to only put credentials > behind your name that are specific to the > audience. An MBA, PHD, and JD are not specific > enough. MD indicates that you are a medical > doctor…which has special legal and expert > significance, thus that should be after the name. A Ph.D is acceptable. Even CFA.

I’d definitely put “CFA” behind my name after I receive my charterholder. I mean, with all the sacrifice the charterholder put out, they are entitled to. MBA - as long as it came from top uni, why not? It’s not like everyday someone got accepted to top 10 b-school. Unfortunately from people I’ve met that actually put MBA after their name actually got it from less reputable one - compensating for something maybe?

As markbot said, if a qualifier after your name sends signal to your intended audience, I think it is appropriate to put that. I hope you will be kind enough to not run me out of this forum for the following thoughts. Before you flame, remember that I cherish the knowledge I have gained while studying for CFA. Anytime MBA comes up, some folks on this forum get very defensive. Is it due to some kind of complex? MBA and CFA are so different that you do not have to be defensive if he/she has CFA but not MBA. While CFA is a much more focused designation and its test structure is so that it is not possible for every body to pass it easily as opposed to getting an MBA. Having said that, if you structure CFA into 12 separate semester-level courses (4 or may be 5 courses per CFA level), I do not think it is very different from the courses given at MBA level. Of course, the content would be different, but passing each one of them is not very different at all. CFA levels are difficult mostly due to the way it is organized and you mostly do it while holding a full-time job and maybe even raising a family. Having said that, the structure does allow anybody to get through MBA and is very difficult to get through CFA. Once you have CFA, I wonder if just because you have CFA designation, you are an able money manager or an analyst. If you create ability distribution of people with CFA, there will a huge dispersion. You may see three to four peaks which huge separations.

i have an MBA and a CFA. my thoughts: anyone can get an MBA anyone whose dad is rich can get a top 5 MBA not everyone can get a CFA

What if universities split CFA into twelve courses and put it out as a degree. Maybe it is already there in some form like MS in Finance, but I am not sure about its content. I have taken course during my MBA and I really do not see any difference in the level of difficulty of the material. Again I am not trying to show off, but I just graduated with MBA. I was in the evening MBA program (you can laugh all you want about the evening program but I do not think it is any different than full time, at least not at UT and I did take few daytime courses that confirmed this beyond doubt) at UT Austin while holding a full time job and raising a family with two kids. I started my MBA in Fall 2006. I was thrilled by economics, accounting, and corp fin courses and got interested in finance. Somebody told me to finish CFA level II by the time I graudate if I am passionate enough to break into finance. Anyway, I took CFA Level I in Dec 2007, CFA level II in Jun 2008 and just appeared at level III and I really do not think the material is itself that complicated. It is just the structure and the way CFAI conducts these exams. You have to hold four-courses worth of material in your head and then deal with CFAI weirdness in the exams. Just because CFAI makes the questions ambiguous does not make CFA material harder. Also, the market for MBA is huge compared to the market for CFA and that mostly explains why a small percentage of people are interested in CFA.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i have an MBA and a CFA. my thoughts: > > anyone can get an MBA > anyone whose dad is rich can get a top 5 MBA > not everyone can get a CFA Where and when did you get your MBA? I have never seen any MBA type trait in your posts, or you are confusing it with actuary? You have been bashing business school graduates for as long as I remember. Do you need any help?

I agree with needhelp very strongly. JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i have an MBA and a CFA. my thoughts: > > > > anyone can get an MBA > > anyone whose dad is rich can get a top 5 MBA > > not everyone can get a CFA > > > Where and when did you get your MBA? I have never > seen any MBA type trait in your posts, or you are > confusing it with actuary? You have been bashing > business school graduates for as long as I > remember. Do you need any help?