Do you think nurses are heros?

many folks are stessed and worried and scared right now, and nurses are doing an amazing job lifting our spirits with their hilarious Tik Tok videos

What the hell

1 Like

lol loved the movie. fun fact. it was made in 2000. before the markets died for the next 3 years. haha

No nurses are part of a leech sucking resources from our great nation. They are working hard for their outsized pay these days but they are no more a hero than the Devil incarnate. If I believed in such beings.

Just let them ■■■■■■■ have it you bunch of miserable old berks

These are people who have eschewed the pursuit of power/influence/material goods in favour of a career based solely on caring for and helping people. That’s probably a philosophical notion far beyond most of your ken.

Congrats on living in Narnia where troops are fighting for freedom and garbage men are in it for the sanitation effort.

Nearly all my female friends were nurses in my 20’s. None of them took the field for monk like aspirations. In the outdoor sports industry its probably the most common job by a mile outside construction because its stable above average pay, flexible schedules and flexible location. The ones that could have done other careers specialized (Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthetist, etc) and are making $150k a year, they absolutely did it because it’s solid money. The ones that remained run of the mill nurses by and large did it because to them $80k is good money and they weren’t capable of much else. If you sat and listened to them b*tch about their patients 24/7 or gathering all their friends to admire/mock unconscious post-op patients dongs on a routine schedule its hard to hold that hot take. Like saying policeman are just in it to fight crime when we all know it had to do with being a straight C student in high school and the pension. If you get into the field and don’t specialize you 99% took it because it’s decent pay regardless of skill and you couldn’t have made it in any other career.

Nurses make well above the median US household pay.

3 Likes

i like hot nurses.

1 Like

Nurses are modern day mercenaries. You have no idea.

Me and the boys growing up set a goal to only marry a nurse. We ran through the profession list and landed on nurses making the best wives (shift work, good pay, pension, generally stable and caring people). Predictably, none of us followed through on that.

if u wanted to be a millionaire, i hear marrying a teacher is the best profession

1 Like

I’m pretty sure mercenaries ahem, private military contractors, are modern day mercenaries.

Like BS, I’ve dated several women in the healthcare field, and I’ve gotta say, the bat-■■■■ crazy population seems to be over-represented in nurses. Perhaps I just have poor taste and/or bad luck, but some of them are straight up yikes

I’ve dated a bunch of nurses. But I got serious with about 3. In hs I dated this chick that eventually became a nurse. We tried to rekindle things around 23 ish. . I dated another nurse I met at a club crawl. She ended up blocking me because I kept going out and posting ridiculous ■■■■ on snap. And another nurse I met in Vegas but she lived in the oc. She lived too far. She never got mad at my ■■■■ boy ways though which is I’m single when I’m lit. And I was pretty lit until about 30. You know I can literally count with 2 hands how many times I’ve been in the club past 30. Whereas before that every year I’d say I went clubbing twice a week. If my 25 yo self could see me now he’d prolly be pretty disappointed. I can actually still pull at the club though. Went to 1 before the shut down. 1 chick literally Bumped into me accidentally and grabbed my arm and was like oh hey how you doing. Bitcoin was in shock. Literally I did not try. And chicks try to start convos. Also chicks like to shake their ass in front of me to the point were grinding. And though most of the time it’s tight places and could be accidental. It ain’t! Although to be honest I’m a pro at positioning at a club. I swear I’m like Altair, like I got eagle vision on where all the hot chicks are and position my buddies close. Usually it’s cuz I’m hollering but now I just stand around like a beta and watch… saddddddd

Nope it’s nurses. The people you mention are valuable and don’t try to deceive. Nurses on the other hand…

I’m not giving an opinion either way, but I think the major hole in your argument is that, outside of disaster/military medicine, most healthcare workers aren’t doing an inherently dangerous job or doing it without the anticipation of appropriate risk mitigation. Construction workers are on the side of the road with cones for protection, using heavy machinery, and walking on steel beams above a dirt lot, which is a lot more dangerous, generally speaking, than working with a patient who may have a communicable disease (until typical safety features are removed). Again, I’m not giving an opinion either way, but I think your example is lacking.

I’m specifically talking about construction workers killed by traffic, not the reasons you quoted. I don’t think those two things are that different. Also, the point remains that just because your job went from non-dangerous to very mildly statistically dangerous (100 deaths in the US) does not suddenly make one a hero.

The debate rages on.

Thinking more about it, it’s not so much that nurses are heroes or police officers, or military men/women etc. So in a sense, I retract my previous statement. It’s more about heroic acts. A nurse could decide not to work in a COVID world, and I’m sure some have. A police officer could pull their gun out fear and kill somebody using a cell phone. Draft dodgers become war deserters once in combat. The job itself doesn’t make a hero.

But you can’t deny those nurses who are going to work and putting themselves in danger to help others are performing a heroic act. The construction guy isn’t planning to be hit by a distracted driver - the threat is there, but it is extremely remote. The firefighter who runs into the house to save a cat (or a baby) is performing a heroic act. The firefighter who doesn’t could be considered a coward. It’s all in the perspective. I’m sure some of you have performed a heroic act at some point or another. Nurses and health care workers just get that opportunity with more regularity.

I’m a Charterholder who went on to become a nurse (and soon to be nurse practitioner).

Do I think nurses are heroes? I personally don’t get into the habit of idealizing any profession. Keep in mind that a lot of nurses working now have no choice but to keep working or face termination (or without a paycheck). We didn’t sign up to put our lives in danger…that was never part of the job. We signed up to provide care for people using our skills in exchange for a good living. Of course there are risks, but generally not life-threatening risks. Some nurses quit during the crisis, and that’s understandable because they have to put their families first.

People who think nurses don’t get paid well are mistaken. Nurses get paid well (sometimes extremely well) for the level of education. Where else can you make $60-90k with an associate degree or a low-ranking (or non-ranked) bachelor’s within a couple years of graduation? Nurses working in unionized hospitals in my area can make $120k with a bachelors (so can travel nurses), and some nurses in California can make $200k (though consider cost of living).

Nurse practitioners in certain specialties (or in rural areas) can make $150k-$200k+ even if they had gone to diploma mills with a <3.0 GPA (yeah, it’s twisted…). That’s more money than some folks who went to top-tier MBA programs?? Some nurse practitioners can and do work from home (tele-medicine, tele-psychiatry), we can pick up on-call gigs and charge quite a large amount of money, and build our own private practices.

Although I definitely didn’t go into nursing for the money, a lot of nurses did. I’ve met and worked with many nurses who are just downright nasty and/or clueless, and some nurses go into the profession wanting to be idealized and admired (that’s their reward). Yes, some nurses really are angles, but people do incredible things during crisis regardless of their professions.

^ Well said. The peanut gallery was making progress but this sums it up nicely. It’s settled then. Not all nurses are heroes, however some can perform heroic acts in the moment. They make above average pay despite their general lack of academic prowess, but this shouldn’t impact their heroic standing - if in fact they’re displaying heroism in the face of adversity. Breathe.

On an unrelated note, interesting combo, CFA/Nurse. That’s seemingly a compete 180 career change. Commendable.