Does beer nullify your workout?

So say you workout thursday/ friday noon and then booze friday night. In college a few guys said you lose all the workout’s benefits if you booze but i find it hard to believe. Discuss, tanks.

I think it’s a calorie-in-to-burned type ratio. Haven’t done any real exercise in a long time and I’m not overweight. Just cut like a bag of milk, if you know what I mean. Also, I drink nearly every day so that must mean my brain is burning more calories than I consume drinking. Lady’s dig the dad bod anyhow, don’t bother wasting your energy in the gym.

This is how I see it: when you work out, you tear and break down your muscles. By the end of the workout, your muscles are weaker than before the workout. So the progress happens during recovery, when your body repairs the microdamage that the workout has done to your muscles. But does beer prevent this recovery? Or does it only delay it? Looking at it from a layman’s angle, it should only delay it. After all, your muscles are already damaged after a workout. Your body will repair the damage at some point, IMO

Alcohol is catabolic. Stay anabolic my friends.

So it’s a simplification. Many people work out to burn calories for those people the massive intake of beer carbs could imperfectly nullify the workout (although the workout still saved them from a large surplus). However it doesn’t mess with the strain and rebuild of muscle, so that impact is largely unaffected.

I learned from Arnold that beer is for men, and milk is for babies.

Beer is a reward for your workout.

Well, good beer is.

I’d rather drink real, good beer and run five miles than drink lousy beer. I’ll be picking up some German hefeweizen at Total Wine later today, to accompany tonight’s barbecued pork ribs, black beans, and grilled corn.

Does Bud Light and Keystone Light count as good beer? They go great with burgers and coleslaw.

No, they doesn’t.

Don’t fall into the wine tasting fallacy! Blind testing has revealed that 5 dollar bottles very often get better scores in blind testing that “superior” premium-level wines. Same thing applies to beer.

Don’t be like this guy:

1 Like

I never said anything about craft beers or expensive beers or inexpensive beers.

Craft or not, expensive or not, inexpensive or not, my experience is that light beers are gross.

But their drinkability is great and that’s also very important.

I have no idea what “drinkability” is.

Apparently it doesn’t mean that they taste good.

Drinkability means that you can down a twelve pack of them and not have a hell of a hangover the next day. Aka they’re easy to drink, not heavy and the taste is OK. Very important info on the 4th.

Um . . . yuck!

I would never want to drink a twelve-pack (or even a six-pack) of anything.

The ends justify the means, in my humble, but correct, opinion. If you’re not getting absolutely wasted, drinking is a waste of time. No drink is that tasty…it’s about getting obliterated and getting to another mental state, like, using the HOV lane. Never understood the folks that just drink 1-2 drinks a day, it’s like, what’s the point? In fact, it’s why I’ve all but abandoned beer altogether — it just takes way too long. I now pretty much rely on hard liquor; it cuts the middleman right out. A 12-pack would get me there, but then I just feel bloated and gross. Several stiff drinks in extra large rocks glasses, on the other hand, and I’m frickin’ sailing…

1 Like

Apparently, they are denoted as “value” beers. :roll_eyes:

Amen. If you decide to put some alcohol into your body, might as well do it 100%.

You clearly haven’t experienced the thrill of getting hammered with your teammates and a few good looking blondes after a great game.

Hear hear!

1 Like