Drinking a requirement for sucess in Finance

I don’t drink, I haven’t really had any problems with that until now. But as I have passed Level III and moved up in my career, people tell me that I should drink to make friends with the “big boys”. I don’t drink because I don’t want to and because of my religion. Is this going to hurt me in the long run?

It might hurt a bit but so what?

A recent study published by The Journal of Labor Research shows that drinkers earn 10 to 14 percent more than those who avoid the bottle altogether. The reason? The study contends it’s something called social capital. That is, the more you’re out enjoying a drink, the more people you meet. The more people you meet, the more doors that are opened for you professionally. And as is the general rule in the business world—it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

It shouldn’t hurt you. It will hurt you if you make a big deal about it being against your religion. Just say no thanks and order a soda or water or whatever you prefer. If you’re really paranoid about it, order a tonic water or coke and ask the bartender to serve it in a low-ball glass (i think thats what they’re called). That way, it will look like you’re drinking…

What religion if you don’t mind me asking?

Look at the other side of coin. You can work better with people that share your religion

shouldn’t hurt as long as you are buying the lap dances for everyone

cfa_toronto_on, I had the same concern being a non-drinker due to religious concerns. Just started working, and next month is our first department night out, so initially I was concerned about how to handle that, given the shocked reactions I often encounter when people find out. However, I think FIAnalyst has a point…it all depends on how you handle it. I’m going to try playing it low key, I think you can still go out for a drink and order whatever you’re comfortable with - at least you’re still socializing! and bryant, as a Muslim myself, i’d guess Islam…alcohol is prohibited to us.

Also, you say you’re a level III…I doubt it’ll be a big issue in the grand scheme of things :-). (i hope, haha, i have a long way to go myself:P)

I don’t drink (I’ll have A beer on occasion) and I don’t think it’s hurt me. People will respect your religion, I’d hope. More important is your ability to be personable and fun in a social setting. I’ve found that what you are drinking and in what quantity doesn’t matter as long as you can be “one of the guys” after hours. Drinking or not hasn’t hurt me in social settings, but not being into football whatsoever has lost me in more than one conversation.

Muslim? Yea i know, your out, someone offers a drink, you say “no”…everyone gives you a look. happens alot to me. FIanalyst said it right. plus dont put alcohol before religion… im muslim btw

I work with a guy who doesn’t drink because of religion and because he doesn’t want to. He still comes to all the happy hours, and genuinely likes hanging out and BSing with everyone (whether they’re drunk or not). I think that if you’re a type of non-drinker that gets very annoyed at people who are drinking and so you avoid social situations outside of the office, then maybe you might miss a key contact or two along the way. But, as far as my co-worker goes, no one notices because he’s always fun to have around and doesn’t make a big deal about it.

depends on what you do too…i think in s&t, it may cost you 25+% over the long run

Haha, yes, the look…but I find for the most part people do respect religion…I don’t make a big deal of it, and I do make a point of going to all the happy hours etc. because I think its important. Anyways, a Perrier on the rocks is what I stick to usually:P Football! yes, i so agree, actually being the only female in my department, I’ve actually started to follow football just so I can join the club! I was encourage to “break the mould” Basically, cfa_toronto_on, I’d say if you’re not a football fan already…pretend! Works for me! These people annoy me as well: “I think that if you’re a type of non-drinker that gets very annoyed at people who are drinking and so you avoid social situations outside of the office, then maybe you might miss a key contact or two along the way.” I’m all for not passing judgement.

whoa I didn’t expect so many responses so fast! Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I will have to make up for not drinking by inviting hot women to come join us. JK I don’t make a big deal of it and neither do most ppl. Its just I find when I am sitting with some old 50+ senior managers or whatever and me being a 20 something they kind of react strangely to it. Most 20 somethings don’t care but these old geezers are the key to moving up so I’d better find a way to get along with them. How about Karoke?

As a muslim, isn’t earning interest also a faux-pas? (what are the views on capital gains?) You’re in the wrong industry dudes!

you should put your belief/principle first… if you don’t drink, whatever the reason might be, don’t start drinking just to get along… and don’t order a coke in a low-ball glass to make it look like alcohol…respect yourself! and by the way, if you are muslim, then drink or no drink…football or no football…you are screwed anyway…sorry…not trying to be mean…just harsh reality; get used to it!

Some people get pissed if a guy doesn’t drink liquor…not me, I have no problem if they stick to beer

WHAT?

XSellSide - The football thing! ha ha ha… I thought I was the only one that has affected. I don’t follow sports at all, so when the good ole boys start bs’ing about them I just fade into the background. I haven’t really figured out a way to combat that one and I am not willing to start watching just to have something to talk about. How do you handle it? XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t drink (I’ll have A beer on occasion) and I > don’t think it’s hurt me. People will respect your > religion, I’d hope. More important is your ability > to be personable and fun in a social setting. I’ve > found that what you are drinking and in what > quantity doesn’t matter as long as you can be “one > of the guys” after hours. > > Drinking or not hasn’t hurt me in social settings, > but not being into football whatsoever has lost me > in more than one conversation.