Earrings

Is it unacceptable for a guy to wear an earring in the workplace?

I think the better question is…is it acceptable for a guy to wear an earring…period.

in finance …YES it is frowned upon . Maybe a little more acceptable if you’re in advertising /marketing but even that is a stretch . I would leave that to weekend wear only .

LOL. Most companies have dress codes. Growing a beard (a SHORT well trimmed beard) is mostly acceptable. Long hair (of maximum length down to your collar) for the most part is more acceptable than beards for a male in most companies. But you must maintain the long hair well and not look like a bum, a terrorist, or a criminal… just common sense. If you can pull off the long hair and the company doesn’t allow you to wear earrings but you want to anyways, you can hide your ears with the long hair.

Is there anything to gain from an earring in the workplace?

Yes if you are gay.

If your job is to put makeup on people, dig ditches, or put stickers on fruit I think it is absolutely acceptable. If your job requires thinking, not so much.

lol just the kind of answer I was expecting. Looks like I’m going to retire the earring.

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If your job is to put makeup on people, dig > ditches, or put stickers on fruit I think it is > absolutely acceptable. > > If your job requires thinking, not so much. So ditchdigger2CFA wears a earring?

My husband is a creative director. He wears board shorts and flip flops to work everyday weather permitting (…and if he decides to actually go). He shows his tattoo. He doesn’t always wash his hair. Production houses take him out to dinner and buy him stuff. He gets paid more than me. Rant over. (…sigh)

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My husband is a creative director. He wears board > shorts and flip flops to work everyday weather > permitting (…and if he decides to actually go). > He shows his tattoo. He doesn’t always wash his > hair. Production houses take him out to dinner > and buy him stuff. He gets paid more than me. > > Rant over. (…sigh) On a serious note, I would find that very acceptable - and normal. I have friends in creative art too - and they do not give a damn about formal wear. I would be concerned if a twenty something CFA analyst wannabee had the same traits.

Analysts or bankers: For men: a suit, short gelled hair, slight to medium balding at the crown, small razor bumps on neck from shaving so much, white or light blue shirt (rarely royal blue). Slightly overweight with small spare tire. For women: blazer and long pants, short to medium hair (never ever long), excessive jewelery, stressed out face, and if tanned, only slightly. Correct me if I am wrong.

I don’t use gel, I use a “molding paste” much better, and I’m not balding or overweight. Conservative dress is true though. I used to have long hair with both ears and my cartilage pierced in college. Junior year when I was interviewing for internships I had the good sense to lose the earrings and cut my hair…I think this is pretty much common sense. Although I do still have a tattoo for whatever that’s worth. TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Analysts or bankers: > > For men: a suit, short gelled hair, slight to > medium balding at the crown, small razor bumps on > neck from shaving so much, white or light blue > shirt (rarely royal blue). Slightly overweight > with small spare tire. > > For women: blazer and long pants, short to medium > hair (never ever long), excessive jewelery, > stressed out face, and if tanned, only slightly. > > Correct me if I am wrong.

Haha. I thought the title of the thread said “Earnings” at first.

I wear a Prince Albert piercing to work. The comments (usually in the bathroom or during lunch) are not unfavorable.

True story: my first job out of grad school, the first day i met my supervisor who was a highly qualified person, he was wearing a ruby red earring in his left ear. just one. i was speechless and i think that first meeting went very badly cuz i was kind of in shock. didnt work out with that guy in the end.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’ Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If your job is to put makeup on people, dig > > ditches, or put stickers on fruit I think it is > > absolutely acceptable. > > > > If your job requires thinking, not so much. > > > So ditchdigger2CFA wears a earring? I was thinking of the scene in Caddyshack where the caddy was attempting to gain sympathy from the judge in hopes of a college scholarship and the judge said “the world needs ditch diggers too.” Ditchdigger2CFA probably doesn’t wear an earring.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Analysts or bankers: > > For women: blazer and long pants, short to medium > hair (never ever long), excessive jewelery, > stressed out face, and if tanned, only slightly. > > Correct me if I am wrong. LOL… my a$$ As long as there aren’t any external director meetings or investment managers coming through, I basically whatever I want as long as it’s below the knee, nix the cleavage and has sleeves.

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Haha. I thought the title of the thread said > “Earnings” at first. I thought it did too. The mind sees what it wants to see.

These days, if you are bringing the revenue, the MAN would most likely give you a pass. Otherwise, if you are a junior level person, it would be a great excuse to get laid-off. Remmember, recessions require that you dress the part.