end of the road

I haven’t posted in a while. Some of you may remember I got screwed over by some Russians. I resigned my job in October and then my offer was rescinded. I stopped studying for Level 3. My options aren’t looking very good in this job market. I’m taking the LSAT in Feb and applying to law school instead. I’m just not feeling it for IM like I used to.

Good luck, are you at all interested in securities law?

Why not change your mind and go to business school instead? You never know, it may increase your opportunities and you network your way to a new job.

How are you doing on the practice LSATs?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why not change your mind and go to business school > instead? You never know, it may increase your > opportunities and you network your way to a new > job. I really really don’t like business schools. Plus I suck at math. Edit: I was rejected form Wharton/Lauder, LBS and HEC last year mainly because of my problems with math (97V, 48M on 4 gmat tries). Those were the only MBAs I was interested in. My skill set is better suited for law. I was never particularly passionate about markets.

You stopped studying for level 3? You must not suck at math that much if you passed level II. I can’t imagine MBA school is anymore quantitatively challenging than the CFA which is heavily weighted on finance/quant (math).

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You stopped studying for level 3? You must not > suck at math that much if you passed level II. I > can’t imagine MBA school is anymore quantitatively > challenging than the CFA which is heavily weighted > on finance/quant (math). I can’t do gmat math. CFA math is easy. I worked really hard on CFA… gmat math is just too big a gap in my education to close. last time i did math was 11th grade.

Law school is way more interesting (for me at least). The people I’ve met applying to b-school are way less interesting/intellectually curious than the law students i’ve met. i also see more value in attending a T2 law school than a T2 business school.

lawyers tend to be interesting people, but law work tends to be boring, as far as I can tell.

I don’t know about that, to the outsider law almost certainly seems boring. But what’s boring about choosing your area of expertise, setting your own hours/billing wage, running your own business, and choosing your clients.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >I was never particularly passionate about markets. Wow, sounds like the Russian’s might have done you a favour…(looking long term that is)

I enjoyed learning from you Danteshek. If you are done for sure I wish you the best in your new path.

All the best for your future endeavour - dtsk! I completely agree to the fact that GMAT/GRE maths is way way different than CFA (hypothesis/TimeSeries) maths.

I don’t think GMAT is testing you on math. It’s more logic than math. And I think law requires similar logic forming skills. But hey, if you do decide to go the law way, do it with love instead of being bitter about your past experience.

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know about that, to the outsider law > almost certainly seems boring. But what’s boring > about choosing your area of expertise, setting > your own hours/billing wage, running your own > business, and choosing your clients. Nothing boring with that, if thats what it actually was like. Unless you are hanging a sign on a shingle you better be prepared to be told what your rate is and how many hours you need to bill each year along with bonus potential based on hours by your firm, being an associate to a bunch of partners telling you what to do and the gruntwork, and getting the cases they dont want versus picking who you wanna work with. Your view is the same as someone who says being an entrepreneur is awesome cuz you work for yourself and can make unlimited money and take all the time off you want…come on down to reality…and this isnt to discourage law which I think is actually a good career, but you have to be realistic about what it actually is.

My dad is a lawyer and got offered partnership after 3 years as an associate. Although he’s obviously not working in a metropolis for a downtown prestigious firm. He says looking back he’d probably do it all over again as he likes his work that much and has met some of the most interesting people over his career. I definitely hear what you’re saying tvPM. It just frustrates me reading some posts because I feel like a lot of people on here think the only thing to do is apply to the largest firms and spend the first 15 yrs of their career working as a slave to corporations on Wall/Bay street waiting for the day they finally get a big paycheck. In the world of finance there definitely is some truth to this but there are countless other options out there and like Danteshek is doing, you must find something you really like and enjoy doing or else you’ll probably end up being a pretty miserable person.

To add… we used to always go on a solid month long vacations each year until I graduated high school. So it can be exactly how I just described it. You must look beyond working in the middle of NYC and not be so jaded by the media/movies such as Liar Liar (where Jim Carey is still busting his balls at 35 to make partner) and The Firm (where Tom Cruise is run my the Chicago mob :).

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good luck, are you at all interested in securities > law? Yes. I’m applying to a few DC schools (in addition to mostly CA schools). Regulatory stuff sounds interesting. I’m probably headed to a Tier 2 law school so I doubt I’ll have the chance to securities law in the private sector.

You also have to look at statistics (something like 70% of lawyers are no longer practicing within 5 years) & payback periods for the education (law school is really expensive & those who don’t go to a top 15 school & work for Big Law often never recoup their expenses; the wage differential and career track of associates at big law firms and virtually all other lawyers is massive). Most lawyers are miserable & most outside of Big Law are poor to boot.

mh7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You also have to look at statistics (something > like 70% of lawyers are no longer practicing > within 5 years) & payback periods for the > education (law school is really expensive & those > who don’t go to a top 15 school & work for Big Law > often never recoup their expenses; the wage > differential and career track of associates at big > law firms and virtually all other lawyers is > massive). > > Most lawyers are miserable & most outside of Big > Law are poor to boot. Yeah I am aware. I’m probably not headed to BigLaw. I don’t think I’ll be miserable. I don’t really care about the work. All I want is an upper middle class lifestyle with some stability. Wall St can’t really give me that consistently. Too many ups and downs.