Energy Drinks

Does anyone else drink these while studying? I drink the sugar free one’s and I am wondering the health benefits/adverse effects they may have. For the most part the work well in helping me crank out a study session.

The health effects are no different than coffee. The active ingredient is caffeine. Energy drinks get a bad rap because of their image… They generally have more vitamins etc and are therefore actually better for you than coffee.

I don’t like coffee at all, so energy drinks are my quicker picker upper.

Red Bull is the best hands down.

I like Monster or Rockstar (blue can one).

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The health effects are no different than coffee. > The active ingredient is caffeine. Energy drinks > get a bad rap because of their image… They > generally have more vitamins etc and are therefore > actually better for you than coffee. Basically, an energy drink such as Red Bull works by giving you a jolt of both caffeine and sugar. Take out the sugar (sugar free redbull) and all you’re left with is caffeine. The vitamins in the drink don’t make you any healthier - they are just short-term stimulants. They simply give you higher albeit short-lived energy levels, screw with you’re dopamine levels, while the added kick of caffeine blocks adenosine causing that short lived “flight-or-fight” response. In about 30-45 minutes I typically feel more tired and am more dehydrated than before. Might as well just get the cup of coffee. I just get a venti americano from starbucks. It’s like getting two regular coffee’s for about $3 and thats really all I need - better than purchasing two redbulls for $5. Not to mention, when you go every day they start giving you free coffee - an added plus :slight_smile: But hey, if redbull works for you, than whatever. I don’t know too much about the whole ephedrine issue - but it seems to me that ephedrine mixed with excess levels of the amino acid taurine can’t be good for the heart. Just by 2cents.

red bull for me. I use to drink a lot of coffee but i can tell its not good for me based on how my heart react after a couple cups:)

Energy drinks in the US can no longer contain ephedrine (unfortunately)

From what I’ve heard from my “energy drink fanatic” friends…monster is much stronger (more of a high energy impact) than red bull…thus, my friend did not suggest it to me. I’m thinking of trying one of them this wkd…i will comment if it was indeed effective or not.

I use the caffeine pills that I use while I work out. Not a big fan of energy drinks. Waste of money, imo.

Monster tastes like cough syrup

Red Rain is the exact same thing as Red Bull and $2 vs $3 for a Red bull.

red bull works for me and few friends … for some it doesnt… i find red bull very stimulating and usually have it before all my exams…

I think this whole energy drink thing is a little nutty. E.g. Yardy says that coffee isn’t good for his heart but somehow energy drinks are better? These energy drinks contain caffeine (not that much compared to coffee) and taurine (a component of human bile, yuck). There have been tens of thousands of studies done on the health effects of coffee without too many notable results (some anti-oxidant properties, makes people nervous, no long-term cardiac issues, etc). There haven’t been many a lot of studies done on intake of large amounts of taurine, though it is really clear that taurine has lots of effects. Why would anybody want to get addicted to the caffeine of an energy drink when that means ingesting large amounts of a chemical of really uncertain long-term consequences? (BTW - ephedra is almost certainly worse than taurine and if you are using that for your studying, I would urge you to rethink this plan. People absolutely die from ephedra abuse)

what about green tea in large quantities?

Good plan - green tea is fine for you as far as I know.

Unfortunatly I’m addicted to energy drinks. I’ll have anywhere from 3-5 a week sometimes more if I’m really run down. They just work so well. I only drink sugar free though. After doing my own due diligence on Taurine, the conclusion I found is that long term effects have not yet been determined. The other compound of Gingseng, Ginko, L-Carnitine, etc are relatively harmless from what I have researched. That large intake of caffine though does worry me at times.

Is red bull harmful… i consume 2-3 a week since two years and dont intend to stop for now.

Its all in our minds man:). If we want to drink water and think it will help, i bet it will.

I’ve been told everything in moderation ;-).